PDA

View Full Version : My hard drive clicks, its driving me mad

MustangSVT
02-22-07, 01:08 PM
I've got a hard drive that's been doing this clicking noise every so often for like a month or two now and it's driving me mad. What can I do to fix it? Is there even anything to fix it? I don't even have a clue what is wrong with it. I've been using it quite a lot for storage for past 2-3 months and haven't had any problems.

lduguay
02-22-07, 01:14 PM
Backup your stuff now! Your HD is dying. What you hear is seek errors.

DiscipleDOC
02-22-07, 01:47 PM
A terrorist has placed a time bomb in your pc. It's been nice knowing you.:bye:

Riptide
02-22-07, 01:47 PM
Agreed. Bad sign. Backup data. Replace drive.

evilghost
02-22-07, 02:03 PM
Backup data, low-level format the drive, and 98% of the time this will fix the issue unless there is surface damage on the disk (unlikely). Low-level format the drive then run a full S.M.A.R.T scan on it.

Prior to the backup run a full chkdsk/scandisk on the drive with a surface-scan enabled. This will mark the clusters as bad and attempt to recover data off them.

MustangSVT
02-22-07, 03:09 PM
Hmm maybe time for a new hard drive?

My local shop has a Maxtor 500GB SATAII for $169.99cad.

evilghost
02-22-07, 03:11 PM
Hmm maybe time for a new hard drive?

My local shop has a Maxtor 500GB SATAII for $169.99cad.

Send me the old drive and I'll pay shipping, I'd love to take a $10 gamble on a 99% chance the drive is fine after low-level format.

lduguay
02-22-07, 03:21 PM
^Go get it, good price BTW, normally 189-200$

stncttr908
02-22-07, 03:23 PM
Maxtor is garbage, even now that they're Seagate's "value line." If it does have a 5 year warranty I'd say go for it, but if it's only 3 or (ugh) 1 year, forget it.

lduguay
02-22-07, 03:24 PM
Send me the old drive and I'll pay shipping, I'd love to take a $10 gamble on a 99% chance the drive is fine after low-level format.
Once a HD has cancer, you have 99% chance that it will come back. I would return it to the mfg instead.:headexplode:

lduguay
02-22-07, 03:27 PM
Maxtor is garbage, even now that they're Seagate's "value line." If it does have a 5 year warranty I'd say go for it, but if it's only 3 or (ugh) 1 year, forget it.
Garbage?
BTW the maxline pro 500 has a 60 months warranty :p

stncttr908
02-22-07, 03:34 PM
Garbage?
BTW the maxline pro 500 has a 60 months warranty :p
Could be worth it then. I've personally had sour experiences with Maxtor in the past (three drives, one had bad clusters, one clicks and spins down, and the last one died completely) so I've been 100% Seagate and WD since.

But the warranty certainly is good.

lduguay
02-22-07, 03:43 PM
The last Maxtor drive i used was a 20MB (yes MB) in 1988. It was utter garbage. But then again all HD were garbage back then.

einstein_314
02-22-07, 03:46 PM
I avoid Maxtor hard drives like the plague....I've had 2 and they both died on me. They may be better now...(being owned by Seagate and all) but I still avoid them. Seagate FTW!!!

Oh and yeah, back up that data ASAP!

MustangSVT
02-22-07, 07:02 PM
I'm burning everything to DVD as we speak. I will do that low level format. I will come back to ask how to do it though, I've never done it before.

einstein_314
02-22-07, 07:10 PM
I'm burning everything to DVD as we speak. I will do that low level format. I will come back to ask how to do it though, I've never done it before.
I'm not sure either....I've never done it before. Personally, if I were you, I'd destroy that hard drive and get a new one. I'm not one to risk losing my data.

Milk&Cheese
02-22-07, 07:33 PM
seagate has some nice perpendicular recording HDDs w/ good space for the money.

clicking usually means its dying. if it really starts having problems reading data try putting it in the freezer overnight then popping it back in and booting. you should have a better chance at recovering the data for about an hour.

buffbiff21
02-22-07, 08:21 PM
clicking usually means its dying

heh? I dont think so...

My lappy's 80gb Seagate clicks routinely. It is a month old. I think htey click naturally when the laser arm hits one of the border limitations on its laser-track thingey. I dont know HDD anatomy but this is what I think.

MustangSVT
02-22-07, 09:19 PM
This is a Seagate 120GB by the way. It's been clicking for over 2 months and I haven't lost any data (yet). Maybe it's not that bad after all. I will back up everything tho.

lduguay
02-23-07, 07:25 AM
heh? I dont think so...

My lappy's 80gb Seagate clicks routinely. It is a month old. I think htey click naturally when the laser arm hits one of the border limitations on its laser-track thingey. I dont know HDD anatomy but this is what I think.
You HDD has a laser arm, and a laser track thingy? :o
Backup your data now, and return your laptop.

nekrosoft13
02-23-07, 07:36 AM
heh? I dont think so...

haha, WTF

since when do HDDs have lasers :rolleyes:

nekrosoft13
02-23-07, 07:38 AM

killdisk is the best format utility, if you have something on the hdd that you don't want anyone to get a hold off, then killdisk is a good choice

einstein_314
02-23-07, 11:07 AM
This is a Seagate 120GB by the way. It's been clicking for over 2 months and I haven't lost any data (yet). Maybe it's not that bad after all. I will back up everything tho.
What kind of clicking are we talking about? Is it a really loud click? or just a soft click?