PDA

View Full Version : Weird Intermitent Stutter in BF2

kwynjunk
02-14-07, 05:42 PM
My setup is listed below.

When playing bf2 I get an intermittent stutter. Just real quick but it's annoying.

Not sure what it could be.

I cleaned/removed old drivers and reinstalled new drivers

Bman212121
02-14-07, 05:45 PM
My setup is listed below.

When playing bf2 I get an intermittent stutter. Just real quick but it's annoying.

Not sure what it could be.

I cleaned/removed old drivers and reinstalled new drivers

It is a well known issue with single threaded apps on a dual core processor. If you install the processor driver, and the optimizer, that should solve your problems. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

kwynjunk
02-14-07, 05:51 PM
It is a well known issue with single threaded apps on a dual core processor. If you install the processor driver, and the optimizer, that should solve your problems. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

thanks. ill give that a try

kwynjunk
02-14-07, 06:57 PM

Didn't work. I reinstalled sound drivers too??

Do I have to do anything with the optimizer program after I install it?

kwynjunk
02-15-07, 07:04 AM
Any other suggestions?

Reinstall BF2? OS?

By the way, this only happens in multiplayer. I can play single player 1280x1024 all settings juiced without a hint of a stutter. All options audio/video are set the same for both.

I don't think it is a network problem though because I have low pings/no packet loss/ and I have tried it wireless N/ Wireless G/ Wired to the router/ and straight wired to the cable modem

Madpistol
02-15-07, 02:30 PM
Hmmmmm... I had a similar issue with BF2, but it's because I had Transparency Anti-aliasing enabled, and it was eating up graphics memory. This caused "turning lag" in BF2, which means when I turned really fast, it would cause the framerate to plummet from about 100fps to 20 within a few seconds.

However, this only happend when I turned continuously and extremely fast (meaning so fast that I was turning circles without stoping)

kwynjunk
02-15-07, 02:55 PM
Hmmmmm... I had a similar issue with BF2, but it's because I had Transparency Anti-aliasing enabled, and it was eating up graphics memory. This caused "turning lag" in BF2, which means when I turned really fast, it would cause the framerate to plummet from about 100fps to 20 within a few seconds.

However, this only happend when I turned continuously and extremely fast (meaning so fast that I was turning circles without stoping)

Did it go away when you turned transparency AA off?

Bman212121
02-15-07, 04:40 PM
Didn't work. I reinstalled sound drivers too??

Do I have to do anything with the optimizer program after I install it?

Nope, you shouldn't have to touch it. Usually that fixes the problem. I wonder if maybe your hd is loading at that time? If it stutters during hd access, it could be due to file fragmentation.

If you could describe a little better what happens, that would be great. If your fps drop, then it is probably more gpu related. If you feel a stutter, but your fps don't really change, then it is something else.

kwynjunk
02-15-07, 05:37 PM
Nope, you shouldn't have to touch it. Usually that fixes the problem. I wonder if maybe your hd is loading at that time? If it stutters during hd access, it could be due to file fragmentation.

If you could describe a little better what happens, that would be great. If your fps drop, then it is probably more gpu related. If you feel a stutter, but your fps don't really change, then it is something else.

My frames drop from 90 to 70.

but there is a split second pause.

kwynjunk
02-15-07, 08:00 PM
Stupid Spysweeper.

Uninstalled it, stutter gone...

Had to uninstall because even when you turn it off, it's not totally off and the service/process can't be shut down.

Madpistol
02-15-07, 10:20 PM
Did it go away when you turned transparency AA off?

Yes it did. It's now stuck @ 100fps @ 1600x1200 4xaa and 16xaf on a 64man server.

Anyway, glad you got it solved. :)

Blacklash
02-16-07, 09:02 AM
If you are using Vista try disabling superfetch under services and see if it helps or not.

kwynjunk
02-16-07, 09:54 AM
If you are using Vista try disabling superfetch under services and see if it helps or not.

Using XP

nmdelrio
02-16-07, 11:13 AM
Stupid Spysweeper.

Had to uninstall because even when you turn it off, it's not totally off and the service/process can't be shut down.

yeah, I think SpySweeper is intrusive. We have it installed in our office PCs, and there's been a performance lag on productivity apps for P4 PCs, specially when booting, takes twice longer.

Bman212121
02-16-07, 11:40 AM
Stupid Spysweeper.

That's good to know. I had a problem like that before using sophos antivirus. In the middle of a game I would get slowdowns because it would peg my processor with virus scanning. I had to disable it if I wanted to play a game.