PDA

View Full Version : Is Rainbow Six still a buggy mess?

SeriTonin
02-18-07, 12:04 AM
I see it's on sale @ Best Buy tomorrow for $39.99 (heads up to those who are interested) and I'm thinking about buying it, but I remember there were a lot of problems getting it to run.

Did patches fix the issue's?

I'm on Vista, is it playable on Vista?

Running a 7900GTX, i'm sure it will run like a dog, but I'll begetting a 8800GTS in the next two weeks, this will be a nice showcase title.

Are the graphics as nice as I'm hoping? (GOW quality?)

Thanks.

Eliminator
02-18-07, 12:38 AM
gfx are no where near gow quality and the performance isnt too good (make sure you rename the main exe to unreal.exe even if you dont have sli) but game is fun and i didnt encounter any bugs while playing it

SH64
02-18-07, 12:54 AM
I didnt excounter bugs on WinXP expcet for the performance slowdowns in some places. thats using patch 1.04 & 8800GTX.
the graphics are good (not GoW quality but good nevertheless) & more important is the gameplay itself which is great & fun.

jAkUp
02-18-07, 01:16 AM
Yea, its still a console port :(

sammy sung
02-18-07, 01:18 AM
(make sure you rename the main exe to unreal.exe even if you dont have sli)

Havent heard about that one before,howcome that is needed ?

GamerGuyX
02-18-07, 01:29 AM
Kind of off topic but what about Double Agent?

Still haven't picked it up yet because I'm waiting for Ubisoft to get it's **** together and fix the damn thing for PC.

Xion X2
02-18-07, 03:08 AM
gfx are no where near gow quality and the performance isnt too good (make sure you rename the main exe to unreal.exe even if you dont have sli) but game is fun and i didnt encounter any bugs while playing it

A real 360 fan here, you can tell.

Graphics are on par w/ Smears of War. None of the "contact-lens effect" in the immediate foreground like you have in Smears. No overemphasized depth-of-field effect to hide poor anisotropic filtering capability. Textures are as clear for as far as you can see, and they're very detailed. The main fault with the game is that it runs like garbage--or at least it did the last time I played it, which was around a month ago.

SwedX
02-18-07, 06:55 AM
A real 360 fan here, you can tell.

Graphics are on par w/ Smears of War. None of the "contact-lens effect" in the immediate foreground like you have in Smears. No overemphasized depth-of-field effect to hide poor anisotropic filtering capability. Textures are as clear for as far as you can see, and they're very detailed. The main fault with the game is that it runs like garbage--or at least it did the last time I played it, which was around a month ago.

One thing I cant stand with the 360 is the overused Bloom effect but that is for hiding the low rez textures and as you say poor aniso filtering and it looks like crap!

Cant understand how some ppl praise the 360 for having so good GFX..they need one pair of these or they have never seen how good a Pc game can look..maybe they dont know what higrez texures and AA/AF really means :D

agentkay
02-18-07, 07:27 AM
Kind of off topic but what about Double Agent?

Still haven't picked it up yet because I'm waiting for Ubisoft to get it's **** together and fix the damn thing for PC.

Wait until it costs $15 or so because it is still too buggy to justify a higher price. The Kinshesa level CTDs still piss me off when I think about it. :lol:

SLippe
02-18-07, 08:02 AM
I still get the FPS slowdown in a few areas, but no bugs, that I've noticed anyway. I love this game!

kylekturk
02-18-07, 09:19 AM
Playing both RS Vegas and SCDA here on Vista 64 and both work a treat for me. Even with the bloody options maxed out on SCDA I have no problems with it once I added -ll to the shortcut. Vegas works fine too just hate no AA. No crashes on either one though. And to think of all the bad stuff I heard :p .

Jon
02-18-07, 10:41 AM
I'm playing it on Vista 1600x1200 everything maxed except shadows and its great. Never drops below 30fps. Thats with an 8800GTS.

The other PC has a 7900GT and its playable again image quality maxed, shadows low... but 800x600 gives 40fps. 1024x768 drops down to around 20-25fps. Thats on Windows XP.

Double Agent doesn't work on either of my PCs.

nekrosoft13
02-18-07, 12:00 PM
stay away from double agent, worst port in years

Amun
02-18-07, 04:38 PM
Do any of you notice a difference in the shadow quality settings? i have noticed a major diff in frame rate increases when i lower it, however i do not notice a quality diff at all :eek2

Jon
02-18-07, 04:52 PM
Generally, no, I don't notice a difference in shadow quality. But, its most obvious when you start the first mission. Look at the shadow of the helicopter when its almost on the ground. At low, it looks like something I would draw.

I guess for the most part, most of the shadows are of buildings/square objects so its not a problem.