PDA

View Full Version : How's reliability with wireless networking?

Capt. Picard
02-17-07, 01:56 AM
How's reliability with wireless LANetworking? My classroom is getting a 50 wireless PCs and since I've never worked with wireless networking hardware before, I'm worried that there might be some connectivity problems.

Does anyone have any experience with wireless LAN and how has it been for you?

Edit: How strong a server is needed to do remote OS installation over a network to some 50 computers? Can it be done over a wireless network?

nmdelrio
02-17-07, 03:00 AM
In my experience, if you use wireless LAN for applications such as CAD with files being saved on a file server, and with an internet connection at the same time, it's a no-no.

We tried WLAN at my workplace, it lagged. users using AutoCAD, and structural engg apps, and with the internet conenction with their messengers running all the time, it was horrible. We had to ditch the wireless LAN and kept the wired LAN.

Transferring large volumes of files (like 100Mb) is next to hopeless with WLAN.

That's my experience. Others may have better experiences.

:(

crainger
02-17-07, 03:14 AM
I haven't much experience with WLANs on a enterprise level, but from my home experience... It's not worth the pain. I agree with nmdelrio.

Redeemed
02-17-07, 06:55 AM
I haven't much experience with WLANs on a enterprise level, but from my home experience... It's not worth the pain. I agree with nmdelrio.

On the enterprise level I have no experience with any sort of LAN- but here at my house it works fine. And I use it not just for internet but also for multiplayer gaming. Not a problem.

Though, considering there will be 50 computers in this LAN- I'd probably go wired in your situation. Better to be safe, than sorry.

nmdelrio
02-17-07, 08:39 AM
On the enterprise level I have no experience with any sort of LAN- but here at my house it works fine. And I use it not just for internet but also for multiplayer gaming. Not a problem.

Though, considering there will be 50 computers in this LAN- I'd probably go wired in your situation. Better to be safe, than sorry.

I agree, for 50 clients, better be safe than sorry. But of course it all depends on what use the computers do.

That's why I tried the WLAN on a few "heavy" users (8 users and 2 APs!) before we moved the whole office (40 clients) to WLAN. My boss was so sold-out on new tech, he just jumps in. I do not use WLAN at home. When I get home, I plug in my laptop the old fashioned wired way.

I do not trust packets I cannot see. (j/k)