PDA

View Full Version : Can't use 8800GTX with Vista

maxibianco
02-16-07, 07:17 AM
I have built myself a new computer, and because I had to buy a new OS, I thought to go for Vista, even knowing that there would have been issues.

Yesterday I powered it up for the first time, and it was with disappointment that realized that none of the drivers or even software that were on the CD my hardware came with (EVGA 680SLI Mobo and BFG 8800 GTX GPU) worked on my PC.

So I rushed to connect to the Internet and download the latest drivers. I updated my mobo drivers. But for my 8800GTX I only found a 100.64 international version (because I'm in UK - if I try installing the US English it tells me it detects that I don't have Vista). This is classified as a Beta driver, and it has been released on 13 February. With this driver my PC crashes at start up with memory dump. Only solution: remove the driver. So my PC runs on "Generic VGA driver", which means no aero, no games, no nothing, and Vista tells me my GPU is not Vista ready (ROFL!).

I tried the 100.59, which is the previous beta driver for the 8800GTX and the behaviour is the same.

Now, I do know that most people are experiencing problems with the Nvidia drivers or lack of them, but they all seem to manage to boot up the system and it is only when they test the drivers in games that they realize it gives low performance. So, I was wondering whether there could be something wrong else than the driver.

Is there anyone out there who is experiencing my same problem?

I am using SLI certified memory (2 x 1Gb Corsair Dominator) and SLI certified PSU (Tagan 900W).

nekrosoft13
02-16-07, 07:22 AM
you missed one very important factor

what vista do you have? 32 or 64bit?

there are two seperate driver packages

pingu2
02-16-07, 10:15 AM
i always install us english version on my uk system.. strange that you can't ...

maxibianco
02-16-07, 12:18 PM
I'm using Vista Ultimate 32 bits.

Greeno
02-16-07, 12:37 PM
You've done something wrong then chap...

Got your latest BIOS and motherboard chipset drivers installed? and you were sure to load the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) release (obviously x86 in your case) drivers and not the 'other' one? You've also powered your card up properly? and I don't mean just hang a huge-ass PSU off the end, you've plugged the 2x power cables in? Do you have another machine or know someone else you could try your card in to make sure it's not defective to begin with?