PDA

View Full Version : Noise with 8800GTS stock cooling

Rakeesh
02-24-07, 02:18 AM
Just curious if anybody knows, which brand of 8800GTS includes the most quiet stock GPU cooler? And I mean always quiet, as in even at full load it doesn't produce much noise.

I have heard that the EVGA stock cooler is pretty quiet, but I haven't heard whether or not it stays quiet while playing some kind of game that totally makes the card heat up.

buffbiff21
02-24-07, 02:29 AM
I believe it is the same HSF as the GTX... I am speaking here from my experience with the EVGA GTX model's fan:

They are pretty quiet at idle but VERY loud when the card is under load... It is BY FAR the loudest component in my rig, which is why I ordered some waterblocks for them: to shut them up. :D

Rakeesh
02-24-07, 03:37 AM
Are there any silent cooling solutions for these that don't involve water, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and isn't a pain in the ass to assemble?

ynnek
02-24-07, 04:12 AM
I think they all use the reference cooler...... The best info I could find:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q1/geforce-8800s/index.x?pg=11

I'm kinda doubting there are going to be a better air cooler out there, that will cool the entire card well, while being quieter. EVGA made one with the ASC3, but it doesn't seem to be any quieter.. Oh yea, Sparkle made a peltier cooled 8800, but it was actually louder! http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2873&p=9

For an actual method to reduce sound relative to your ears physically, there is one alternative, but its not "1337", so nobody likes it, but it definitely gets the job done! Physically move your case outside of your room and use long cables. I made a post about it here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82246&highlight=cables

Its been great, can _barely_ hear my case, on a 2 AM dead night, i have to actually sit still and listen. As reference,I can now hear the whine from the mx518 mouse(listen to it closely, it makes a high pitch whine).. The outside wind blowing around, and some odd cars driving blocks away are much louder.. Hell, I just heard my neighbor's, neighbor's neighbor's wind chime. In the hall, its far enough from my bedroom at night that I can't hear it.. nor hear it downstairs..

.. and the best part is, the benefits transfers over very easily to my next computer. Its also quieter(relative to where you sit when using your computer) than almost any other uber-setup that has the case right next to you. Also, a side benefit of not dumping heat into this room in the summer. Can't argue with results. This is what professionals in the audio business do if they need to use a computer in a recording room, because in the end, its the most effective way to quiet the room.

its funny.. some people think 45ish db at idle is pretty quiet.. I think its barely tolerable sometimes! Noise and noise levels are subjective.

technoid
02-24-07, 09:27 AM
I have an EVGA 8800GTS and I never hear it. That's under the windows desktop and while playing a game. I've also ran 3DMark06 and don't hear it there either. So I think you'd be happy with the sound of the HSF on the EVGA 8800GTS. My system specs are in my sig.