PDA

View Full Version : NOOB hardware questions

markq019
02-22-07, 11:21 PM
Hey everyone -post #1

I've been wandering around the website for a few weeks now, gathering information.

I'm looking to build a system here in the next month or so, and I'm trying to decide exaclty what hardware to buy. Here is what I'm looking for in a system, and some of the stuff that I am looking at. I'd like to get some advice as to what I should go with, and where to get it from.

CPU - Intel E6600
mobo - I have looked at both the ASUS Striker Extreme, and EVGA 680i SLI. I am slightly concerned with some of the reviews that I have seen on both of the boards.
VidCard - EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB

I'm not a complete moron when it comes to computers, but I'm definitely not an expert and havent built my own computer since about 12 years ago.

I would appreciate any advice or recomendations that anyone can give me.

Thank you!

Mark

LORD-eX-Bu
02-25-07, 12:31 AM
if you could build those things 12 years ago then you will definately not have any problem with whats out now:D

Looks like a good setup, I take it you will be overclocking right? Make sure to get some good memory, i.e, Corsair Dominator 6400C4(I think) will be great!

I would definately spend a little extra and get the 640mb 8800 GTS instead of the 320, that way you'll be able to crank up the AA and AF and maintain good framerates.

get a good PSU, at least a 700w from a reputable company like OCZ.

For your hard drive(s) I would recommend the 320gb Seagate 7200.10 drives... perpendicular recording and they are fast! Take advantage of your onboard RAID controller:D

If you are afraid of the 680i I would recommend a board like the ASUS Commando. It costs slightly less than the EVGA 680i and significantly less than the striker. Basically it is the intel 965 chipset version of the Striker Extreme, it is easier to overclock, you get better results.. rock solid stable and it has a better RAID controller... research it tho and go with what you are more comfortable, anyways... welcome to nV News:D