PDA

View Full Version : Constant disk thrashing due to Forceware drivers?

ragingWS6
02-15-07, 07:52 AM
On my Vista box in my sig, I notice that I have a lot of disk thrashing. I decided to disable Windows Search and Superfetch to try and isolate the issue. I noticed that a svchost.exe was doing most of the I/O reads/writes in Task Manager. So, I decided to end the process. Well, the screen flickered and turned off the Windows Aero Interface and went back to Windows Vista Basic. The disk thrashing stopped. Now, after about 10 minutes the screen flickered again and the Aero interface resumed use automatically. The disk thrashing came back! I was initially thinking this was a Silicon Image issue with their SI3114 drivers (running RAID 0), but this isn't the case. I'm going to force Vista Basic for a while and see how the system runs. Then, I'm going to roll back to the WDDM drivers Vista included with the system to see if this improves. Also, if need be, I have my ATi X1950 Pro standing by to do some testing.

Just curious if anyone else is having this issue and if you could try the steps above to see if it cures your issues. At this point, I'm extremely disappointed. On a side note, my Dell Inspiron D810 I use at work has had Vista on it since it went RTM and I have never had these issues and it has an ATi X600 card in it. I'm going to ask a colleague at the office with a D820 and an NVidia card to see if he is having the disk thrashing issues.

EDIT: I thought it might be the Disk Defrag working but I have the trial of Diskeeper 2007 installed and I have gone as far as disabling the smart defrag to make sure it isn't working, but I see no CPU time associated to its processes, so I can rule that out.

DarkJedi664
02-15-07, 03:28 PM
Same thing happens to me, don't know what's causing it, but it's annoying. :(

inSpirAcy
02-15-07, 04:06 PM
You know, I used to have an nvsvc.exe process that would hammer away at my system in XP. Disabling it fixed the problem.

But I haven't seen that in Vista so it might be unrelated.

chiklit
02-15-07, 05:04 PM
Have you tried looking in the Resource Monitor to see which program is using the disk the most?

The only time I've experienced a lot of HD use is when I'm not using the computer and I would presume it's either indexing or defraging.

ragingWS6
02-15-07, 05:14 PM
Have you tried looking in the Resource Monitor to see which program is using the disk the most?

The only time I've experienced a lot of HD use is when I'm not using the computer and I would presume it's either indexing or defraging.

Yeah, svchost.exe. :rolleyes: I need to keep an eye on this to see just what is going on. I'll let you know what I find.

lumpyhed
02-16-07, 05:42 AM
Yeah, svchost.exe. :rolleyes: I need to keep an eye on this to see just what is going on. I'll let you know what I find.

If you right click the offending svchost in task manager and choose 'goto services' it'll show you which service is responsible for all that activity

j0j081
02-16-07, 06:03 AM
It's Windows Defender. I've already posted this in about 10 threads.

ragingWS6
02-16-07, 06:57 AM
It's Windows Defender. I've already posted this in about 10 threads.
Disabled...I'm running SAV 10.2 which disables Defender.;)

ragingWS6
02-16-07, 07:01 AM
I figured out what it is..it's the damn Sync Center. I'm running in a domain environment at my house (2 DCs) with home folders, which remap My Documents to a network share. I have about 1.8TB of disk space on one of the DCs, just for storage of movies, pictures, music and all other important data (all drives are in RAID 1 plus running BE 10d Backup-To-Disk). Well, it seems like this thing constantly syncs. The svchost.exe is pointing to the C:\Windows\CSC folder, where all offline folders are located. XP would sync during logon, logoff, or when the network cable or wireless card was unplugged. Not Sync Center I guess...:rolleyes: Strange thing is we have the same thing at the office and my D810 isn't a pain like that unless I am connected to the Cisco VPN and then it tries to sync.

Hopefully I can find a setting in Group Policy to control this...otherwise I'll have it sync just with my Alienware and turn off Offline Files on the Vista box.

lumpyhed
02-16-07, 09:49 AM
Yes, i forget where exactly (under Users i believe) but you can specify certain paths never to be cached by offline files under group policy with XP, i would expect the same policy to be available with vista at least.

Hang on a sec, just checked it out. You need to click Caching on the share then set it to Manual, that'll means you would have to tick 'make this folder availible offline' client side for any caching to take place at all. :)

j0j081
02-17-07, 07:48 AM
Disabled...I'm running SAV 10.2 which disables Defender.;)
Are you sure that totally disables it? Seemed to fix a lot of people's.

ragingWS6
02-17-07, 04:06 PM
Are you sure that totally disables it? Seemed to fix a lot of people's.
Yes, as soon as I try to even open Defender, it let's me know that is has been disabled by SAV 10.2. Plus the service for it is stopped, yet it is still set to Automatic. I guess I'll disable it for good measure.

grey_1
02-18-07, 06:25 AM
Son of a gun, disabled defender and alls quiet. Thanks guys.

jcrox
02-19-07, 02:48 PM
Disabling windows defender didn't help me....HD still rattled on, However.....going into the device manager, opening the drive properties, and placing a check mark in the "Enable Advanced Performance" check box in the policies tab fixed it for me.

saturnotaku
02-20-07, 06:09 AM
Disabling windows defender didn't help me....HD still rattled on, However.....going into the device manager, opening the drive properties, and placing a check mark in the "Enable Advanced Performance" check box in the policies tab fixed it for me.

Thanks for the tip. Will try that out now. Battery backup's not an issue being that I have a laptop and all. :D