PDA

View Full Version : Getting Beyond Good and Evil working in Vista x64

AdamK47
02-23-07, 09:50 PM
Is there a way to get this game working in Vista x64? The game has copy protection that refuses to work under the 64-bit version of both XP and Vista. The game won't run and says the game is not installed correctly when I try to start it. Is there a way around this?

banned1011
02-23-07, 09:58 PM
Is there a way to get this game working in Vista x64? The game has copy protection that refuses to work under the 64-bit version of both XP and Vista. The game won't run and says the game is not installed correctly when I try to start it. Is there a way around this?

Not to promote cracking / piracy. But have you checked for a no cd crack that might let the game start by bypassing this copy protection?

Even MS sometimes has to do this to make things work...
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1416/

nekrosoft13
02-23-07, 10:23 PM
what does it have? tages or starforce?

AdamK47
02-23-07, 10:24 PM
I actually bought Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Beyond Good and Evil, and a slew of other older games recently. Chaos Theory and Beyond Good and Evil are UbiSoft games. I was able to get Chaos Theory to work with a no-cd executable, but there doesn't appear to be one for Beyond Good and Evil. I mean there is one, but not one that circumvents the incompatible copy protection drivers. I highly doubt Ubi is going to patch a 3 year old game, so I have to find another way around this. I hope someone know of something.

AdamK47
02-23-07, 10:25 PM
what does it have? tages or starforce?

tages

nekrosoft13
02-23-07, 10:39 PM
tages is even more of a bitch then Starforce

supposelly there is a 64bit update somewhere, but i wasn't able to find it yet

edit, found them

http://www.aowhq.de/index.php?go=downloads&dl_id=109

AdamK47
02-23-07, 10:59 PM
tages is even more of a bitch then Starforce

supposelly there is a 64bit update somewhere, but i wasn't able to find it yet

edit, found them

http://www.aowhq.de/index.php?go=downloads&dl_id=109

Thanks! I'll try it out right now. The game won't even install on a 64-bit OS because of the Tages driver. As soon as InstallShield tries to install the driver it quits and deletes all of BGAE it installed before that. I have to install it on another PC and then copy it over to my main PC. I'll let you know how it goes.

AdamK47
02-23-07, 11:58 PM
I didn't work. It still tells me that Beyond Good and Evil is not Installed Correctly. I don't know what else it needs.

nekrosoft13
02-24-07, 12:10 AM
sorry about that, i don't know what else to tell you

firehawk
02-24-07, 01:42 AM
has nvidia fixed the horrid water slow down in bg&e yet?

i really want to replay through it again :(

CaptNKILL
02-24-07, 06:32 AM
I didn't work. It still tells me that Beyond Good and Evil is not Installed Correctly. I don't know what else it needs.
Try searching the XP registry (using regedit) for anything related to the game, use the file menu to export each registry "folder" for the game, and then open the files in vista to import them into the registry.

99.9% of the time, this is guaranteed to work because there really isnt anywhere else for a game to install any files or information.

kevJ420
02-24-07, 11:24 AM
good luck. i'm worried about bg&e's water bug myself. my 8800 GTXs SLI
(evga acs3 eds) better run it w/ the patch and max quality water and no slowdown, or i'll probably OD on heroin.

AdamK47
02-24-07, 01:29 PM
Try searching the XP registry (using regedit) for anything related to the game, use the file menu to export each registry "folder" for the game, and then open the files in vista to import them into the registry.

99.9% of the time, this is guaranteed to work because there really isnt anywhere else for a game to install any files or information.

I've done that too. I searched for everything in the registry for the word "Beyond" and imported about 4 entries. It didn't work and I still don't know what the game is looking for.

Is there a program out there that will let me transfer Beyond Good and Evil from XP and Vista? Something that copies all registry entries and anything else the game installs?

CaptNKILL
02-24-07, 05:07 PM
I've done that too. I searched for everything in the registry for the word "Beyond" and imported about 4 entries. It didn't work and I still don't know what the game is looking for.

Is there a program out there that will let me transfer Beyond Good and Evil from XP and Vista? Something that copies all registry entries and anything else the game installs?
Not sure.

Did you try running the game or the installer with different compatibility modes? That seems to work rather well in Vista.

AdamK47
02-24-07, 05:22 PM
Not sure.

Did you try running the game or the installer with different compatibility modes? That seems to work rather well in Vista.

Yes. The installer quits as soon as the copy protection gets installed. This is on the third disk right at the end. When the installer quits it deletes everthing it installed before that.

CaptNKILL
02-24-07, 05:38 PM
Yes. The installer quits as soon as the copy protection gets installed. This is on the third disk right at the end. When the installer quits it deletes everthing it installed before that.
Hmm...

I have the downloadable version that I got free with my Fileplanet subscription, I'll see if that will install in Vista.

CaptNKILL
02-24-07, 05:53 PM
I just tried it and it installs fine and the game itself works but there are a ton of graphical artifacts. I don't know if its just the options I chose or if the game just hates the current Vista nvidia drivers.

kevJ420
02-24-07, 10:57 PM
I just tried it and it installs fine and the game itself works but there are a ton of graphical artifacts. I don't know if its just the options I chose or if the game just hates the current Vista nvidia drivers.

send nvidia a bug report. i'm deeply worried about this. i'm totally worried that the lack of a w-buffer or equivalent is causing problems. the w-buffer was the best graphics chipset feature there ever was. long-arse draw distances. they could at least double the z-precision, make it floating pt, and give an option to invert it. i want that as much as anything.

AdamK47
02-25-07, 12:16 AM

Is that x64? x64 is does not like 32-bit copy protection drivers.

firehawk
02-25-07, 12:51 AM
good luck. i'm worried about bg&e's water bug myself. my 8800 GTXs SLI
(evga acs3 eds) better run it w/ the patch and max quality water and no slowdown, or i'll probably OD on heroin.

thats abit extreme :headexplode:

it was totally unplayable on y old 7800 gtx 1-2fps in the airboat.

i have submitted tickets to both nvidia and ubisoft along time ago. nothing has ever been fixed :(