PDA

View Full Version : I'm a "Quicksave" junkie, how about you?

Pages : [1] 2

grey_1
02-15-07, 12:25 PM
Playing FEARXP I kill a guy and save, kill a guy and save...disgusting. :p

How about you guys?

ralinn
02-15-07, 12:30 PM
I've always hated quicksaves, it completely destroys games for me. I'd rather have a challenge and play a game the way it's supposed to be played.

de><ta
02-15-07, 12:37 PM
Quick saves spoil the risk element associated with a game. Being stuck with 10hp and having to fight a cyber demon or a dremora lord is fun as hell.

I only save when I feel that I have completed a level flawlessly. Hitman style. :)

kev13dd
02-15-07, 12:51 PM
I used to be!

But then I started playing games like Hitman, GRAW, and CSS, I just got used to never being able to save, and even when I play quicksave games I forget the feature is there

My roommate used to be a HUGE quicksave junkie. Except he wasn't very smart about it. He'd always end up hitting the wrong button and would quick LOAD instead of save... whenever I'd hear a loud curse I'd know butterfingers had screwed up again. Sadly, he wasn't smart enough to know he could change the button layout... sigh...

K

|MaguS|
02-15-07, 12:52 PM
I quick save every hour or so just because I hate games that have no save function and force you to replay the same **** over and over again... like GRAW...

I don't play in long stretches anymore so quick saves help me alot.

CaptNKILL
02-15-07, 01:00 PM
Yep, I'm a quicksave abuser as well.

I try not to be, but I think its better than getting pissed because I have to do crappy levels over again.

Some games I actually enjoy doing certain parts over and over (like in HL2) so quicksaves help with that, but in other games it just plain sucks ass having to do things more than once.

|MaguS|
02-15-07, 01:03 PM
One game I abused quicksaves in was KOTOR mainly because I would like to try certain things and if it went bad I can try something else... like if I got a darkside point when I wanted to be all lightside...

JemyM
02-15-07, 01:22 PM
I discontinue games without quicksave rather quickly. Fable was the most recent one.

Im not a kid anymore. Sometimes I have 10 minutes to play, sometimes 2 hours. I need to be able to drop a game at any time, not after 10-20 minutes to reach the next savespot.

Also I feel that replaying the same sequence more than once builds up frustration and destroys my joy with the game.

I do not understand the people who say they do not want quicksaves because they seek a challenge. When I seek a challenge, I take a new job, work hard to buy a new car, a villa, have a child, you know, challenges that matters. I play games as a way to escape life, that's all there is to it.

OWA
02-15-07, 01:34 PM
I quicksave very often. If a game doesn't provide a quicksave, I usually don't play it for long. As someone already mentioned, I don't like playing the same thing over and over just to get to the next checkpoint.

Mr. Hunt
02-15-07, 01:35 PM
I am pretty much the hugest quick save *****s around... if my monitor suffered from burn in, I would have "Quick Saving. . ." burnt in by now :\.

SJA06
02-15-07, 02:03 PM
I am pretty much the hugest quick save *****s around... if my monitor suffered from burn in, I would have "Quick Saving. . ." burnt in by now :\.

:D

I'm a conservative quick save user, but I hate it when games don't have one..I want the choice please. As someone said above, games are for fun, and quite frankly, some games checkpoint spacing makes them torture.

Could do with a option at the start of a game to select your save prefrence, which would be fixed for the whole game.

ynnek
02-15-07, 02:10 PM
depends on the game and how I feel. It does "cheapen" the suspense/difficulty of the game when you abuse it.. But then again, sometimes you just don't feel like playing huge sections of the game over again. Its up to user discretion.

I think all games should have quicksaves. If you think it detracts from the gaming experience, then you simply don't have to use it.

So for all you uber gamers that lament "ooh, real games back in the day don't have quicksavest" - well, nobody is forcing you to use them then.. ;)

wnd
02-15-07, 02:22 PM
Depends on game, really. In many difficult FPSes, yes, otherwise, not really. I always play first person shooters in the most difficult level available at new game so I often end up optimizing using ammo etc. and abusing quicksave. On the other hand if the game is not frustrating, like Gothic 3 after getting mana regeneration ;-), I may end up playing for hours without a single save, only to make some stupid mistake and die.

CaptNKILL
02-15-07, 03:16 PM
One game I abused quicksaves in was KOTOR mainly because I would like to try certain things and if it went bad I can try something else... like if I got a darkside point when I wanted to be all lightside...
Yep, same here.

grey_1
02-15-07, 03:26 PM
Good to see there's others. :D My main reason is avoiding having to go through a badly placed cutscene or tedious level again, like others have said. Other times I'll use it when at 5 or 10 HP just to "bookmark" it to see if I can get through that way.

The classic Dooms were the best for that. :D

|JuiceZ|
02-15-07, 03:40 PM
Playing FEARXP I kill a guy and save, kill a guy and save...disgusting. :p

How about you guys?

same here man, I wear that F6 key out, even if I have high percentage of health left :D

XDanger
02-15-07, 03:42 PM
I still use quicksaves on FEAR even though I never get killed anymore. Theres just too many health packs in that game.
GRAW is a complete wakeup call for me.

einstein_314
02-15-07, 03:50 PM
Quicksaves FTW!!! I'm use em, not excessively...but I definately use them. Checkpoint based games are ok as long as the checkpoints aren't ridiculously far apart.

nutcrackr
02-15-07, 04:19 PM
Depends on the game and how much trouble I'm having with it. I'm a dynamic quicksaver :D

wnd
02-15-07, 04:58 PM
Checkpoint based games are ok as long as the checkpoints aren't ridiculously far apart.

Try Alien Breed 3D 2 on Amiga. The toughest first person shooter I've ever played. Always running out of ammo, saving only between levels. Then again the framerate and the controls could be part of the problem...

|MaguS|
02-15-07, 05:02 PM
Try Alien Breed 3D 2 on Amiga. The toughest first person shooter I've ever played. Always running out of ammo, saving only between levels. Then again the framerate and the controls could be part of the problem...

Zero Tolerance had a horrible save system... think it was passcodes only and that was only for every level or so after... not even one per level.

crainger
02-15-07, 05:08 PM
I quicksave every 30mins-1hr. 5-10mins if it's crash friendly. I also depends on the game. I quicked the save outta FEAR.

a12ctic
02-15-07, 05:09 PM
Im not horrible, but i usualy quick save after/before bosses.

wnd
02-15-07, 05:29 PM
crash friendly

There must be deafening silence within friendly user support personnel when honest marketing people announce Microsoft Works to be past crash friendly phase. And I really should get some sleep.

OWA
02-15-07, 05:37 PM
Sometimes I have 10 minutes to play, sometimes 2 hours. I need to be able to drop a game at any time, not after 10-20 minutes to reach the next savespot.

Yeah, that's a good point also and it applies to me as well.