PDA

View Full Version : C2D high temps... dont know what else to do

spaceigg
02-23-07, 10:05 AM
Hi I built my new system about 3 weeks ago. from the very beginning I had problems with overheating of the processor caused by the useless thermal paste on the stock HSF. I cleaned the processor and fan and added some arctic silver 5 temps went down as low as 40 degrees celcius. I was happy! now the processor is heating up again with temps in the 60s celcius. when iddle!!

Do you think I have a defective processor? or is this normal? acceptable?

Thank you!

nmdelrio
02-23-07, 10:16 AM
How many intake fans and extract fans do you have?

Could be a case of warm air lingering inside the case. Try opening the side panel for a while and observe the temps. For sure the temps should go down, by how much is another story.

dsessom
02-23-07, 10:22 AM
Something is definitely wrong. I just build an E6600 machine and it clocked from the stock 2.4Ghz to 3.0Ghz with stock heatsink (and crappy thermal tape) and ran at 38*C (95*F) overclocked (idle).

spaceigg
02-23-07, 10:23 AM
1 intake
1 extract
plus 1 funnel tunnel for the processor.

I openned the side panel temps the same, and the fan on the processor is barely running... I guess that could be it. is it safe to set the fan to 100% all the time?

nmdelrio
02-23-07, 10:33 AM
1 intake
1 extract
plus 1 funnel tunnel for the processor.

I openned the side panel temps the same, and the fan on the processor is barely running... I guess that could be it. is it safe to set the fan to 100% all the time?

It definitely is the processor fan. Yes, it it safe to set the fan to run 100% all the time.

Check the cpu heatsink for dust clogging the fins, and clean it out if you find any.

The stock fans that come with processors doesn't quite do the job. I suggest you get one of those aftermarket fans like Zalman. They are not expensive and does a very good job.

nmdelrio
02-23-07, 10:36 AM
Something is definitely wrong. I just build an E6600 machine and it clocked from the stock 2.4Ghz to 3.0Ghz with stock heatsink (and crappy thermal tape) and ran at 38*C (95*F) overclocked (idle).

That's a very nice temp (39C) on an overclocked C2D and stock cooling. What's your room temp like?

Mine is watercooled and can get only 40C idle OCed to 2.9GHz. My room temp is 22-24C.

dsessom
02-23-07, 10:48 AM
That's a very nice temp (39C) on an overclocked C2D and stock cooling. What's your room temp like?

Mine is watercooled and can get only 40C idle OCed to 2.9GHz. My room temp is 22-24C.

Right at 68-70*F usually. I used a LIAN LI PC-7B plus II case that has 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust fans so it's got plenty of air flow and isn't very loud. It's running on an Abit AB9 Pro motherboard. I set the clock to 333fsb (1333 effective) and the ram (Corsair PC2 6400) at 2/3 (888fsb). No voltage adjustments on either CPU or RAM.
Scored 4996 on 3DMark 06 with an XFX 7900GS.

spaceigg
02-23-07, 11:24 AM
ok down to 45 idle no oc fan set @ 100%
what im really concerned about is that my processr might be defective do you think thats a possibility or should I just blame the stock cooling?

nmdelrio
02-23-07, 11:42 AM
what im really concerned about is that my processr might be defective do you think thats a possibility or should I just blame the stock cooling?

IMHO your processor is okey. 45C is just about right. I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't blame stock cooling, but I would say there are better coolers in the market.

Zelda_fan
02-23-07, 01:05 PM

That is running pretty hot. Make sure you have some 120mm case fans at good positions to keep the airflow good in your case. It sounds like you have a poorly designed case, and the inside isn't getting good airflow.

Madpistol
02-23-07, 01:13 PM
For the airflow you're getting, I'd say you're fine. mine gets 40c idle on stock cooling w/stock thermal compound. However, the Antec Nine Hundred is a wind tunnel, so that's no basis for comparison.

Zelda_fan
02-23-07, 01:16 PM
For the airflow you're getting, I'd say you're fine. mine gets 40c idle on stock cooling w/stock thermal compound. However, the Antec Nine Hundred is a wind tunnel, so that's no basis for comparison.

Mine gets 30C at idle on stock cooling and I have it overclocked to 3GHZ and EIST turned off.

60C certainly isn't dangerous (the core2s can take about 70C), but I've invested a good bit of money into a good case and some good 120mm fans, and the results are that my system runs extremely cool even under overclocked conditions.