PDA

View Full Version : PC + X360 --> one monitor

kev13dd
02-21-07, 02:13 AM
Hey there

I just got my X360, but I really have nothing to hook it to. I used to have my old Xbox just run into some RF modulator and into my tuner card. The quality was horrible, but for playing Madden, big deal. And sound? No big either, just runs into the tuner card and comes out in cruddy mono whatever

Now my problem is, I don't want GoW with "horrible quality" and "cruddy mono whatever". So here's my plan:

I have a RCA to mini-plug for my 5.1 speakers. I figure I can run a splitter- split the speaker plug and have it run into the PC and the mini-plug. That way I no longer have to get under my desk with a flashlight everytime I want to play X360 over my speakers

I bought the VGA cable for the X360, but it's getting sooooooooo annoying having to unplug the computer cable from the monitor, plug in X360 cable, then repeat when I want PC again

So my two questions are:

1) Will using a splitter degrade the sound quality over the speakers from the soundcard? I didn't buy a soundcard to improve sound quality to then have it degraded by a splitter

2) I want to get a VGA splitter- 1 male to 2 female. Then I can plug the male into the monitor and the PC and X360 into the 2 females. BUT- all of the splitters I find online are to do the opposite- hook 2 ouputs to 1 input, and they claim it will not work hooking 2 inputs to 1 ouput. Are there any cheap splitters out there that won't degrade quality? And cheap... I like cheap

I know it's a horrible mix to like cheap and quality, but I'm broke, and I want to enjoy my soundcard, video card, and X360 at their full potential that I paid for them for. Any ideas? If I can't get a splitter for the monitor, oh well. But the sound thing, that I have to get under my desk to change every time- that I want to eliminate, and splitters for those are very cheap

K

jAkUp
02-21-07, 02:17 AM
Couldn't you get a KVM switch? I think that should work, just press a button and you can switch between the PC and XB360.

kev13dd
02-21-07, 02:22 AM
Couldn't you get a KVM switch? I think that should work, just press a button and you can switch between the PC and XB360.
No loss of quality? KVM switches that I've used before seem to lose some quality unless you buy the uber high class ones. Are there any you recommend?

K

TonyM16
02-21-07, 05:55 AM
What sort of monitor is this that doesn't even have a dvi socket? I used to have my PC connected to my Dell 2005 with a dvi cable and the Xbox360 using the vga cable, I used a headphone socket on my PC to get sound, but it was horrible sound quality, I mean really , really poor. If your sound card has coaxial then use the digital option , then you won't loose quality. You would need a cable or adapter that can convert optical digital to coaxial digital. If you had a xifi with front end or an onboard sound then you may already have optical sound.

Those kvm switchers are very expensive, if it were me I would rather buy a new monitor that has one dvi port and one vga port than spend money on such a thing. I recommend either the LG 23" which has a resolution of 1280x720 ( I think) , or the best option would be a 24" 1920x1200 like the dell or HP , as they have component and the xbox 360 now does 1080p through the component. Be careful though the Dell 2407wfp doesn't actually process 1080p through component, it just upscales it after processing it as 480p, but that doesn't seem to bother most people who still think it looks great (since the xbox360 is essentially an upscaler anyway, it really doesn't make a huge difference if your tv's video video chip does the same thing). There are models out there that can process 1080p, I think BenQ can, as does HPL2335. The other cheaper and easier option is a 22" or 20" 1680x1050, and use your vga cable. You can use 1920x1080 using the vga cable on those monitors now (it scales correctley). Dell 2007wfp or the something like that.

This way you get the best of both worlds, and never have to change any cables.

kev13dd
02-21-07, 10:52 AM
What sort of monitor is this that doesn't even have a dvi socket? I used to have my PC connected to my Dell 2005 with a dvi cable and the Xbox360 using the vga cable, I used a headphone socket on my PC to get sound, but it was horrible sound quality, I mean really , really poor. If your sound card has coaxial then use the digital option , then you won't loose quality. You would need a cable or adapter that can convert optical digital to coaxial digital. If you had a xifi with front end or an onboard sound then you may already have optical sound.

Those kvm switchers are very expensive, if it were me I would rather buy a new monitor that has one dvi port and one vga port than spend money on such a thing. I recommend either the LG 23" which has a resolution of 1280x720 ( I think) , or the best option would be a 24" 1920x1200 like the dell or HP , as they have component and the xbox 360 now does 1080p through the component. Be careful though the Dell 2407wfp doesn't actually process 1080p through component, it just upscales it after processing it as 480p, but that doesn't seem to bother most people who still think it looks great (since the xbox360 is essentially an upscaler anyway, it really doesn't make a huge difference if your tv's video video chip does the same thing). There are models out there that can process 1080p, I think BenQ can, as does HPL2335. The other cheaper and easier option is a 22" or 20" 1680x1050, and use your vga cable. You can use 1920x1080 using the vga cable on those monitors now (it scales correctley). Dell 2007wfp or the something like that.

This way you get the best of both worlds, and never have to change any cables.
My parents "surprised me" for graduation with this 19 inch LCD. I wish they would have let me pick it out myself because I would have picked one out with more inputs, but no such luck, and it's the monitor I'm stuck with for awhile unfortunatly. I'll probably sell it this summer and buy a nicer widescreen one, but until then...

I have XFI Extreme Music. Which when I bought it, people said "but it doens't have optical sound" and I thought "no big". Then a few weeks later I buy the Xbox 360 and it has this funny thing called "optical sound". Oh well... I bought the splitters since it was only like 5 bucks with shipping, so that should solve sound issues for me. I hope it doesn't degrade sound quality that much. I'm more worried about it hurting the PC sound output rather than the X360 output since, well, the X360 is so loud I wouldn't notice any downgrade in quality over that

K