PDA

View Full Version : Oh Dear...

nV`andrew
02-20-07, 11:56 AM
So last night i was playing vanguard when BOOM the game kinda freezes and my computer goes to a black screen and the monitor says no signal detected. I always check my temps and they are all good, graphics card, and case temps, i have a sensor by the cpu and chipset cooler/hard drive, all were perfectly fine temps.

The computer turns on just fine, but the screen is still black. The graphics card is only a few months old i believe, so the warranty is good on that im pretty sure. No artifacts were in the game or anything, no stuttering. CPU is only overclocked slightly and it has been running fine at great temps. Case is cooled well and there is a fan cooling the RAM.

So, im assuming the motherboard died or possibly the PSU, because ive only let the computer run a couple seconds at a time after i let the case temps drop to about 20 celcius this morning and booted it up. the psu dying would be great because i have my OCZ that ive been too lazy to put in.

no wierd beeps or anything with the graphics card, temps were good. im at school right now so i cant work on it for another 4 hours. what should i do to find out what it is?

thanks,
andrew

MaXThReAT
02-20-07, 01:40 PM
OOoo that sux, man. I would pick up a cheep little $30-40 video card and slap it in there and see what happens if your screen comes back it's the 7900 if it doesn't it could be the Mobo, or maybe the PSU but I would go more for the mobo. Swap the power cable going to the video card that should tell you if it's that line on the PSU. If the system looks like it's powered up it prolly is, just with no display.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-20-07, 05:34 PM
dead video card, I had the same thing happen to my XTX. Good luck:thumbsup:

nV`andrew
02-20-07, 07:58 PM
thanks for the replies. i suppose it must be some manufacturer default with the video card because the temps were good. i dont have a credit card so i cant really get a cheapo video card, and all my others and my friends noob ones are AGP.

anyone else wanna back up the decision that it is the video so i can be sure :rolleyes:

nV`andrew
02-20-07, 08:29 PM
OMG NO WAY

just now i powered it on...no luck

so i open it up. dust it out. make sure everything is connected.

the 24 pin mobo connecter was slightly up, and i was like oh my god, no way. just now i booted and it works.

YESSSSS

crainger
02-20-07, 08:32 PM
Phew!

nV`andrew
02-20-07, 08:40 PM
seriously, how the hell did the plug come loose. a few weeks ago when i did my routine dusting and checkup(insert ''lol'' here) everything was fine.

well, back to vanguard!

i suppose this thread can properly rest in peace now :)

ViN86
02-20-07, 09:16 PM
its that damn sasquatch. ;)

LORD-eX-Bu
02-20-07, 10:24 PM
I blame it on Bill Cosby.

nV`andrew
02-20-07, 10:49 PM
its that damn sasquatch. ;)

I blame it on Bill Cosby.

well...SCREW BOTH OF THEM :captnkill:

Bearclaw
02-20-07, 11:10 PM
OMG NO WAY

just now i powered it on...no luck

so i open it up. dust it out. make sure everything is connected.

the 24 pin mobo connecter was slightly up, and i was like oh my god, no way. just now i booted and it works.

YESSSSS
I love it when something like that happens. FTW.