View Full Version : Vista Driver news

MikeC
02-23-07, 04:55 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/object/vista_driver_news_022207.html

Q
02-23-07, 05:19 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/object/vista_driver_news_022207.html

:clap:

This is great news. I'm glad to see this type of customer service and interaction from Nvidia.

zoomy942
02-23-07, 05:23 PM
:clap: well done nvidia!

Richteralan
02-23-07, 05:24 PM
I hope the issue: brightness/contrast stays the same is the issue I reported. (I reported that the color setting problem).

grey_1
02-23-07, 05:26 PM
Thank you MikeC.

AngelGraves13
02-23-07, 05:34 PM
So, it looks like we won't be seeing VSYNC in games unless the games themselves support the feature?

MikeC
02-23-07, 05:45 PM
So, it looks like we won't be seeing VSYNC in games unless the games themselves support the feature?

I'm following up on that question with NVIDIA, but it sounds like Vista is ensuring that vsync is always enabled unless the game requests that it be disabled. The NVIDIA driver is no longer capable of disabling vsync globally, which reviewers need to know when running benchmarks on Vista :)

Due to architectural changes in the new Windows Vista Window Display Driver Model (WDDM), the graphics driver can no longer disable vsync from its own driver or Control Panel. Selecting this option from the NVIDIA Control Panel will have no affect on DirectX applications. For applications that use Direct3D on Vista, use the vertical sync setting within the application. We are adjusting the help text in the NVIDIA Control Panel to make this clearer to our customers.

An excellent write-up on vsync - http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Vsync problem report here - http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86756

OWA
02-23-07, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the update.

XxDeadlyxX
02-23-07, 06:17 PM
I dont know if its Vista's fault or the nvidia driver fault, but D3D Vsync is borked, there is tearing regardless of whether its disabled or enabled. There is another thread about this though, but basically it tears predominately at the top of the screen when enabled.

OWA
02-23-07, 08:17 PM
Yeah, vsync seems to be a vista issue. I can't seem to control vsync with the X1900XTX either. I've tried forcing vsync on in the infernal demo but my framerate is always way above my 60hz refresh rate of the LCD. I'll try to install another game on that system sometime soon just as a double-check.

Edit: Tried the fear combat demo on the X1900XTX and vsync can't be forced in that one either. So, it does really seem to be a Vista issue. I wonder why they're not allowing control of vsync?

hemmy
02-23-07, 09:50 PM
man MS is kinda dumb, why would they put limitations on Vsync like this?

grey_1
02-23-07, 10:19 PM
man MS is kinda dumb, why would they put limitations on Vsync like this?
I don't know it would be on purpose. More likely just another bug to squash.

nekrosoft13
02-23-07, 10:36 PM
nice, but they would need more info

only 5 games have issues? thats not even close

Phyxion
02-24-07, 01:40 AM
Overclocking available? What? They tell me how to do it then, since I cannot get it working, it always fails the test.

spartn117
02-24-07, 05:37 AM
tried call of duty2 and there's no tearing once vsync is enabled in the game.
same for rainbow six vegas.
battlefield 2/2142 does not have vsync option in the game and there's a lot of tearing.....this sucks. anybody knows how to fix vsync on battlefield ? please help :-(

therapture
02-24-07, 10:47 PM
tried call of duty2 and there's no tearing once vsync is enabled in the game.

Agreed, mine works flawlessly in CoD2.

Shocky
02-25-07, 08:22 AM
Weird, vsync seems to be stuck on even with it turned off in some games.. So I guess this is Microsofts fault that we can't disable it... This has to be the worst transition between Windows OS's I've ever made driver wise.. Almost all the drivers i've installed are still beta and very limited... Microsoft need to sort this out or people are gonna start reinstalling XP. :(

nekrosoft13
02-25-07, 12:09 PM
Weird, vsync seems to be stuck on even with it turned off in some games.. So I guess this is Microsofts fault that we can't disable it... This has to be the worst transition between Windows OS's I've ever made driver wise.. Almost all the drivers i've installed are still beta and very limited... Microsoft need to sort this out or people are gonna start reinstalling XP. :(

why is having vsync on such a bad thing?

OWA
02-25-07, 12:25 PM
Not addressing his issue directly but just in general...

It wouldn't be as big a deal if every game supported triple buffering but a lot of them don't. Even so, I still prefer vsync off. I use to just force the global vsync setting in the CP to off so I didn't have to set it in every game. Most games provide a vsync setting though so hopefully it'll just be a minor inconvenience.

Shocky
02-25-07, 12:29 PM

I don't like my framerate locked at 60-30fps with mouse lag.. You might, I don't.. ok ?