PDA

View Full Version : A question about SLI

DiscipleDOC
02-24-07, 03:37 PM
I already have a PNY 8800 GTS....If I was to get a eVGA 8800 GTS (the 640mb one), would I still be able to run SLI?

SlieTheSecond
02-24-07, 04:51 PM
Good question. If you can, how far can you mix and match with current Sli.

Ie: would a 320 mb with a 640 mb bfg 8800 gts?

Xion X2
02-24-07, 05:00 PM
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't believe the 320MB model would pair up w/ the 640MB model. Different memory bandwidth.

RussianHAXOR
02-24-07, 05:02 PM
As long as both of the videocards have the same amount of mem they are Sli-able. Its part of the workability of Sli cross-vendor support! Its great to see you're buying a fine evga product. There should be NO PROBLEM with running two different cards. I would suggest getting an EVGA with a similar clock speed as your PNY or overclock your PNY to the evga so that there isnt any bumping down of clocks.

DiscipleDOC
02-24-07, 05:55 PM
As long as both of the videocards have the same amount of mem they are Sli-able. Its part of the workability of Sli cross-vendor support! Its great to see you're buying a fine evga product. There should be NO PROBLEM with running two different cards. I would suggest getting an EVGA with a similar clock speed as your PNY or overclock your PNY to the evga so that there isnt any bumping down of clocks.
I think I will clock the ony to the eVGA....if I'm not mistaken, I think the eVGA is clocked a little higher....

Rytr
02-24-07, 06:08 PM
You might be fortunate in that the lesser clocked card will run stable with the higher clocked one at the higher clocks. Not a given, as we know that overclocking is not an exact science but nonetheless there is a probability of success. It happened for me with the 6800 GS. A plain vanilla GS was able to run at the same clocks stable as its companion XFX factory overclocked card in SLI.

RussianHAXOR
02-24-07, 06:36 PM
I think I will clock the ony to the eVGA....if I'm not mistaken, I think the eVGA is clocked a little higher....

yeah i think the evga one was the higherclocked one, that way you dont waste money. :D

rewt
02-24-07, 06:54 PM
As long as both of the videocards have the same amount of mem they are Sli-able.

Really? Has something changed? NVIDIA's own nzone.com stated a while back that you could use two cards in SLI even if they had different amount of memory by using a coolbits tweak.

Granted, even if that works, you would still only have as much graphics memory as the lesser card. The extra memory on one card would be wasted.