PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered DFI LanParty as repleacement

aerocoolpc73
02-23-07, 09:07 AM
Newegg issued me a refund on my Asus A8N Premium that died. The RMA was handled completely as I have heard from numerous reviews just AWESOME. Ok well I want to stick with Newegg but they no longer have the Asus. So I ordered the only board that I would have chosen initially over the Asus Premium in the first place. But the reviews make the DFI sound like a really hard to get along with piece of hardware. Anyone have good/bad/horror stories with DFI motherboards particularly the Expert Nforce4. I just ordered one for 3 bucks cheaper than ASUS I bought month ago it should be here monday. I am going to bench build this one as I did the Asus so I still have this old PC to connect with so I am not worried about being out a working PC. Any feedback you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dsessom
02-23-07, 09:15 AM
I have owned two DFI LanParty boards, and I never had a single problem with one. I can't speak for the nForce4 chipset, as I usually run Intel chips but as far as the DFI LanPary series, I think you will be pleased with the board and all the extras that DFI packs with them.

aerocoolpc73
02-23-07, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the reply dsessom, appreciate it very much. I have had my eye on the DFI Expert from the get go. I didn't get it at first due to it being my first ground up build and I didn't want to get to far over my level of experience. But the Asus I bought went flawless and ran great for 3 weeks almost to the day then died. And I just love the DFI layout and I have the power supply to feed it the juice so I am really hoping it goes well and no problems. Thanks again for the enlightening response and I hope to reply back early next week with really good news that it went without to many problems.

einstein_314
02-23-07, 06:55 PM
Are you referring to the nForce4 SLI-DR Expert? I have the regular SLI-DR and it is outstanding. Rocksolid and so many options to tweak stuff. I love it. haven't had any problems with it either...

grey_1
02-23-07, 07:53 PM
I've had a s754 nf3 DFI, the LP UT SLI and the expert I'm using now. All three are still alive and well and in the family. Love 'em.

aerocoolpc73
02-23-07, 08:53 PM
Yep I have the Nforce 4 DFI Expert enroute for Monday. I am really looking forward to tackling it but I have read every review and all are raves about it. On the other hand the board that died was my first ground up build the Asus A8N Premium SLI that croaked after 3 weeks. This one has me a bit intimidated to say the least. I really wanna get my gaming rig back up and running it's been 10 days since it went down and this Socket A / AGP system of old is really hard to run on now. Thanks for the responses guys it's very much appreciated. I just hope I made the right choice by not going with another Asus Premium and I hope the DFI is everything i could ever hope for and much much more. One last question on the clearance of the Northbridge and the larger graphics cards. Should I expect with the 8800 GTS that it will somewhat cover the fan and create clearance issues for it?

grey_1
02-23-07, 10:26 PM
Yep I have the Nforce 4 DFI Expert enroute for Monday. I am really looking forward to tackling it but I have read every review and all are raves about it. On the other hand the board that died was my first ground up build the Asus A8N Premium SLI that croaked after 3 weeks. This one has me a bit intimidated to say the least. I really wanna get my gaming rig back up and running it's been 10 days since it went down and this Socket A / AGP system of old is really hard to run on now. Thanks for the responses guys it's very much appreciated. I just hope I made the right choice by not going with another Asus Premium and I hope the DFI is everything i could ever hope for and much much more. One last question on the clearance of the Northbridge and the larger graphics cards. Should I expect with the 8800 GTS that it will somewhat cover the fan and create clearance issues for it?
I don't know if boards shipping now would have an updated bios or not, but the bios mine arrived with had some bugs, it was recommended I upgrade it soon after installing windows.
Linky (http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bios_download_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3872&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=NA) for ya.

Enjoy!

aerocoolpc73
02-23-07, 10:56 PM
Thanks a million Grey_1 for the suggestion and the link to upgrade the bios for our board. I am really enthusiastic about this board and I hope to get it up and running. Even at stock settings I will be thrilled to death if it runs stable. I 'll research the OC stuff later as time goes on but just getting my 8800 back up and running will be reason enough for celebration I miss my high res gaming. HAHA

grey_1
02-23-07, 10:58 PM
Thanks a million Grey_1 for the suggestion and the link to upgrade the bios for our board. I am really enthusiastic about this board and I hope to get it up and running. Even at stock settings I will be thrilled to death if it runs stable. I 'll research the OC stuff later as time goes on but just getting my 8800 back up and running will be reason enough for celebration I miss my high res gaming. HAHA
Glad to help man.

aerocoolpc73
02-23-07, 11:14 PM
Any other suggestions you could offer on the install of this board. I am excited yet really kind of intimidated by the possibilites this board offers. This is the one I wanted all along the Asus that died was my #2 choice and now I regret going that route but I really think it was more a fluke than anything as I was very happy with the way that board was performing. Any problems you can forsee using the GSKILL ram and the Corsair 620 HX? I imagine they are both high end enough that they should work fine. Any suggestions are welcomed and very appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.

grey_1
02-23-07, 11:37 PM
I'd do alot of reading as the expert bios is loaded, pretty much anything you might need to tweak. DFI street forums (http://www.diy-street.com/forum/index.php)are back up, and would be a great place to start.

If your a novice like me, take your time, and just enjoy. :)