PDA

View Full Version : Glitch in CS:Source, 8800gtx, pictures

3DBrad
02-22-07, 02:29 PM
Well,

Got the 3dmark06 thing fixed thing to these forums :) (just had to update my DX9 files).

Anyway, it has done this a few times, one time before in CS:S and then also in D. Messiah as well.

So any idea? I plan on stepping up next month, but still, would be nice if I could figure out what this problem is.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/HowdyRanger/cs_glitch1.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/HowdyRanger/CS_glitch.jpg

|MaguS|
02-22-07, 03:17 PM
I've had something like that before but a quick relaunch of CS fixed it so I dout its something to cry about.

3DBrad
02-22-07, 03:37 PM
I've had something like that before but a quick relaunch of CS fixed it so I dou[b]t its something to cry about.

Wasn't planning on crying about it, but for some strange reason, I sorta expect $600 pieces of hardware to function normally. (nana2)

|MaguS|
02-22-07, 04:02 PM
Wasn't planning on crying about it, but for some strange reason, I sorta expect $600 pieces of hardware to function normally. (nana2)

It does work normally, what do you expect everything to work flawlessly? If you do, then your an idiot. Sorry but NOTHING is flawless, not even a diamond.

Problems happen, this one is nothing serious... it happened to me once, actually last night. I restarted the game and it went away never to be seen again.

I've had worse things happen with other videocards...

3DBrad
02-22-07, 05:11 PM
It does work normally, what do you expect everything to work flawlessly? If you do, then your an idiot. Sorry but NOTHING is flawless, not even a diamond.

Problems happen, this one is nothing serious... it happened to me once, actually last night. I restarted the game and it went away never to be seen again.

I've had worse things happen with other videocards...

I'm sorry, I just have a bad taste in my mouth from the 7-series issues, and if it weren't for eVGA, I'd be over on the AMD/Ati side in a heart-beat.

And I don't think it'll be perfect, but this card has caused me a lot of problems, and I've only had it 2-3 days.

Eliminator
02-22-07, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry, I just have a bad taste in my mouth from the 7-series issues, and if it weren't for eVGA, I'd be over on the AMD/Ati side in a heart-beat.

And I don't think it'll be perfect, but this card has caused me a lot of problems, and I've only had it 2-3 days.
and you have every right to feel this way... ive had to go through 3 broken 7900gtx cards before finally evga upgraded me to a 7950gx2 that works (knock on wood).... for $800 i expect it to work at least

3DBrad
02-22-07, 05:21 PM
and you have every right to feel this way... ive had to go through 3 broken 7900gtx cards before finally evga upgraded me to a 7950gx2 that works (knock on wood).... for $800 i expect it to work at least

Yeah, I think eVGA must be there to make up for all the Nvidia mistakes, I sorta feel sorry for them. :p

If we always blindly accept these kinds problems, they'll never be solved.

3DBrad
02-22-07, 05:22 PM
Few more examples,
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/HowdyRanger/287fps_JPEG.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/HowdyRanger/mestup.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/HowdyRanger/weird_JPEG.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/HowdyRanger/monster_arti.jpg

Pictures = 1000 words +

Eliminator
02-22-07, 09:15 PM
i think its artifacting.... have you tried other drivers?... perhaps you have one of those gtx cards that was originally released and had some broken capacitor or something

3DBrad
02-22-07, 09:16 PM
I talked to eVGA customer support, and basically, I'm just going to keep the card until I step-up, as I guess I can live with it for another month or so before the refresh, and save the headache of the RMA stuff. :)

|MaguS|
02-22-07, 10:09 PM
What drivers are you using because I haven't seen any issues like those others you posted... im betting your using Vista... btw if your artifacting then you need to cool your PC better or stop OCing your card.

3DBrad
02-22-07, 10:15 PM
(1) the card won't OC any, it just locks up if I do push the speed up a little w/ Ntune or ATI tool, and coolbits won't work.

(2) it says cool for an 8800gtx

I just got the card Tuesday, and I'm running Windows XP SP2, with 97.92 drivers. ;)

Rakeesh
02-22-07, 11:25 PM

It's the source engine. There are many such bugs similar to this that kind of pop up randomly no matter what graphics card you have. Attribute it to valve not nvidia.

skoprowski
02-23-07, 08:45 AM
I have only seen the purple stuff appear in any game when there were memory issues with the video card. I wouldn't be suprised if you have some bad memory on the card.

nekrosoft13
02-23-07, 09:56 AM
im betting your using Vista... .

so if it has a problem, its automatically vista?

|MaguS|
02-23-07, 10:03 AM
so if it has a problem, its automatically vista?

basically, the XP drivers have far fewer issues then the Vista.

skoprowski
02-23-07, 10:10 AM
I run CS:S in Vista without issue on my 8800GTX.

Rakeesh
02-23-07, 01:47 PM
basically, the XP drivers have far fewer issues then the Vista.

Then is temporal and conditional, than is comparative.

hemmy
02-23-07, 08:14 PM
Have you tried verfying your game cache files?

Search the steampowered.com support for their own tool

It fixed similar problems i have had

Tho Jo Smale
02-24-07, 10:05 AM
I've had something like that before but a quick relaunch of CS fixed it so I dout its something to cry about.

I agree,

This is a texture error with the Memory of your PC...your main system memory has corrupted a texture when accessing your hard disk. If you are overclocking any components in your system...returning settings to defaults/stock will eliminate this problem.

The Source engine is very sensitive to overclocking.

This error is definately a texture loading issue....not a G80 issue.

Magus is correct....a quick relaunch of CS:S to load the textures again will eliminate this problem.

Also, Hemmy has the correct idea...verifying your game files themselves have not been corrupted is a smart Idea.

JC

FlakMagnet
02-28-07, 03:43 PM
The Source engine is very sensitive to overclocking.

Sorry, but that made me laugh :D

How on earth can you say that one particular game engine is more sensitive to overclocking than another? If the hardware works fine when overclocked, the Source engine is not going to know any difference. And if the hardware is not stable when overclocked, the Source engine will probably crash - as any other engine or piece of software will.

But I'd love to hear a sensible explaination if you have one... :p

kMal
03-17-07, 08:13 PM
Me too actually..:)

Tho Jo Smale
03-18-07, 09:10 AM
Overclocking: The Half Life 2 engine is sensitive to overclocking. If you've overclocked any components on your system and are having problems such as crashes, reboots and graphical anomalies, the first thing to do is set everything back to default speeds and try running the game. If you don't experience the same problems at default speed, or they're reduced in severity, then your overclock is the primary culprit. Either permanently reduce your overclock and/or increase cooling to regain stability. Don't assume that because other games run with stability at a particular speed that Half Life 2 will do the same: the Half Life 2 engine is new and unique.

Ok here ya go. From Tweakguides. You 2 guys obviously haven't read up on the Source engine.

It's also a well know fact that poorly coded software with higher CPU or GPU overhead can be more sensitive to overclocking. Oblivion had similar issues for some people.

A quick google search would have explained all this quite easily....instead you decided to attempt to discredit something you knew absolutely nothing about.

Good work kids.

JC