PDA

View Full Version : HDMI, UDI & DisplayPort

TiKiMaN1
02-19-07, 10:13 AM
Holy Crap slow down on the different formats!!!:eek:

http://www.dailytech.com/The+Future+of+HDMI/article6098.htm

Unfortunately, consumers will be faced a total of three display standards in 2007 -- and even more in 2008. Along with HDMI, computers will start to ship with DisplayPort and the Universal Display Interface (UDI) this year. UDI is electrically compatible with DVI and HDMI, but does not carry the same licensing fees as either and has a stripped down feature set. DisplayPort is not compatible with any existing signaling format....

AMD is expected to launch DisplayPort compatible GPUs later this year with NVIDIA opting for the standard as well. Early last year, Silicon Image stated that UDI will end up replacing both HDMI and DVI standards on the PC when it becomes available to reduce licensing fees, though it will still be compatible with the older standards.

superklye
02-19-07, 10:22 AM
Where did all this come from? This is the first I've ever heard of either DisplayPort or UDI. :o And why is either of them necessary? DVI isn't cutting it anymore?

TiKiMaN1
02-19-07, 10:28 AM
Where did all this come from? This is the first I've ever heard of either DisplayPort or UDI. :o And why is either of them necessary? DVI isn't cutting it anymore?

I think it has to do with the expense of liscensing and HDCP and stuff like that. It's really unfortunate to constantly be given more interfaces. It just leads to more incompatibility really.:(

nekrosoft13
02-19-07, 03:57 PM
WTF

lets go back to the 80s, when every car manufactore used a different method to connect the vechicle computer. all this standards need to stop.

HDMI is useless, what is the damn point of having sound and video in one cable when both signals need to go to different places

DVI is still the perfect connection, no need for more standards

zoomy942
02-19-07, 04:09 PM
more connectors? geez. im happy with my dvi to hdmi cable for my pc.

kevJ420
02-19-07, 07:47 PM
i had actually started a thread about this early. my take on it was that dvi/hdmi is great and the other 2 suck. but once again that is only my opinion.

TiKiMaN1
02-19-07, 07:57 PM
i had actually started a thread about this early. my take on it was that dvi/hdmi is great and the other 2 suck. but once again that is only my opinion.

O contraire (however you spell it) I started this thread 7 hours before you started yours.;) :p