PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTS 320 - Slow downs occuring in FEAR

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

hapooh
02-23-07, 08:45 PM
I recently purchased an EVGA 8800 GTS 320 meg, and I was playing the first level in FEAR "Point of Origin", and noticed a few areas on this level where my FPS go from 50's down to the teens. I was using FRAPS to capture the FPS.

The interesting thing I noticed is that if I saved the game at the exact point where the FPS dropped into the teens, and then reloaded the level back to that point, the FPS would jump back up to the 50's.

It's like reloading the game seemed to clear the video memory.

So my question for everyone is do you think this is due to the 320 megs of memory or is this a driver related issue.

Another thing to note, is that I have a 7800 GT with 256 megs of memory and
using the exact same in game settings I don't experience this slow down. Granted my FPS are much lower with the 7800 GT but still relatively speaking, the slow down does not occur.

So any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

My system Specs are E6400 @ 3.4ghz, 2gig Corsair XMS 6400 DDR2, AB9 PRO Motherboard.

FEAR is run with 4x aa and 8 aniscoptic filtering and resolution is 1280 x 960 and soft shadows are enabled. All other settings are at maximum.

BoscoWg
02-23-07, 09:08 PM
You installed Xfire? Xfire ruins and corrupts the game

grey_1
02-23-07, 10:03 PM
I don't have an 8800 yet, but I do know certain drivers were causing slowdowns in some games. Maybe try a different version?

hapooh
02-24-07, 12:26 AM
I don't have an 8800 yet, but I do know certain drivers were causing slowdowns in some games. Maybe try a different version?

I don't have Xfire installed, and I have a dual boot machine, and the same issues occur in Vista at the exact same locations in the game.

A friend of mine also purchased a EVGA 8800 GTS 320 and said he saw similar slow downs in World Of Warcraft.

I've played oblivion, and I haven't seen t his issue. Maybe it's just game specific. I will try a different set of drivers and see how that works out.

Btw I have v97.92 in XP and v100.65 in Vista.

technoid
02-24-07, 09:30 AM
Do you have 2 gig of RAM?

EDIT: OPPs... Sorry I didn't notice the specs in your first post till I went back after posting this.

IQz3r0
02-24-07, 09:41 AM
There are similar slowdowns in WoW and Stalker MP Beta, but only under Windows Vista. I haven't noticed any slowdowns in Windows XP.

KickAssCop
02-24-07, 12:21 PM
I am not sure but these slow downs are usually seen in eVGA cards. I don't see them in any other cards. Wtf?

RussianHAXOR
02-24-07, 12:30 PM
KickAss could you explain to me how thats possible that the Evga cards are different from the others?

Madpistol
02-24-07, 01:09 PM
EVGA is a referrence design card. All manufacturers use the same PCB as EVGA. Saying that this problem is related to EVGA only is BS.

RussianHAXOR
02-24-07, 01:36 PM
:D i know.

KickAssCop
02-24-07, 02:44 PM
I have a BFG 8800GTS 320 MB and I get no slowdowns. I have seen another instance of slowdowns in Oblivion w/ a guy who has an opteron 165 and eVGA 8800GTS 320 MB and still has lower frames than myself. I am not sure whether my theory that I am basing on only 3 posts is true or not but it seems that the eVGA cards are the only ones exhibiting slowdowns. About reference design, yes there can be issues and there have been issues with eVGA cards (or any other brand for that matter) before also.

About me spreading bull****, I said I saw them on eVGA cards over a cursory look at the forums. None of the other brand 8800GTS 320 MB have similar problems including mine and I have the slowest CPU.

kthnxbye.

RussianHAXOR
02-24-07, 03:02 PM
Hmmm, it still doesnt make any sense at all. Because its the EXACT SAME card.

KickAssCop
02-24-07, 10:34 PM
I was still having issues with Oblivion even after my last post. I'm not going to go into detail, but the problem in the end was ****ing dual core. I'm running the game on a single core right now and there's no more of that 10fps and below slideshow **** I kept running into. Seems dual core in games causes more problems than it fixes (I should know this too because I've had to run other games on a single core before to get them to run their best.. but this time I kind of shrugged that off because Oblivion is supposed to take advantage of dual core CPU's).

Some new screens: 1360x768, 4xAA (including gamma-correct and transparency), 8xAF, most in-game settings maxed, LOD texture replacements, etc. I'm going to run it the way it is for a bit and make sure it maintains, then I may see how far I can push it and still keep it playable (more tweaks, higher-res LOD fixes, etc..)

See if this helps?

hapooh
02-26-07, 10:26 AM
I have a core 2 duo E6400.... my question is ... is there a way to disable dual core functionality at the OS level.. just to do a quick test to see if the issues are resolved, or is there a way to disable dual core within FEAR itself... ???

XFX Support
02-26-07, 10:48 AM
Its been my experience that with the 8800 cards slow downs are usually casued by two factors: Drivers or the power supply. I didnt see the specs for your PSU. Try disconnecting all from your power supply except the motherboard, video card and the hard drive. This is with the understanding you have checked to ensure there is no spyware slowing you down.

XFX Support

Jon
02-26-07, 11:08 AM
Just a thought... but whats the temp of the card? Overheating gpu would throttle back causing stuttering in games.

Also, is the card running at stock 500/1600 or is it overclocked?

IQz3r0
02-26-07, 06:19 PM
I have a BFG 8800GTS 320MB card and I get slowdowns (WoW and Stalker MP Beta), but only in Vista (32bit). Under XP everything is fine. PSU is a 500W Antec SmartPower 2.0 and it's working fine under XP, as I don't think a new OS would make hardware components use more juice. Temps are fine also. I guess it's a problem with the Vista drivers, not the hardware.

MikeC
02-26-07, 07:44 PM
I recently purchased an EVGA 8800 GTS 320 meg, and I was playing the first level in FEAR "Point of Origin", and noticed a few areas on this level where my FPS go from 50's down to the teens. I was using FRAPS to capture the FPS.

The interesting thing I noticed is that if I saved the game at the exact point where the FPS dropped into the teens, and then reloaded the level back to that point, the FPS would jump back up to the 50's.

It's like reloading the game seemed to clear the video memory.

So my question for everyone is do you think this is due to the 320 megs of memory or is this a driver related issue.

Another thing to note, is that I have a 7800 GT with 256 megs of memory and
using the exact same in game settings I don't experience this slow down. Granted my FPS are much lower with the 7800 GT but still relatively speaking, the slow down does not occur.

So any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

My system Specs are E6400 @ 3.4ghz, 2gig Corsair XMS 6400 DDR2, AB9 PRO Motherboard.

FEAR is run with 4x aa and 8 aniscoptic filtering and resolution is 1280 x 960 and soft shadows are enabled. All other settings are at maximum.

Use Video Memory Watcher or RivaTuner to determine the amount of video memory that is being used.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_geforce_8800_gts_320mb/images/video_memory_watcher_s.png

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_geforce_8800_gts_320mb/images/rivatuner_video_memory_usage.png

I experienced a similar issue with the 320MB GTS, but it occurred at a much higher resolution - 1920x1200 (note the minimum of 10fps with 4xAA).

I noticed that you enabled AA and soft shadows. Run a few tests with each setting enabled individually and see if your results change.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_geforce_8800_gts_320mb/page_3.shtml

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_geforce_8800_gts_320mb/images/benchmarks/fear_minimum.png

hapooh
02-26-07, 11:51 PM
I've been using RivaTuner for a couple of months and I've searched within the Rivatuner app, but I still cannot memory usage. How do you enable it? I of course can see the histogram graph charts of core temperature, ambient temperature, ... core speed etc... I even checked the setup tab to enable/disable monitoring features, but still nothing about video memory usage. On a side note, my temperatures are idle around 56 c and peak around 79 c. Also I think I have a antec power supply, it's 2 years old and it's 500 watt. Though I do know that it's not an offically listed power supply for the 8800gts'. Still I have had no problems with the power supply, so I'm not certain that is the reason.

K-1
02-27-07, 02:30 AM
I've been using RivaTuner for a couple of months and I've searched within the Rivatuner app, but I still cannot memory usage. How do you enable it? I of course can see the histogram graph charts of core temperature, ambient temperature, ... core speed etc... I even checked the setup tab to enable/disable monitoring features, but still nothing about video memory usage. On a side note, my temperatures are idle around 56 c and peak around 79 c. Also I think I have a antec power supply, it's 2 years old and it's 500 watt. Though I do know that it's not an offically listed power supply for the 8800gts'. Still I have had no problems with the power supply, so I'm not certain that is the reason.

On the monitoring screen, click on the Setup button on the lower right. Then, click Plugins. Now, scroll down to the VidMem.dll, and click on the check next to it. Hit OK and you should be set!

You are running just one GTS right? Your PSU should be fine for that.

Jon
02-27-07, 02:58 AM
I know that FEAR doesn't run well at all in Vista at the moment. But it runs fine for me in XP with the same card. Although I never enable soft shadows.

IQz3r0
02-27-07, 08:08 AM
I know that FEAR doesn't run well at all in Vista at the moment. But it runs fine for me in XP with the same card. Although I never enable soft shadows.

I didn't try FEAR, but I'll try the C&C 3 demo tonight in both XP and Vista. Hopefully it's just Vista's or drivers' fault and not a hardware issue.

hapooh
02-27-07, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the info... that should do it. I am running just one GTS.
Currently, I am running my tests in XP for FEAR, though I did try once in Vista and had the exact same slow downs. I was reading in another thread, that there have been slow downs due to drivers, before 97.28. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the older drivers to see if that made a difference and still the same slow down issues. In all honesty the slowdowns only occur in certain parts of FEAR, and it may in the end be due to 320 memory. When I get home I'll check the memory usage and compare it to the places in FEAR where the slow down occurs, vs. the areas where the fps are in the 50's . I'll post my results later today. thanks again for the help and suggestions from everyone.

DarkOneX
02-27-07, 12:31 PM
The slowdowns have nothing to do with memory, I believe it's the drivers. I Got my 8800GTS 320MB instaleld yesterday to replace my 7900GT Signature Series and I've been running Vista for a couple weeks+ now. Before Vista FEAR ran mega smooth @ 1600x1200 0AA/16XAF, HQ settings, in XP. Once I got Vista I started having this same slowdown issue you are describing. Yesterday I thought putting that 8800GTS in might fix it but it didn't. I was using 100.65 drivers on both cards btw, and I was also getting crashing in the new nVidia demos. Last night I went down to the 100.64 beta drivers and guess what? No more slowdown in FEAR at all, plays like butter, and my demos aren't crashing anymore. w00t! So I think it's the drivers dude. Try 100.64 and see if it works for you.

hapooh
02-28-07, 09:29 PM
On the monitoring screen, click on the Setup button on the lower right. Then, click Plugins. Now, scroll down to the VidMem.dll, and click on the check next to it. Hit OK and you should be set!

You are running just one GTS right? Your PSU should be fine for that.

Thanks it worked...

I finally got around to testing using RivaTuner and memory usage feature after enabling the video memory plugin... I did several pass thru's with FEAR and noticed that in the areas where the slow downs occurred my memory usage was at 280 megs, and the FPS were in the teens. In the areas where the FPS where in the 50's , the memory usage was in the 240 meg range.

I not certain what this means exactly, but I have exceeded the 320 meg range, so perhaps memory is not the issue. Again I am running XP not Vista, and I am using the 97.92 XP drivers. However my friend tried out the 100.64 like someone suggested and that fixed all his problems in Vista. He was originally running 100.65 and he had nothing but issues with WoW and FEAR and Oblivion, now everything for him runs smooth, like he expected.