PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard problem

itsdecks
02-25-07, 01:29 AM
ok heres the deal, i have an HP computer, fairly new... few years old maybe so its not that new, but it has a D: drive that holds windows i guess, if theres a problem and u need to reformat or reset the computer to factory specs, it does it through the D: drive.. im not sure how to explain it but im sure you get the picture, anyways, the my grandpa dropped the computer moving it from 1 room to another and now the cd roms dont seem to work... so what i did is took em out and put them both in my comp, and they both work fine, i also took my cd rom that i know that works and put it in his comp, i found that it didnt work in his, so ive come to the conclusion that its a mobo problem, the computer seems to work fine accept for that problem, it wont pick up the cd rom drives ( E: and F: )

so my question is: if i buy a new mobo for the computer, same proccessor same ram, everything the same accept the mobo, will i be able to use that D drive to re install windows to have a working computer?? or is it a different problem :o pls get back to me asap!

spaceigg
02-25-07, 09:46 AM
I am no expert, but since you needed some help. well here:beer3:

I am not sure that there is mobo problem or not, I honestly did not understand
you very well. but to answer your question, your copy of windows on the D: drive will work but it will ask you to validate it again... because it sees it as new computer I guess, since you've installed a new mobo, unless I suppose you install the exact same kind of mobo. now if you have a genuine copy of windows or a copy of linux yes you could install it on the D: drive (which D: isreally thehard drive, it may not have the same letter after putting the pc together)

itsdecks
02-25-07, 11:40 AM
ok lets see. the computer runs windows off the C: drive like normal ok. but if you need to reformat or reset the comp to factory specs, there is no windows disk that came with the computer, only the D: drive which your sposed to use to re install windows. its kinda weird, but lemme know if that helped

Zelda_fan
02-25-07, 02:05 PM
make sure everything (power cords, IDE cables, SATA cables) is plugged in correctly. A lot of times when you drop a computer things shake loose.

I highly doubt it is a motherboard problem. If you dropped your computer hard enough to bust your motherboard, you'd have a lot more problems than a CD-ROM drive.

itsdecks
02-25-07, 05:14 PM
what could it be because i checked all the connections very well, i even took the suspicious cd roms and put them in a computer i know is in perfect working condition and they both worked fine, i also put a CD rom that i know worked from My computer into the computer that was dropped, and it didnt work, the drive doesnt even show up in the My Computer window.. there should be an E: and F: drive, but there is none. what else could it be if its not the mobo or cd roms themselves?

hokeyplyr48
02-25-07, 05:17 PM
have u added any new hardware lately? there could be a drive letter conflict.
check if its in "disk management"

Zelda_fan
02-25-07, 05:23 PM
Do you know what model the motherboard is?

itsdecks
02-25-07, 05:32 PM
no theres been no new hardware... the comp was fine and running untill it was dropped, he was just moving it from 1 room to another..

yea its a:

P5LP-LE

i belive its ASUS.. it doesnt say on the board itself but thats the model number.

CaptNKILL
02-25-07, 05:43 PM
Try different IDE cables. Its possible that the wires or the connectors got borked from the jolt.

itsdecks
02-25-07, 06:10 PM
ill try that.. but if that doesnt work, is the mobo the only thing left that could be wrong??

SlieTheSecond
02-25-07, 06:24 PM
Did you check to see if they showed up in the bios?

Could try reseting the bios. Doubt it will help tho. But you never know.
Make sure you know how to set it up first tho.

CaptNKILL
02-25-07, 06:50 PM
ill try that.. but if that doesnt work, is the mobo the only thing left that could be wrong??
Try different PSU connectors too. Its possible that the wires got tugged on and broke.

If that doesnt do it, try a different PSU if you have one.

If THAT still doesnt help, take the motherboard and drives out of the case and run it on a table or the floor. Something on the motherboard backplate could have bent and could be contacting the back of the board near the IDE ports.

If its still no good, then yes, the motherboard needs replaced.

spaceigg
02-25-07, 07:07 PM
yes i doubt it is the mobo too...
I would do what they say about the bios, the bios should show you the drives, and if they are actually present but not in windows, you can try clearing cmos or clearing esd data (I think that's how its called)

and the other thing of checking the ide cables and power plugs... are the same ide cables connected to the hard drive? if they are just make sure they are in correctly if not try using the ones from the hard disk, I hope I am not just confusing you instead of helping... but man I just wouldnt spend $$ on a new mobo when you are not 100% sure that is broken.:(

itsdecks
02-26-07, 01:26 AM
i will try all of your suggestions before i buy a mobo, ill get back to u guys !! thnx for the help