PDA

View Full Version : Myst-Uru Live, finally live.

MaXThReAT
02-18-07, 12:24 PM
I really enjoyed Myst Uru:Ages Beyond Myst. When it first came out in late 2003 it was advertised to have Uru:Live, a MMO game where you would go around solving puzzles with other people online. Eventually Uru:live details were removed through patches and it never saw the light of day. I bumped in to the demo through shacknews. You have to download GameTap a rather lame 3D game tool that's very buggy. It give you access to a bunch or free games for seven days then it's 99c for the first month or like ten bucks a month, they have other options.
I loaded it in Vista and give a message saying it's vista compliant but things were still being worked on. Yeah, all it did was crash and lock up in vista. I unstalled it and ran it in XP. In XP I got Uru:live DL'ed and launched. I got a bunch of artifacts with my 8800 and 97.92. I chatted and ran around a bit, looks like it could be cool if you enjoyed Ages beyond myst.
I reinstalled Myst Uru:ABM the full game, just for fun and it looks and runs really great at 2048x1536 16xAA 16af G&SSTAA. 16qAA is sluggish.

Frames Time (ms)----Min----Max----Avg
10815 180000------56---- 62----60.083

I forgot how great the sound was in this game. I think I may play through it again. I think I need to adj my brightness too.
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/8687/u1gz0.th.jpg (http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=u1gz0.jpg)http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8670/u2cy9.th.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=u2cy9.jpg)

GameTap sends word that the full version of Myst Online: Uru Live, the MMO-like game built around the classic Myst franchise, is as of today operational on its monthly subscription service. Originally published by Ubisoft as Uru Live in late 2003, its multiplayer servers were shut down only months later. Last December, it was revealed that original developer Cyan Worlds would be returning to update the game and rerelease it on GameTap; at the time, a beta version was made available to subscribers. This week's version marks the official rerelease of Uru Live.
http://www.gametap.com/home/myst/index.html

The official Uru Live site currently features two GameTap promotional offers, one allowing free limited access for one week and one discounting the first month of full access to $0.99. Regular GameTap subscriptions run $9.95/month.

Edit: OOooo Guess this should be in the MMO section.

|MaguS|
02-18-07, 12:30 PM
How exactly do you play Myst as an MMO?

MaXThReAT
02-18-07, 12:33 PM
How exactly do you play Myst as an MMO?

You have to DL'ed a separate client apart from the full game. It's standalone, it has puzzles that must be solved with multiple people, you can't complete them by yourself. It has a huge community, check out that link I provided.

|MaguS|
02-18-07, 01:14 PM
Can't im out of town right now, im at a meeting.

CaptNKILL
02-18-07, 04:43 PM
Sounds very interesting.

Can I try this without having to give my credit card information or subscribe to anything?

SignorSalad
02-18-07, 06:03 PM
Uru:Live actually did see the light of day briefly back in 2003. The live portion wasn't available when the game first came out, but it did make an appearance. I had bought the game after reading the marketing of it being the first true myst 3d experience and then seeing a video. As I progressed through the single player, I had to check the forums for clues. Each time I visited they kept hyping Uru:Live saying it was almost ready. After several months of beta they turned it loose on the rest of the customer base. so I checked it out several times. Each time there were maybe 20 people on, people were sporadically wandering around but not talking. It seemed like it could have some potential but there were only a few areas to explore, a somewhat interesting chess type mini-game, and no real puzzles yet. A few cyan employees were logged on to interact with people and make it seem more lively and play the chess like game with you, although they seemed to be fighting a losing battle.

I looked at the screenshots of the 'new and improved' Uru Live, but they looked exactly like what it had been 4 years ago. So I'm not sure what they have done in the meantime. For me, that ship sailed a long time ago though, I won't be going back to check out if they really did improve it or not.

MaXThReAT
02-19-07, 10:26 AM
Sounds very interesting.

Can I try this without having to give my credit card information or subscribe to anything?

Yeah you don't need a CC to signup it stays in a free trial for a week. It does have alot of games. Each one you DL'ed. Nocturne, SilentHill3, Interstate76, NeoGeo cup 98, StreetFighter Alpha3, Battle of Europe, Curise Ship Tycoon and all the Myst games including Real Myst. I think that the remake of the original in full free roming 3D. It's also got all the Sam & Max Games and older games like Galaga, 1943, 1944, a buch of pinball games...ummm sonic, Crazy taxi. I just finished DLing StreeFighter Alpha3 I gatta go try it out.