PDA

View Full Version : 680i "double dash" post code

Pages : [1] 2

buffbiff21
02-18-07, 09:30 PM
I think my 680i board is dead. I pulled everyhting apart earlier today to reconfigure my water loop, add a HDD, switch PSUs, and add another 8800GTX.

Now, when I turn the power on, the fans go, the pumps go, but i see or hear NOTHING. no post beep or anything.

I looked on the boards post code read thingey, and there were two dashes.

Ive tried every trick in the book - resetting CMOS, replugging all power cables, etc.

Does this mean my board is dead? I cant possibly think of anything else to do.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-18-07, 10:24 PM
try reseating your CPU. I had the same issue, got past that and now I got a whole bunch of other issues. Go buy a bad axe 2:D

TiKiMaN1
02-18-07, 10:29 PM
Clear CMOS. Might even have to take out the battery. Reseat the memory. The board is not bad IMO.

buffbiff21
02-18-07, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys....
I had to switch over to my laptop now since my big system aint runnin.

UPDATE:
I think I killed my Northbridge somehow when I reseated my mcw30 on it. :(

but..anyway

-LORD-eX-Bu']try reseating your CPU.

Tried that. Nothin... I even powered it on WITHOUT the cpu installed and nothin happened.

Go buy a bad axe 2:D
Linkey?? :captnkill:

Clear CMOS. Might even have to take out the battery. Reseat the memory. The board is not bad IMO.

I cleared CMOS. I tried reseating the memory. I even tried TURNING it on WITHOUT the memory, and it still did nothing! At this point im just like :POKE:

Ill try removing the battery and report back.

TiKiMaN1
02-18-07, 11:32 PM
I cleared CMOS. I tried reseating the memory. I even tried TURNING it on WITHOUT the memory, and it still did nothing! At this point im just like :POKE:

Ill try removing the battery and report back.

This has happened to me a few time before. It's possible that the board is making some weird metal connection with your case that it does not like. I'm really not sure I would go as far as reseating the CPU. You wouldn't happen have a screw lodged behind the mobo would you?:D That happened to me one time. Not a good situation.

buffbiff21
02-18-07, 11:49 PM
Well, it powers on OK but it refuses to BEEP! No POST, no nothin.

I just took out the battery...I was curious to see what would happen if i turned it on, and sure enough, no post or anything. So i just put the battery back in.

^ Tiki I know for a fact i dont have any loose screws or anything,. Im seriously getting anxious cuz i need to play some highdef Oblivion right about now...:captnkill:

buffbiff21
02-18-07, 11:52 PM
BTW did you get the double dash green LED code as well?
i.e.

- -

^ my code looks like that. (only in green LED)

LORD-eX-Bu
02-18-07, 11:52 PM
well hey, I'm about to RMA my board too, guess that makes like a billion of us:p

When you try to power on does it just give you the two dashes? or does it flash anything else very rapidly?

jAkUp
02-19-07, 12:04 AM
Yea, double dash is bad news... check for grounding, and clear CMOS, but if not I would recommend to get a replacement.

buffbiff21
02-19-07, 12:10 AM
-LORD-eX-Bu']well hey, I'm about to RMA my board too, guess that makes like a billion of us:p

When you try to power on does it just give you the two dashes? or does it flash anything else very rapidly?

Naw man i was lovin my 680i up until about noon today. I think i squashed my NB when i remounted the block upon it.

As for RMA, that is out of the picture because I dremelled off the NB heatsink and only used the SB one. Check it out:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/buffbiff21/PICT0067.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/buffbiff21/PICT0069.jpg
^ This is not the problem cuz it was running fine before thsi morning. ]

All I want is to use my new 8800s before the next damn cards come out :(

jAkUp
02-19-07, 12:26 AM
Yipes.

Well, if it turns out to be a bad board, contact me directly and I will set you straight.

jacobf@evga.com

buffbiff21
02-19-07, 12:34 AM
Yipes.

Well, if it turns out to be a bad board, contact me directly and I will set you straight.

jacobf@evga.com

Thanks jAkup. What could cause this though, other that a screw?

I was thinkin kinda ballsy so i went ahead and took off the NB block to check if those black pads were still intact.

Sure enough, they were...
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/buffbiff21/PICT0093.jpg

I know it is not a bad board; it was perfectly fine till today. And would it still be under warranty even if i cut the heat pipe?

buffbiff21
02-19-07, 03:36 AM
OK I just took my ENTIRE system apart and cleaned everything off.

There was a very little amount of thermal paste on the back of the mobo, likely from my fingers. could this cause a short? I dont think it was enough to damage anything...

Other than that though I still could not get my system to post. The 2-dash code is still presetn.

Because i reconfigured some components yesterday, (new PSU, another 8800), i had to redo my water loop and refill and bleed my system. I have not slept in 49 hours, and am fed up with THIS board. :zzzz::zzzz::zzzz:

Jakup I will email you, but I am going to order a board from newegg..

leemik
02-20-07, 02:00 PM
Mine did the same thing after only one week.. It only happens booting from a shutdown though.. if I restarted or just kept the system running once I got it up it was fine stable and fast..

I tried everything to fix it and out of frustration one day I just kept pressing the start button and eventually it booted up to my surprise.. :rolleyes:
but shutdown and it won't work again..

I RMA'ed my board .. I've prolly built over 20 system over the years.. NEVER has a board given me so much trouble as this one.. dunno if the blame goes to eVGA or the designer of the 680i chipset.

--mike

Xion X2
02-20-07, 02:18 PM
Are you supposed to dremel off one end of the heatpipe like that? Seems to me like it would hurt cooling that way. Did you check your temps in your BIOS for your MCP before it went kaput on you?

Do you have any USB devices plugged into the motherboard? My Aquaero wasn't plugged in well one time and I had something like this happen.

RussianHAXOR
02-20-07, 02:24 PM
I think my 680i board is dead. I pulled everyhting apart earlier today to reconfigure my water loop, add a HDD, switch PSUs, and add another 8800GTX.

Now, when I turn the power on, the fans go, the pumps go, but i see or hear NOTHING. no post beep or anything.

I looked on the boards post code read thingey, and there were two dashes.

Ive tried every trick in the book - resetting CMOS, replugging all power cables, etc.

Does this mean my board is dead? I cant possibly think of anything else to do.

I tried everything.... and it was just a dead board.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86069

buffbiff21
02-20-07, 04:51 PM
Are you supposed to dremel off one end of the heatpipe like that? Seems to me like it would hurt cooling that way. Did you check your temps in your BIOS for your MCP before it went kaput on you?
Yep, temps were 45 degrees C. Even with the gimp-ed heatpipe it still transfered the heat away from the chipset. There is semi decent airflow right there; the 3 fans on my rad blow downward and the air is not too hot.

Do you have any USB devices plugged into the motherboard? My Aquaero wasn't plugged in well one time and I had something like this happen
oh man... I seriously tried every single troubleshooting solution imaginable. I was awake for two days straight trying to figure everything out... jakup set me up with an RMA.. Should be up and running on Friday.

Xion X2
02-20-07, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I know what that's like. Sorry you're having trouble.

leemik
02-21-07, 12:01 AM
I dunno if it's a coincidence or not but the three people that have replied to this thread with this "--" problem all have 2 GB Corsair Dominator PC8500-C5D memory (including myself)

I did RMA my board and just got a new one back.. guess what.. SAME EXACT THING!!! so now I;m ruling out my mobo.. it will not start from a shutdown.. so I play around again.. pull one memory module out.. guess what? posted and booted!!

so now I'm suspecting some incompatability with the Corsair PC8500-C5D memory.. I'm afraid to shut this system down..

I'm going to once again drop another large sum of money :( and try some different memory to see if it clears up..

--mike

buffbiff21
02-21-07, 03:29 AM
Yeah, I know what that's like.

oh man, Xion I cannot even begin to empathize for what you went through... One bad mobo for me is nothing compared to your two bad mobos and video card trouble.

I did RMA my board and just got a new one back.. guess what.. SAME EXACT THING!!! so now I;m ruling out my mobo.. it will not start from a shutdown.. so I play around again.. pull one memory module out.. guess what? posted and booted!!
Well, this is just a coincedence.
Because:

A). My RAM worked perfectly fine with the board for a month and a half, up until the otherday when I reconfigured my stuff..
B). I took both sticks out one at a time, i even powered on with NO ram, and it still powered on and got to the "- -" no post beep or anything

everything in my system was compatible, because I actually ran a little Oblivion for an hour using my system. Then I reconfigured and it just went ka-boom. Looks like I have to wait till Friday to test everything out. :(

MaxiumBlackula
04-07-07, 05:14 PM
I also have this same problem with the DDOD (double dash of doom). I have heard two primary claims that a) the motherboard is not recieving power or b) the problem may lie in the CPU unit. I am going to work hard to find out what is wrong and correct it. Im going around to different forums to find any similarities in our setups, and the only thing i have found is that everyone is using 700-8000w PSUs. Does anyone have a PSU over 800w and experiencing the DDOD?

LORD-eX-Bu
04-07-07, 05:19 PM
I have a 1000W PSU, I don't get have that problem anymore, I did have the problem before I RMA'd my board. Now the board is refusing to post sometimes, giving me a bunch of memory errors and issues with my video card even at stock settings or below. The board also hangs somtimes detecting array:lol:

MaxiumBlackula
04-07-07, 07:26 PM
This evening i made an important discovery. Both my friend and I have EVGA 680i boards (I have the AR and he has the A1). In the CPU cavity of both boards the head of a cpu spring is depressed or broken. I ended up with the broken one and the board will be RMA'd. His pin was bent back and i raised it. Vola! he boots...for now. He then developed memory problems using 2GB Corsair Dominator RAM. I gave him my 2GB OCZ Reaper 1066 to use and it POSTs like a champ. He also has two 7950GTs in SLi vs. my 8800GTX - which he will not get :). Im working on the memory issues with his compy and will report back. As for my setup...God Bless Newegg.

As an update - I have 82 emails from people across 12 different forums with the SAME DDOD problem. Though this is a 2x award winner at Newegg, I believe it is a dud. One poor kid claims he RMA'd his board 4 times before just getting his money back and getting an ASUS Commando. I personally will go with the P5W once I figure out whats wrong with the 680i. Im a man on a mission.

Xion X2
04-07-07, 08:51 PM
680i is a piece of trash. Just dump it and don't look back. I RMAd 3 of them in a span of 2 months.

RickTheUncivil
04-26-07, 01:13 PM
Hi All

Had the same issue with my shiny new Inno3D 680i. Worked fine for a few weeks, then started having REAL overheating issues. Searched the forums and decided to change the chipset cooling. Whipped the NB/SB cooler unit thingy off, hacked the heatpipe near the NB heatsink and added a Thermalright HR-05 in its place (it dont fit too good, its effing massive) but with some bodging, managed to get it all in and working.

Then disaster. The dreaded DDOD. Poop, me thinks, i knackerd it. Goodbye shiny new board. Found this thread, tried pretty much everything. Eventually solved it by the magic take-everything-out-and-put-it-back-in-again technique. Worked a charm the second time around.No logic to it at all. Pure magic.

Have just got it all back up and running (just about) and the temps are well down on before.