PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 8800 GTX - Pixel and Polygon Artifacts - Too Hot??

MSUdom6
02-24-07, 02:12 PM
just got an XFX GeForce 8800 GTX earlier this week. It was one component of many I bought from newegg to build a new system. I put everything together, and it worked perfectly. I was playing games at maxed out settings. Beautiful!

This afternoon, I was playing Supreme Commander, and noticed some red pixel artifacts. At first I thought it was something in the game, but several minutes later, some polygon artifacts started showing up. This got worse over the next couple of minutes, until finally Supreme Commander crashed. Windows Vista reported an unknown error.

I restarted, and tried running 3DMark06. Upon boot, when I got the part of the Vista startup when the screen is completley black, I see diagonal blocks of red pixels. They're small, and I can only see them on a black background. I started 3DMark, and it looked horrible. Many polygon artifacts everywhere.

I figured maybe it overheated, which seemed unlikely since I have several fans. I'm using a Cooler Master case which usually stay cool. I have a 620W power supply, so that can't be the problem. I'm not overclocking anything; all settings are as they were out of the box.

I tried reseating the card (knowing it probably wouldn't help), and still, same problems. I checked the temp. using nTune, and got 61 degrees idle, and a peak of 82 degrees while playing Supreme Commander at max settings. Is this too hot?

Has anyone seen this before or heard of such a problem? Could someone confirm that it's the card's fault? I was so excited about my new kickarse system. This really has got me down... If anyone could point me to other threads or official published links related to this problem, I'd appreciate it. I want as much information as possible before I RMA the card.

System Specs:

Asus P5B Deluxe
Core 2 Duo 6600
2GB DDR2
GeForce 8800 GTX
Corsair 620W PSU (SLI Ready)

Thanks for your help!

SH64
02-24-07, 02:40 PM
Hmm do you get artifacts in other games ?

if yes then it sounds your card is dying IMO ..

MSUdom6
02-24-07, 03:04 PM
Yes, all games and programs that use graphics accelleration. I'm even seeing pixel artifacts in regular windows programs. For instance, when using IE to browse the web, I see lines of green pixels... :(

SH64
02-24-07, 03:07 PM
Yes, all games and programs that use graphics accelleration. I'm even seeing pixel artifacts in regular windows programs. For instance, when using IE to browse the web, I see lines of green pixels... :(
RMA time i say :|

you may wait for others to comment though. maybe someone else has different opinion.

MSUdom6
02-24-07, 03:58 PM
RMA time i say :|

you may wait for others to comment though. maybe someone else has different opinion.

Ok, thanks!

ATOJAR
02-24-07, 04:43 PM
I know a GTX will probably run hotter than a GTS but i have my card overclocked(see my sig) and after playing BF2142 at 1920x1200 with AA 8x and all other setting maxed, while in game i minimize and check the cards temp.... it never rises above 65c and thats after playing for around 2 hours!

As i said im not sure about the GTX but 82c seems alittle to warm for my liking!

spajdr
02-24-07, 05:55 PM

Tell me your PCIE/SATA voltage what you have set in BIOS. Set it to 1.6V if you dont have it already.
Try also not use PCIEx power connectors, directly from PSU but try to use two power PCIEx connectors over molex reduction if you have it.
82C is nothing big for GTX card.

MSUdom6
02-25-07, 12:53 PM
Tried these things, but still had the same problems. Could this possibly be anything other than the graphics card? Could it be the motherboard?

Thanks

spajdr
02-25-07, 03:59 PM
same thing happens if you underclock gfx card? to lets say 400/1000

MSUdom6
02-25-07, 04:55 PM
I just packed it up to RMA it. If I have the same problem with the replacement card (and I'll cry if do), I'll try underclocking it. Thanks for the good advice.

It's just strange to me that it worked perfectly for a few days, and the problem suddenly appeared. I didn't make any other changes to my system, hardware or software. I'll send a follow-up once I get the replacement card.

If anyone else has input, I'd really appreciate it.

XFX Support
02-26-07, 10:34 AM
Its more then likely a video card problem. You can try using only one stick of RAM at a time if you have two or more just to ensure that is not a problem. Also if its an overclocked 8800 then try using Ntune and slow it down by about 5-10mhz at a time and see if it helps. If so then you can bet its the video card. Either way keep us posted.

XFX Support

MSUdom6
03-09-07, 04:38 PM
Update: Just got my replacement card from newegg and everything works great! Hopefully it will continue to work. Recall that the first card worked for 3 days, then died. The temperatures are higher for the replacement card: 79C idle, 88C under load. I submitted a ticket to XFX, and they said that these temperatures were in the normal range.

So, if anyone else is having the problem in my original post, it is a hardware problem, and not software. Replacing the card will most likely fix it.

ATOJAR
03-09-07, 06:04 PM
79C idle, 88C under load.

Man i dont care what XFX says, i wouldent like to think my card ran that hot!.... i have my GTS overclocked to 600/900 and it sits at 51c idle and around 65c under load!

WeReWoLf
03-09-07, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=MSUdom6]79C idle, 88C under load.QUOTE]

Mine sits at 78c Idle, up to 85c under load. I'm not too concerned though mainly coz it's Summer here atm.

Cyant
03-09-07, 11:25 PM
I added a slot Fan like this one just below my card and the temp dropped by a LOT. I had temps similar to you. (84C in Vanguard) now i run at 73C Max load 59C Idle. http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14433&vpn=CYCLONE%20BLOWER&manufacture=ANTEC

SLippe
03-10-07, 12:24 AM
I added a slot Fan like this one just below my card and the temp dropped by a LOT. I had temps similar to you. (84C in Vanguard) now i run at 73C Max load 59C Idle. http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14433&vpn=CYCLONE%20BLOWER&manufacture=ANTEC
That blower won't last long. They're junk. What I would suggest is removing all extra fill caps from the back, the little brackets that fill in the empty slots, and put a fan or two at the front of your case so it/they can blow straight out the back, which will take the heat of the card with it. I attached a 92mm fan to the side of my HDD bay area at the very bottom and did the above. Works great. I'll post a pic later so you can see what I mean.

kevJ420
03-11-07, 06:48 PM
Tell me your PCIE/SATA voltage what you have set in BIOS. Set it to 1.6V if you dont have it already.
Try also not use PCIEx power connectors, directly from PSU but try to use two power PCIEx connectors over molex reduction if you have it.
82C is nothing big for GTX card.

I was wondering what is molex reduction?
How come that would work better than 2 pci-e connectors straight from the psu?