PDA

View Full Version : Increasing fan speed.

SlieTheSecond
02-17-07, 12:36 PM
My Zalaman 9500 cooler runs off 12v at 2700 rpm.

I was thinking of increasing the rpm via adding an extra 5 volts to it.

My question is, would it be safe for the fan? I don't want the motor to burn out or anything from the extra juice or extra speed.

john19055
02-17-07, 04:16 PM
I would not do that ,you might short out something ,because the Zalman fan is just made to handle 12v ,if you wanted it to run slower ,you could use the 5v rail ,but don't go and hook up the 12v rail to it and then try to hook up the 5v rail because that could cause all kinds of problems ,like shorting out you fan to your motherboard to your power supply

SlieTheSecond
02-17-07, 05:15 PM
I know how to make the fan run slower or faster.

I realize that it was meant for 12v. That is why I was asking.
I have found pretty much nothing on people actually running fans past their rated limit.
If the fan is just going to die in an hour. Well I am not going to do it. If you can still expect a couple years out of it. Then I will. That is my question.

I have some more powerful fans but it would be a real pain in the butt to rig it up to the zalaman cooler. Would be much easier just to run the fan faster.

john19055
02-17-07, 07:26 PM
I am trying to figure out where are you going to get this extra 5volts,do you have a power supply that plug in the wall that puts out 15volt.because the powersupply in your computer only has a 12v rail and a 5v rail and a 3.3v rail.You can not hook it up to the 12v and 5v rails together,This would cause major problems with your powersupply and other componets,because if you put the 12v and 5v together ,you would be putting 12v in your 5v rail.

SlieTheSecond
02-17-07, 08:43 PM
I am gonna can the idea for now. I re arranged some case fan. Hopefully will provide some better air flow till I buy a new case.

I have a fan that is like a freakin leaf blower. So I undervolted it fine. But I was tempted to see what kind of air it would put out at 24v instead 12v. Well I fried it :)
The case fan worked fine at 24v instead of 12v tho. But oh well I am not going to chance my cpu fan until I have a spare. I don't truly need it right now anyways. I am just always up for ideas for a cooler running computer at little to no cost :)

Your psu comes with +12 +5, but also -12 and -5. +12 - -5 = +17.

Rytr
02-17-07, 09:19 PM
Fans with sleeve bearings can be a little flakey as is. Upping the speed will decrease the life of the fan. Same goes for ball/sleeve combo fans. Ball bearing fans might handle the speed better but they tend to be louder than sleeve. You get the best performance from fluid bearing types and give good performance as is...ie, Panaflo.