PDA

View Full Version : Killer NIC, 10+% improvement in internet games

nekrosoft13
02-24-07, 07:56 PM
below is scaned page from PC Gamer.

its about 1.2MB so be patient

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7771/scanimage001sa7.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scanimage001sa7.jpg)

WeReWoLf
02-24-07, 08:08 PM
Holy S**t, i gotta get me one of these bad boys

jAkUp
02-24-07, 08:10 PM
Yup, unfortunately, I no longer have any available PCI slots though. Talking to the Bigfoot guys, I am unsure if they have plans for a PCIe version soon...

tacos4me
02-24-07, 08:17 PM
I'd like to know what their definition of a high spec PC is. :rolleyes:

CaptNKILL
02-24-07, 08:18 PM
Interesting.

Its too bad we're physically running out of space for things like this in our computers because the graphics cards are getting so big.

I remember back in the day when it wasn't unreasonable for a system to have 6 or 7+ PCI, ISA and AGP devices in it... now SLI users are barely squeezing in 3.

CaptNKILL
02-24-07, 08:20 PM
I'd like to know what their definition of a high spec PC is. :rolleyes:
I'm curious here too.

It seems like any dual core CPU would be able to handle a network load pretty well.

Buenamos
02-24-07, 08:22 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833342001

Yeah, screw that.

nekrosoft13
02-24-07, 08:23 PM
I'm curious here too.

It seems like any dual core CPU would be able to handle a network load pretty well.

if you have gigabit network, do some test at home. send files from one PC to another on the network, and wise versa, ad watch the CPU usage

jAkUp
02-24-07, 08:24 PM
I'm curious here too.

Hmmm, does anyone know if in single threaded games if the network processing is done on the secondary core?

nekrosoft13
02-24-07, 08:28 PM
no clue, thats all dependant on OS

Banko
02-24-07, 08:38 PM
This is retarded it is not necessarily the NIC that is doing it. As long as it is a hardware NIC (which I'm sure sell for cheaper then this) you should get a FPS boost.

Bearclaw
02-24-07, 08:39 PM
So do you just plug your ethernet cord into this and use this for your internet as well?

CaptNKILL
02-24-07, 08:45 PM
This is retarded it is not necessarily the NIC that is doing it. As long as it is a hardware NIC (which I'm sure sell for cheaper then this) you should get a FPS boost.
Yep, I think you're right, check the 3rd review down on this page:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16833106123

A $30 intel NIC supposedly performs better than the $250 Killer NIC.

nopp0x00
02-24-07, 08:51 PM
This **** has been shown to be whack repeatedly by people. Even Hardocp claims that the effects aren't significant and it all comes down to a matter of taste. In other words, it's more useless than a ****ing PhysX card.

WeReWoLf
02-24-07, 09:42 PM
1 major upside i see about it is though, it's running it's own optimised version of linux, so it's like having a linux firewall on your network anyways.

rudedog
02-24-07, 09:51 PM
I've been saying this from the beginning. No one has ever tested a killer nic against a standards 25$ PCI 100/1000 nic.

That's like testing your on board sound against a creative xfi.

And for the linux firewall, most likely the router your using has a firewall in and it's probably Linux based.

|JuiceZ|
02-24-07, 10:21 PM
Read about this card a few months ago in Maximum PC. I'm sorry but $250+ for some ub3r network card is a joke. It better double my network speed for that kind of money. Has the enthusiast market really come to this point? $250 can be much better spent on other pc components that will net a lot more than %10 or so performance increase.

Edge
02-24-07, 11:37 PM
When I first heard about this, I thought it sounded a little suspicious. I'm sure it has a place in the high end market, but really, $250 is a lot to spend on a network card...that's usually the price difference between a 2ghz CPU and a 2.2ghz CPU (which would give you the 10% performance boost in -everything-).

I think that based on the reports of this being comparable to standard, much less expensive PCI network cards, a hardware review site (maybe even nvnews? Unless there's already one that I'm not aware of) should do a somewhat more comprehensive review of network cards, and see how the KillerNIC stacks up. Onboard vs. various standard NICs vs. the Killer NIC. It could be interesting to see the results.

Also I'm curious as to how they benchmarked these games...how do you replicate the exact same situation and data transfer in an online game played with other people? The reviewer states that he put the Killer NIC into an "identical" PCs...but did he actually have them both connected to the same servers and play the game the same way with them? The only reliable testing I could see doing with this is putting the game into spectate mode and having them both follow the same view simultaniously.

For that matter, he never points out what the computer specs are either...are we talking about a single-core or dual-core system here?

Eliminator
02-24-07, 11:58 PM
if you have gigabit network, do some test at home. send files from one PC to another on the network, and wise versa, ad watch the CPU usage
yup but this is for gaming which hardly uses any bandwidth at all... i would figure with a powerful cpu you would not notice any difference by using this card

grey_1
02-25-07, 05:14 AM
For $250 the gains needs to be substantial and repeatable by anyone with a reasonably modern rig.

I'd rather put the cash towards a new gfx card or something.

hirantha
02-25-07, 08:01 AM
Yeah performance doesn't justify the Price.. Better spend that amount of money somewhere else.

Rakeesh
02-25-07, 09:05 AM
This thing has been on the market for a while. I predicted long before its release that it would sell like crap. I am curious as to how well my prediction has held out so far.

Read the customer reviews for this thing on newegg. It's kind of funny the way the manufacturer responds to each terrible review that people give it.

evilghost
02-25-07, 09:27 AM
This card is snake-oil of the finest quality. You want a nice card? Get a 3COM 3C905C or 3C905B, something that supports full duplex parallel-tasking.

It's amazing what people will believe.