PDA

View Full Version : Unique 7900GT Lock-up/crash issue

rufeer
02-14-07, 11:10 AM
I dont typically make threads on forums, I usually find my problems just reading threads, So please bare with me if i do anything noobish :D .

Anyway, Shall i begin? OK well as the thread title says, My 7900gt has been locking up on me and crashing to BoD, not incredibly frequent, but none the less, it has been missbehaving. I NEVER get any artifacts at all, only these lockups/crash, and my card runs between 50c-55c, even on a full load, the latest game ive ran is Rainbow Six : Vegas, and it did not exeed 55c. It has locked-up and crashed in Counterstike Source, Battlefield 2, RB6 Vegas (most recently) im sure it might have happend in a couple others. One thing I just realized is that it typically happens after changing video setting, Im not sure if that might have to do with anything or not. If i allow the lockup to run its path in hope of recovering, i just get a BoD telling me a display driver failed or sumpthin. I found a site that had a picture of what the screen looks like after the lockup and it is here http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html
The 4th picture down is what mine looks like, but without the messed up models.. just the artifacts on the screen

OK, well i think ive told you all that i can about this issue im having, Here are my specs
7900gt (factory clock speeds)
AMD X2 4200+ AM2 64bit
2x 512MB PC6400 RAM
MSI K9N Neo-F Mobo
420w psu

Im using All onboard stuff, no soundcard or anything at all

Thanks in advance for anyone who responds to this, it will be greatly appreciated. :afro2:

And i appoligize for the lengthiness of this thread, im sure i could have made it shorter, but thanks for getting this far!.. lol

OWA
02-16-07, 01:15 AM
Have you tried downclocking the card (gpu and memory) just to see if it still happens?

rufeer
02-16-07, 03:26 AM
I would have already, But i hear nvidia has a way to figure out wether or not the clock speeds have been adjusted. An i dont want to void my warranty incase i need to replace it. It is a stock 7900gt anyway, i dont think the clockspeeds should be the problem

XFX Support
02-16-07, 11:00 AM
You can try a different driver version, use the latest if you dont have it and if you already have it, try a previous version. I would also team with the manufacture and see what they say, as OWA stated they might have you downclock the card a bit to see how it responds.

XFX Support

john19055
02-17-07, 10:59 AM
I am still surprise how well the 7900GT still runs games. I put together a system for my daughter with parts I had laying around ,I installed AMD 4400+
in a ASUS K8N SLI Premium with 1.5gigs of Corsair 3200XL and used the 7900GT and I loaded up Prey and it played at 1280x1024 with everthing max with 4xFSAA and 16x aniso and it stayed at 60FPS.I did put a Zalmam VF 900-Cu on it so the tempertures would not be a problem since it is the Signature Series ran a little warm with the stock cooler.

Maverickman
02-18-07, 11:34 PM
Don't be too upset as you'll soon be springing for a DX10 card once the games come out. The 7-series cards will all be obsolete in just a few months!!!

rufeer
02-19-07, 02:42 AM
Don't be too upset as you'll soon be springing for a DX10 card once the games come out. The 7-series cards will all be obsolete in just a few months!!!

So very true, i guess i can deal with infrequent random lockups for another couple months, im just a little dissapointed in the reliability of this card.

I wanna go ahead and ask aother question, what is with the foggy effect around NPCs in almost all games? they have a foggy glow to them.. and their skin texture is much brighter than they are supposed

rufeer
02-25-07, 08:29 AM
Ok, so they are not so infrequent now, happens everytime i play lotr online beta after 15-30 minutes :( sound continues, but the whole screen artifacts and freezes at the same time. this time i wasnt even moving. just standing there

daforce
02-25-07, 05:30 PM
Have you tried uninstalling your drivers, reboot to safe mode, run driver cleaner, then reboot and reinstall latest drivers?

Might just be a little messed up.

rufeer
03-01-07, 04:59 AM
Ok, well, I did as OWA had suggested and used driver cleaner in safe mode and what not, but i still had lotr beta crash my grphics card after about 15-25 minutes gameplay. But i turned down the graphics to very high instead of ultra high, and put anti-aailising on 2x instead of 4x and managed to play the game for a few hours with no crashes. Is there any particular reason why my 7900gt cant run this game with graphics maxed? i thought it was a high end card that is made to handle that stuff. maybe because it only has 256mb of memory? or could my system memory being at only 1GB have anything to do with running games maxed?

Xion X2
03-01-07, 05:15 AM
Could be a power-supply issue. Do you have another one that you could swap in to test out?

rufeer
03-01-07, 01:55 PM
Could be a power-supply issue. Do you have another one that you could swap in to test out?

Ok, well. no i do not have an extra power supply laying around. Do you think my 420 watt is not putting out enough power?

I also have another issue i would like to bring up, i know this is not video card related, but anytime i leave my computer shut off for a long period of time, When i start it up, i hear a something that sounds like a fan, but deeper than my case, or cpu fan, and it gets slower and slower, then eventually stops, all with in 5 seconds after i power on the computer. But this only happens after the computer has been shut down for a long period of time, Any ideas? maybe i should start a new post in the correct forum for this, but i have no idea where its coming from, i checked to make sure my graphics card, cpu, and power supply fan were all running. as well as all my case fans

daforce
03-01-07, 05:27 PM
Depending on your motherboard you may have a little fan on that too. With my DFI mobo there is a little fan over teh nforce4 chipset. They are not so good and tend to fail fairly easy to I have replaced it with a big passive heatsink and dropped the temps by 20c :)

rufeer
03-01-07, 06:50 PM
Depending on your motherboard you may have a little fan on that too. With my DFI mobo there is a little fan over teh nforce4 chipset. They are not so good and tend to fail fairly easy to I have replaced it with a big passive heatsink and dropped the temps by 20c :)

Well, its funny that you bring that up, because first of all, the mobo i have is a cheap MSI K9N-neo, and they didnt even bother to put a fan on the chipset!! and i think i just figured out that this could be my problem with the lockups! Because i felt the mobo chipset after a lockup and it nearly singed my finger! So i took the side of my puter, put a huge window fan next to it and blasted that in there while i played lotr beta on ultra high settings, and it played flawlessly for 2 1/2 hours! Do you think that this chipset overheating could cause the display to lockup? Im not even 100% sure what the mobo chipset is for. But, it could also be because i disconnected my side mounted case fan when i took the side of my computer, thus giveing the graphics card more power from the psu, I will try running this game again later tonight without the huge fan, to see if it is because the psu is under too much load. I might be leaning towards the psu deal, because after it locked up on me playing cs source today, i didnt reset right away to see what happend, and eventually the graphics card basically turned off i guess, because the monitor went into sleep mode. what do you guys think about that?

Im still curious as to what that slowly stopping fan noise may be :(

P.S. sorry about misdirecting the credit on the driver cleaner tip daforce, not sure how i mixed that one up, but it definately did clean up some other issues i was having, like tha blurry halo deal around characters in games.

daforce
03-01-07, 07:29 PM
The overheatink chipset could definitly be a problem. When my fan seized the heatsink was untouchable.. burnt instantly.. was over 60c Now with the passive cooler its heaps better (thermalright HR-05-SLI)
The PSU could also be the issue as well.. but that hot chipset doesnt sound to good either.

hehehe thats OK about the credit.. just glad it sorted a few things out for you :D

john19055
03-02-07, 11:14 AM
There was lots of problems with the 7900GT memory when they first came out ,I had to RMA 3 of them ,I had a Evga 7900KO GT and it was factory clocked at 500 on the core and 1500 on the memory and I would get those strange artifacts in some of my games not all of them but some of them and it would not finish 3Dmark 06 until I turned down the memory to 1400 and after that it worked fine ,They is no way in the world that they can tell if you underclock your card,or overclock it as far as that goes.they have nothing hiding in the bios to show if the card has even been clocked one way or the other as far as I know,and companies like Evga don't even care if you overclock or downclock,But I think if you would underclock the memory by 50mhz to 100mhz this just might fix that problem ,and if it does work right after you down clock the memory and if the card is still in warranty I would RMA to them and get one that works right.

rufeer
03-03-07, 07:48 AM
There was lots of problems with the 7900GT memory when they first came out ,I had to RMA 3 of them ,I had a Evga 7900KO GT and it was factory clocked at 500 on the core and 1500 on the memory and I would get those strange artifacts in some of my games not all of them but some of them and it would not finish 3Dmark 06 until I turned down the memory to 1400 and after that it worked fine ,They is no way in the world that they can tell if you underclock your card,or overclock it as far as that goes.they have nothing hiding in the bios to show if the card has even been clocked one way or the other as far as I know,and companies like Evga don't even care if you overclock or downclock,But I think if you would underclock the memory by 50mhz to 100mhz this just might fix that problem ,and if it does work right after you down clock the memory and if the card is still in warranty I would RMA to them and get one that works right.

OK, so i tried that, i set my memory clock speed back to 1.10 GHz instead of the stock 1.32, and ended up playing a game on max setting for awhile, no crashes. I have decided i should RMA the card, but i have been trying to get ahold of the company i bought the computer parts from, and i cant! I think they are ducking me, i know that sounds a little far fetched, but i have actually been trying to get ahold of them for a couple months now, and i always get a recording saying that all reps are currently assisting other customers. which is odd, becasue when i bought the computer, i was put on hold, not asked to take leave a message. I went lazy and built the computer online at a place called cyberpowerpc.com the manufacturer of the 7900gt is sparkle. Do you think that sparkle would replace the card for me? or do i have to go through the company i bought the computer from. And also, do you think the card mighy be llimited in power from the psu? and thats why it cant opperat w/o crashing at the full clock speeds?

rufeer
03-06-07, 09:37 PM
Got ahold of cyberpowerpc, they offerd to have the card crossshipped, which will be nice, no down time. I am also gonna see if i cant get it upgraded to a 7950 (i hear only good things about this car) and pay the difference, waiting for the reply