PDA

View Full Version : BadAxe2 is a beast

Zelda_fan
02-16-07, 02:12 PM
Wow.

So I have an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard, E6600, and some G.Skill F2-8000PHU2-2GBHZ DDR2-1000 RAM.

After I did some initial stability testing on stock speeds (BX2 ate it like cake for 12 straight hours of torture), I meddled with overclocking.

I am now running at 3GHZ on INTEL STOCK AIR COOLING with the FSB at 333 and the RAM clocked at 500MHZ (that's DDR-1000 speeds!). I didn't even have to tweak voltage or anything (I am running the vDIMM on 2.2v though but my memory is guaranteed up to 2.4v so this is actually under stock). I am memtest86 stable, and I'm going to do some orthos stress testing in Windows.

I am extremely impressed by this board. Rock solid stability and great overclocks. And I haven't even pushed it yet. Plus this is AIR and I'm going to water in a month. Can't wait to see what it can do.

Zelda_fan
02-16-07, 02:32 PM
Prime95 32M stable in Vista. Going to orthos testing.

Lfctony
02-16-07, 03:03 PM
I have the XBX myself, it's indeed a great board. Good to see that Intel caters for o/cers. :) Have fun.

BrianG
02-16-07, 04:02 PM
(w/opics)

Seriously. You posted pics in the Rig 2007 thread?

I am interested in the bad axe if I can get it for a competitive price. The other options are the Abit AW9D Max and the Asus 650i Plus (uses 680i board layout). I do not want or need SLI.

Any wierd layout issues or quirks with IDE drivers?

Xion X2
02-16-07, 06:40 PM
Sounds about right. A good 6600 will get up to around 3.2gHz without a voltage increase, and the G.Skill DDR2 1000 is good stuff.

Zelda_fan
02-17-07, 02:54 AM
My processor looks like it's maxed out somewhere between 3.1 and 3.2 GHZ on stock voltages. 3.1GHZ is SuperPI stable (don't have the time to fiddle with orthos), but 3.2GHZ has trouble booting into Vista. Hopefully with watercooling and voltage tweaking I can get this thing up to 3.8GHZ-4.0GHZ stable.

BTW I love this GSkill HZ memory. I'm running it at DDR2-1036 speeds at 2.2V. My system's pretty damn fast.

I can't take pics because I don't have a digital camera (it's on my to buy list), but i'll borrow a friend's and hopefully get you guys some pics.

hokeyplyr48
02-18-07, 08:08 AM
Do the sata ports get covered by a graphics card? Especially the 8800 series, they're so long it looks as though those 4 ports wouldn't be used. can anyone verify this?

Zelda_fan
02-18-07, 08:33 AM
Do the sata ports get covered by a graphics card? Especially the 8800 series, they're so long it looks as though those 4 ports wouldn't be used. can anyone verify this?

While I don't have an 8800 to verify, their are a total of 8 SATA ports (4 of them are used for RAID) and I'm pretty sure you would be ok with an 8800 or even XFire ATI cards.

wollyka
02-18-07, 09:01 AM
Excellent! BTW what is your stock Vcore for E6600?i have mine clocked at 3 GHZ with Vcore 1.312V (CPUZ) and 1.325 set in Bios..

hokeyplyr48
02-18-07, 10:35 AM
so 4 of the sata ports are usable and the other 4 are for raid? so if you want to have 5 hd's you have to put it in raid with another one?

malachi1313
02-18-07, 01:43 PM
I'm running @3.3Ghz stable without a voltage increase. Stable fast board. Most stable /fast board I've ever run. If you use the first 2 slots it shouldn't interfere with sata ports. Third one might give you issues though. With just a single 8800GTX it doesn't interfere with anything. This board only supports crossfire though.

john19055
02-18-07, 07:31 PM
I have ran my Core Duo 2 E6600 at 3.6gig at 1.35v since day one with a Zalman 9500,this thing is a great overclocking chip.

Zelda_fan
02-18-07, 09:09 PM
so 4 of the sata ports are usable and the other 4 are for raid? so if you want to have 5 hd's you have to put it in raid with another one?

No, you can use the RAID ports for regular HD configuration. It's just that you have to install a RAID drivers in Windows or Windows Setup to use them.

hokeyplyr48
02-18-07, 09:41 PM
so this board doesn't support 8800's?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121059
because they are supposedly alot more reliable than the 680i series and the striker extreme is too expensive.

malachi1313
02-18-07, 11:17 PM
Yes it supports the 8800 just not in SLI. Only supports crossfire ATI/AMD...:thumbdwn:

Blacklash
02-19-07, 07:52 AM
If you update to the latest BIOS and want to go after mid high overclocking let me save you some trouble:

Enter the BIOS and turn off VT and EIST. Enable enhanced powerslope. Save and exit.

Turn off the power and move your board jumper to the config position. Enter the BIOS and disable Watchdog and C1E. Save and exit. Power off and then move the jumper to its default position.

If you are using an E6300 or E6400 and are having trouble with a 450-470FSB set your ref freq to 333, and your freq to 667. That will put you @ 1:1 on a 1333 strap.

BTW increased MCH and FSB voltages are key for holding a 400+ FSB.

Zelda_fan
02-19-07, 07:56 AM
I actually did all of the above expect for turn off VT. Where can I find that option?

Also, right now I'm running the latest (2618) BIOS. I've been seeing a lot of nice overclocks at xtremesystems and they seem to use the 2333 BIOS. You think that one is a little better for maintaining stable overclocks?

Right now I'm running it at 3.4GHZ, and it seems to be stable in Orthos. I don't want to push it further than that until I get my watercooling parts in because it's running pretty hot (the core temp is at 60C under a full load, but keep in mind I'm only using Intel's stock heatsink).

Blacklash
02-19-07, 08:06 AM
VT is the final line under the Security section of the BIOS.

I suspect most folks that hate BIOS revisions after 2333 haven't done what I suggest, and certainly haven't disabled Watchdog.

People need to remember when you reset the BIOS to optimized defaults it also turns on C1E and Watchdog. Updating the BIOS may also enable C1E and Watchdog as well. Actually when you update a BIOS I always suggest using stock settings and BIOS defaults then moving back where you were before the update. It's the old keep it simple rule.

I would use the latest BIOS and if you are curious try the older "magic" 2333 BIOS as well. You may always switch back. In my experience there is no difference between them provided you disable what I suggested.

Also don't change too many things at once and then save them all. I usually enable enhanced powerslope and increase my voltages first. I then will enter the BIOS again before my OS boots and set the mem freq and FSB I want. I can go from 3.7 down to stock without a hitch like that, and from stock right up to 3.7.

Zelda_fan
02-19-07, 08:12 AM
VT is the final line under the Security section of the BIOS.

I suspect most folks that hate BIOS revisions after 2333 haven't done what I suggest, and certainly haven't disabled Watchdog.

People need to remember when you reset the BIOS to optimized defaults it also turns on C1E and Watchdog. Updating the BIOS may also enable C1E and Watchdog as well. Actually when you update a BIOS I always suggest using stock settings and BIOS defaults then moving back where you were before the update. It's the old keep it simple rule.

I would use the latest BIOS and if you are curious try the older "magic" 2333 BIOS as well. You may always switch back.

Also don't change too many things at once and then save them all. I usually enable enhanced powerslope and increase my voltages first. I then will enter the BIOS again before my OS boots and set the mem freq and FSB I want. I can go from 3.7 down to stock without a hitch like that, and from stock right up to 3.7.

Could you explain more about what VT does and why it's negative to overclocking? I disabled it, and tried to see if I could get the 3.4GHZ OC on a lower voltage, but it isn't orthos stable.

Blacklash
02-19-07, 08:16 AM
Could you explain more about what VT does and why it's negative to overclocking? I disabled it, and tried to see if I could get the 3.4GHZ OC on a lower voltage, but it isn't orthos stable.

It's an extra bit of nothing I do not need. There's the accurate and complete answer:

http://www.intel.com/technology/virtualization/

I am a fan of disabling what you do not use or need. It should have zero impact on Orthos stability. Orthos frequently requires a system to use more voltage, not less, in order to be stable. When I was @ 3.6GHz I could do anything I wanted @ 1.41v except Orthos. When I wanted to run Orthos blend @ 8hrs+ I needed 1.45v for stability.