PDA

View Full Version : On the Gary Tarolli Interview

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Typedef Enum
03-14-03, 09:53 AM
I just wanted to throw this out there, in case anybody is wondering whatever happened with it...

Around mid-summer last year, I asked Brian Burke about doing an interview with Gary Tarolli, especially given the fact that NV30 was to bring the 1st real nVidia/3dfx technology to the mix, etc. So, he talked to a few folks, and said that nVidia agreed to the thing.

So, I began the process of coming up with questions, having solicited questions from various forums. In each case, I specifically mentioned that nVidia had agreed to do the interview.

I spent many many hours in both putting together the questions, as well as editing them (nVidia sent the stuff back a couple of times, asking for some specific revisions). In total, I would guess that I spent at least 10 hours on the thing. One of the last correspondances I have is where Brian Burke accepted the interview as-is, and said that he would shoot it off to Gary, and get it back to me in the not-too-distant future.

Obviously, something happened along the way. The NV30 was getting more delayed, the rumours were flying, ATI was kicking ass with the 9700...more and more websites started laughing @ nVidia's unrealistic quotes (take your pick....launching the thing by end of 2002 was just laughable), taking a good look @ these guys, from top to bottom.

I think these guys didn't feel like I/we were "playing ball" with them...There were all sorts of emails from Brian Burke over the last several months whenever we would post info that simply made them look bad.

In the end, I think this was one of those deals where it was almost like...

"You know...these guy(s) aren't playing ball with us here...maybe I won't give them this interview after all."

That's pretty much the scoop on this interview...why it never happened. I personally felt bad simply because I went on several forums, letting people know that this arrangement was happening, and generally raising interest on the whole thing. It made me look like I was either drumming up interest in something I couldn't backup, or just lied my ass off to anybody that would listen. The bottom line is that nVidia's PR department agreed to the interview...the thing was sent to them...and I can only assume that Gary did sit down and answer the questions? (don't hold me to that, though).

I just wanted to get that out there, in case anybody was wondering what happened to it.

Joe DeFuria
03-14-03, 10:09 AM
Sorry to hear that, Type. :(

You know, I'm starting to wonder about the fact that both NVNews and 3dGPU have failed to post a blurb / link to the HardOCP GeForceFX p/review.

Why do I get the feeling that nVidia sent these sites a note "requesting" (Ahem), that they "play ball" and not promote it.

Usually, both nVNews and 3dgpu have been pretty good about posting links to news/reviews about both ATI and nVidia products...good and bad. And the HardOCP review is considered by practically everyone to be the most "fair" of the MX reviews to date.....and yet both sites coincidentally have not linked to it? And both sites claim to be (and in many respect are) more about 3d graphics in general, and not "just" nVidia fan sites?

Please NVNews, I would like to have my theory rebuked. But as long as the HardOCP review doesn't make the front page on both here and 3DGPU, it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

digitalwanderer
03-14-03, 10:26 AM
First real quick, I believe nVnews never posts links to [H]. I don't know the whole story, but I know the review in question was written by Pelly who is an ex-nVnewser.

Sorry to hear about that Typedef Enum, sounds like they hosed you quite properly. If it's any consolation, you ain't the only one who has been getting this treatment from nVidia lately. There's a couple of places where I know of that something VERY similar to that happened behind the scenes.

You either have the choice of bending over and being nVidia's bicht for 'em or saying "No!" and getting your insider access/review cards cut-off.

Personally, I think you made the right decision. :)

Screw the suits, we're in this for the fun of it...aren't we?

Cotita
03-14-03, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer

Screw the suits, we're in this for the fun of it...aren't we?

At the beginning I think they were, now, I'm not so sure...

panzaman
03-14-03, 11:40 AM
..typedef, I suggest you make a lot of noise about this issue, nVidia, once again is howing their true face, and we stupid sods that have been feeding them in all these years.

Solomon
03-14-03, 11:51 AM
Hey Typedef Enum, Welcome to the fold. Nvidia plays one way and that is their way. It was funny, one time I posted a poll on my site asking our readers if this version of detonators was released for the sole purpose to raise 3DMark2001 scores. No later then a day goes by, Nvidia emailed me saying that poll wasn't fair and I wasn't informing my viewers correctly. I then fired off an email back saying with all the data that's available and games used today, the only benefits the drivers saw was an increase in 3DMark2001 scores. I get a reply back saying that they increases pixel shader efficiency or whatever and that games utilizing that would show a increase. Well low and behold, 3DMark2001 was really the only thing out using pixel shader at that time. Needless to say, I never received a reply from that. Hehe.

From what I learn. They want only what they want, ATi or Nvidia. You post something that they don't like, they will tell you to take it down or whatever. But when you email them asking for information, etc... They never return the emails. Kinda one sided eh? Heh. What I notice as of late are these PR interviews. Can someone tell me WTF are those about? Nothing but poster board awareness about the specific company at hand. A total waste of bandwidth if you ask me.

Then you have this whole FX dilema. You have sites who tell the truth and then you have the sites that tell you what the parent company wants you to know. We saw true colors with the "previews/reviews" of the FX on a variety of sites. This has probably awaken a lot of questions from viewers this time around asking why in the hell didn't you cover this area, praise that feature, or didn't say the real deal?

Yesterday I finally read a review that dished out jabs, right hooks and uppercuts on a video card from Nvidia. I have never ever read such a review that back lashed Nvidia regarding their marketing propaganda and that was [H]. Which was ironic knowing [H]'s history. What I'm curious is what happened to the thread on this forum that was taking feedback from [H]'s 5200 & 5600 review? It seems to have just disappeared?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

digitalwanderer
03-14-03, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Cotita
At the beginning I think they were, now, I'm not so sure...

It wouldn't be the first time, it won't be the last; but it still sucks. :(

John Reynolds
03-14-03, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Solomon
What I'm curious is what happened to the thread on this forum that was taking feedback from [H]'s 5200 & 5600 review? It seems to have just disappeared?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

It was merged with the 'official' 5200/5600 thread. It's a sticky up top.

Solomon
03-14-03, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by John Reynolds
It was merged with the 'official' 5200/5600 thread. It's a sticky up top.

Thank you, I appreciate the info.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

digitalwanderer
03-14-03, 12:09 PM
What I'm curious is what happened to the thread on this forum that was taking feedback from [H]'s 5200 & 5600 review? It seems to have just disappeared?

I agree with every word you said, but wanted to let you know that they did NOT delete that thread...it was merged with the 5200/5600 General Review threads on about page 4 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8506&pagenumber=4).

I kind of feel it deserves it's own thread too, but it ain't my site to be making those calls at. :(

EDITED BITS: Damn it! I had to put my daughter down for nappy, (lemme rephrase that, "try to begin to attempt to persuade/convince/threaten/beg my daughter to get a TINY little bit of rest in" would be closer to the truth :rolleyes: ), between starting that post and posting it and now feel like a moron.

Oh sure, I could have just deleted it...but where would be the fun in that? :hmm:

Uttar
03-14-03, 12:28 PM
I sincerly don't think nVidia's marketing departement is one-sided.

When you do something that pleases them, they actually thank you for it. Really.

But if you do something that they don't like at all, you can be sure they're not going to return of your e-mails anytime soon :(

They just do what's in their best interests. They're nice guys, IMO. But they do their job.

Uttar

Solomon
03-14-03, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
I sincerly don't think nVidia's marketing departement is one-sided.

When you do something that pleases them, they actually thank you for it. Really.

But if you do something that they don't like at all, you can be sure they're not going to return of your e-mails anytime soon :(

They just do what's in their best interests. They're nice guys, IMO. But they do their job.

Uttar

With my dealings with them, they are surely one sided. They only want what they want, you're right about that. Then when you do what they want they still wouldn't answer questions, etc... So I gave all hope for Nvidia's PR brigade. This isn't on a personal level either Uttar. I just think if they want their backs scratched they should show the same courtesy. This one way street is BS. As some of you are aware, I post what I want to post on my site. I usually will post stuff other sites won't dare to post so they don't rattle the cage.

There was a time with the leak drivers and Zoiah. I leaked a driver and then Nvidia said, "Where did you get that driver from".. I'm like.. "Uh... If I tell ya what's going to happen?"... Then that Diane "pumpkin" girl said, "Well if you scratch our back will scratch yours"... Then I'm like... Pffffffft. Whatever! I said, Some dude on a IRC channel I can't remember hooked me... LOL!

As for me personally, I'm not in this business to get free hardware. As much as a variety of the sites out there who claim that's not true, is total BS my friend. Why I do it is to shed light on issues that I think one or two of the people out there want to here.

But what do I know, I'm just a trouble maker! Hehehehe. ;)

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

euan
03-14-03, 01:02 PM

From what I learn. They want only what they want, ATi or Nvidia. You post something that they don't like, they will tell you to take it down or whatever. But when you email them asking for information, etc... They never return the emails. Kinda one sided eh?

Cool!, Apart from leaked drivers and MMC, got any dirty washing to spill? ;)

digitalwanderer
03-14-03, 01:21 PM
But what do I know, I'm just a trouble maker! Hehehehe. ;)

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

Do me a favor? STAY THAT WAY! :)

The world needs a whole lot more 'trouble makers' like you. :D

emailthatguy
03-14-03, 01:33 PM
so let me get this straight. the one site thats been here forever, dedicated to giving its readers nvidia news is getting the shaft from nvidia for asking questions?

if this is true, nvidia has some major explaining to do. if they take a dump on us. theyll find us turning into the most rabid and angry users theyve ever seen.

ive put up w/ so much crap trying to get my fx. ive hung in there, knowing flat out its slower. ive hung in there for them and have continued to.

ill give them till the end of the day to sort this out w/ you guys or im flat out cancelling my order tonight and getting an ati.

i encourage everyone to do the same....

IF THATS THE CASE. if im misunderstanding something please lemme know and ill call off my angry user mode =p.

but if this is whats really going down. i encourage everyone to do the same. if they cant support us, the REAL nvidia fans that have stuck in and supported them through thick and thin then i say screw them and the horse they rode in on.

muzz
03-14-03, 01:46 PM
Now that^^^^^^^ is a riled-up wiseas$......:D

emailthatguy
03-14-03, 01:47 PM
am i minunderstanding this muzz? is nvidia giving nvnews the shaft?

muzz
03-14-03, 01:50 PM
I dunno bruh....... maybe you should PM mike or someone like that....

emailthatguy
03-14-03, 01:51 PM
i hope someone will reply to this thread and clear this up. if they cant care about us. who exactly do they care about?

digitalwanderer
03-14-03, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by emailthatguy
i hope someone will reply to this thread and clear this up. if they cant care about us. who exactly do they care about?

nVidia. Don't it give you a fuzzy-warm feeling all over? ;)

emailthatguy
03-14-03, 02:17 PM
digital:

you been here longer than most guys. wtf is your take on whats going on here?

Typedef Enum
03-14-03, 02:38 PM
I'll give you my opinion...take it for what it's worth.

Consumers, ultimately, have the potential to make these guys listen...It only makes sense, no? I mean, if everybody stops buying their products, they will take notice...and if they've got any clue, they will strongly consider making the necessary changes to get back on track.

I wouldn't mind seeing nVidia "suffer" for a while...until they get back to doing what they used to do best...innovate, design, execute, etc.

I will be purchasing a 9800 Pro as soon as it becomes available. I'm not doing it just to make a point; rather, it simply will be the best thing going, bar none. In addition, I hope my small contribution towards ATI (and hence, one less sale for nVidia) will make a difference.

Anyhow, you can decide what you want to do...I'm just tellin' ya that nVidia has been serious but-heads for the last year...for all intents and purposes, they were the single reason why I felt compelled to slowly withdraw from contributing to this website. I just couldn't stand the slothyness that they were pulling.

digitalwanderer
03-14-03, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by emailthatguy
digital:

you been here longer than most guys. wtf is your take on whats going on here?

Truly? I think I'm glad I don't work here right now! :p

Seriously, it wouldn't be a fun spot to be in. As bad as I think nVidia is, I'm pretty sure the actual people who deal with the staff here are pretty cool people who don't actually have full control over what they do/say since they are actually employees. But I wouldn't doubt for a second that some of the staff here and some nVidia employees are actually friends from years of corresponding and such and it would be a DAMNED akward position to be in right now!

I think the folks around here are between a rock and a hard-place right now, and somehow they're managing to keep their heads above water and not lose their integrity. (Yeah, I know...mixed metaphor. Blame it on Friday. :rolleyes: )

I'm sure nVidia is pressuring, but I'm also sure that nVnews is standing up well to the pressure and sticking to their principles.

It's an nVidia fansite, it's GOING to have an nVidia bias...but that doesn't mean they're blind to reality either.

I like this place, it has too many knowledgable and creative people to hold their nVidia bias against 'em. ;)

(OT but...How come I'm always labelled as an ATI fanboy? I still game only on me GF3? :p )

Unit01
03-14-03, 03:22 PM
I have no idea

Edit: BTW typedef enum
Have you received any reply since your last e-mail?
Anyone think they will start to talk to the community once nv35 arrive?

muzz
03-14-03, 03:34 PM
I would think if it turns out good they will talk to anyone that'll listen.
I would bet they know whats going on in here and other forums.

I hope the NV35 Rox TBO... competition is needed to foster growth.