PDA

View Full Version : Will it crush my cpu?

XDanger
02-16-07, 05:26 PM
http://shutter12.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/06/008/7F/FF/00/32/KP8hTaOw6C8iwpccsqJOgoCc5fI9xSFX0300.jpg
I know this is ridiculous but I really think if I try to push the bar right down the cpu or socket is going to crush.
Please tell me the crunching noise is just the pins bending slightly as they need to and I haven't done something stupid apart from posting my ignorance about 775 sockets.

:headexplode:

Camp0rz
02-16-07, 05:39 PM
As long as you matched up pin 1 you should be good.

XDanger
02-16-07, 05:42 PM
PHEW!!! It didn't die
Thankfully I wont be posting any more crap for a while as I need the psu and hdd's from this pc to complete my new build.

SlieTheSecond
02-16-07, 06:13 PM
All cpu's require pressure to get them in sturdy. But if you hear an actual crushing sound from the cpu thats not good. Always just make sure the cpu is lined up to the socket properly :)

LORD-eX-Bu
02-17-07, 12:06 AM
what are these pins you speak of? :p

XDanger
02-17-07, 07:36 AM
the spring pins on the socket

This is exactly the kind of post tikiman was talking about and I oppologise but I was very worried at the time.
I spent most of last night searching my living room with a torch for one of the screws to the retention bracket of my thermaltake sonic tower hs which pinged off into the air while I was trying to screw it in,
It turned out the screw was too small for the I-bar's hole ,even though it was the supplied one.
stupid fupping screw could have helped me wreck my mobo THERMALTAKE ARE TOSSERS!!!!
i used a standard hdd mounting screw.

Stoneyguy
02-17-07, 07:42 AM
I was a bit nervous the first time I used the lever arm, but I was really nervous trying to secure the 9700 heatsink. That thing is a monster and requires alot of pressure.

Glad to hear it all worked out for ya.

RussianHAXOR
02-17-07, 10:01 AM
Haha, dude. I was just as worried as you, i was like WHOAA how did i bend that? I DONT WANNA SNAP IT IN HALF! until i realized that was the way that they make sure that the CPU was secure and it fit right back into its place. Oh well.

grey_1
02-17-07, 10:05 AM
the spring pins on the socket

This is exactly the kind of post tikiman was talking about and I oppologise but I was very worried at the time.
I spent most of last night searching my living room with a torch for one of the screws to the retention bracket of my thermaltake sonic tower hs which pinged off into the air while I was trying to screw it in,
It turned out the screw was too small for the I-bar's hole ,even though it was the supplied one.
stupid fupping screw could have helped me wreck my mobo THERMALTAKE ARE TOSSERS!!!!
i used a standard hdd mounting screw.
Don't apologize man! Better to be safe than sorry. I like my HSFs and waterblocks tight as possible and get nervous everytime I re-do them, this was a good post.

mullet
02-17-07, 10:17 AM
PHEW!!! It didn't die
Thankfully I wont be posting any more crap for a while as I need the psu and hdd's from this pc to complete my new build.

OOOh man, I thought the same thing man. I started pulling the arm down and was like damn this is to much resistance there is something wrong. This was my first Intel system ever since 1995. So I understand where your coming from, at least we can laugh about it now. kinda lol

RussianHAXOR
02-17-07, 10:40 AM
This was my first intel system since... my 1.6GHZ p4(5 years ago)