PDA

View Full Version : What brand 8800GTS to buy?

Pete06
02-23-07, 06:47 AM
So many choises and close to same price?
im helping a friend who want to but a 8800GTS.. he wants to use tiger direct but there is like 4 or more diffrent brands all withing a $20 range. some are "superclocked" some look better than others.. how do I know what one to recomend?

Thanks

buffbiff21
02-23-07, 06:56 AM
EVGA, XFX, BFG are the 3 biggies.

I would go with EVGA because of their Step up and some new cards should be out with in 3 months in case you want to upgrade. :)

Jon
02-23-07, 07:16 AM
I'm sure everyone has good and bad experiences with all brands. Personally I always buy BFG now. Some stores in the UK have stopped selling XFX due to trouble getting them to accept rmas. I personally stopped buying XFX after buying one of their 7800GTs which suffered from the loud fan problem (turned out to be a batch of them where they had been assembled with the packing material still inside the metal shield).

Blacklash
02-23-07, 08:09 AM
Evga has worked well for me. I've had four of their cards so far; FX 5700 Ultra, 6800 GT, 7950 GX2 and now this 8800 GTX.

SlieTheSecond
02-23-07, 08:54 AM
I've always bought BFG. Partly due to them being overclocked. And EVGA video cards seem to be the last ones to show up at the stores here.
Never had a problem with a BFG yet.

SLippe
02-23-07, 09:14 AM
eVGA FTW!!!!

Redeemed
02-23-07, 09:25 AM
My vote goes to eVGA.

At first, I was a die-hard ASUS fan. Had an ASUS V8170 DDR (GF4 MX440) that rocked my face, then a V9980U (GFFX 5950U) which pwned even more. Then I ventured out and bought an XFX 6800GT- which was sweet. OC'd that card to 415/1.19 with stock HSF. Not an issue with temps or anything of the sort.

Then I went with dual MSI 7600GTs- the dual slot HDCP compliant ones. Those were superb as well.

Now I've got two eVGA 8800GTSs. Again no problems. The reason I think I'll be sticking with eVGA is unlike all the other brands- eVGA offers a lifetime warranty. Furthermore, they do have the step-up program as well.

So, my vote would be eVGA FTW!!! :p

crainger
02-23-07, 09:55 AM
I vote EVGA too. I should have bought EVGA... I found out they are the only ones that do a Lifetime warranty in Australia. XFX, BFG only offer 2 years outside the US and Europe :(

ATOJAR
02-23-07, 10:01 AM
EVGA..... all the way!

Madpistol
02-23-07, 02:03 PM
I remember when eVGA used to be a "crap" brand because their stuff was always less expensive than other companies. However, I no longer feel that way as I was pushed to buy an 8800 GTX and 680i SLI by them. Their warranty and step-up program are top notch.

BTW, stay away from PNY. They wouldn't let me claim my warranty under them after I had a slight problem 1 1/2 years into owning a 6800 GT from them. Never again though.

eVGA gets my vote. :D

technoid
02-23-07, 02:29 PM
I have an eVGA 8800GTS now and I love it. I've had some personal experience with their RMA process and it was way beyond what I expected so they have my vote. My last card, 6800GT AGP, was also an eVGA and it's still working fine.

nrdstrm
02-23-07, 03:45 PM
EVGA all the way...Great cards, great service, great programs...

mustrum
02-23-07, 04:34 PM
Just ordered an EVGA. The cards are all equal but EVGA offers the stepup program and good warranty so it is an easy choice.

andy_nv
02-23-07, 04:49 PM
I see people from the US and UK prefer eVGA and BFG to some extent... what about Gainward for us mainland Europeans ?

TiKiMaN1
02-23-07, 04:50 PM
EVGA.:D

methimpikehoses
02-23-07, 05:02 PM
I like my EVGA 8800GTS:

1. lifetime warranty (you must register your card online)
2. stepup program (you have 90 days to stepup if the next BIG thing comes out)
3. I like how they don't have a cheesy design on the heatsink
4. you can OC them w/o voiding the warranty (if you aren't running Vista :thumbdwn: )
5. you get Dark Messiah with it (not exactly a plus)
6. Usually a decent rebate opportunity on EVGA's

I've also owned a PNY FX5200 and an XFX 7900GS, and was satisfied with both of those as well, FYI.

DarkOneX
02-23-07, 06:11 PM
eVGA ftw. I've got a 7900GT Signature Series now but selling it and got an eVGA 8800GTS 320MB Superclock on the way here Monday w00t. Had an eVGA 7800GT, 6800GT, and 5900 before this, all worked great! Yes the step up and warrany are a big plus as well. Can't wait till Monday w00t!

Keleka
02-23-07, 06:58 PM
BFG= Lifetime Warranty

CaiNaM
02-23-07, 06:59 PM
i'm on my third BFG card, and they've all performed/o/c'd well.

a 6800gt i bought in june '04 died on me a couple of weeks ago (using it in my third pc that my kids use), and i sent an email back to bfg. got a response in 90min which basically asked me to call their tech support.

i called, and the wait was like 5 min or so; nothing irritating. spoke w/ the tech and in 5min had an rma #.

6 days after i shipped the card back to them the replacement arrived. very pleasant experience - well, as about as pleasant as it could be when something fails ;). not bad for a card almost 3 years old.

evga's stepup program intrigues me, but frankly when upgrading cards in 90days, i can generally sell em on ebay for what i paid for them, and buy the new one at a discounted price (rather than evga's msrp). end up getting it for less money than upgrading via step-up, and i'm not without a high-end card for a week...

more hassles tho i suppose, but for me it's been no big deal.

Maverickman
02-23-07, 08:47 PM
BFG = THE BEST!!!

Evga is also very good!!!!

Both have real lifetime warranties. BFG tech support is second to none.

marqmajere
02-24-07, 04:16 AM
eVGA. The last 3 cards I've ordered were of that brand. Awesome cards and the tech support is top notch.

ynnek
02-24-07, 05:32 AM
a 6800gt i bought in june '04 died on me a couple of weeks ago (using it in my third pc that my kids use), and i sent an email back to bfg. got a response in 90min which basically asked me to call their tech support.

i called, and the wait was like 5 min or so; nothing irritating. spoke w/ the tech and in 5min had an rma #.

6 days after i shipped the card back to them the replacement arrived. very pleasant experience - well, as about as pleasant as it could be when something fails ;). not bad for a card almost 3 years old.

Thats almost literally the same exact thing I went through with BFG!

Bearclaw
02-24-07, 06:06 AM
eVGA FTW!!!!
QFT.

mustrum
02-24-07, 06:59 AM
BFG and EVGA show how far support and warranty can get you.
BFG was not know here in europe not long ago. Only the UK had them for sale.
EVGA - what is EVGA?

Now you can get both these brands all over europe and they sell well.

As long graphics cards are all reference design one is as good as the other.
It`s the support thatmakes the difference and these 2 seem to excell there.

I just ordered my 1st EVGA card and thanks to the stepup program it wont be the last i am pretty sure.