PDA

View Full Version : Newer Dets on older cards

Myrmecophagavir
03-14-03, 12:43 PM
Thanks to HardOCP's recent article we know what the Performance slider does in recent Detonator settings. But what does this do in older cards? If I set my GF2 GTS to Balanced I get the same 3DMark2001 score as I did with previous drivers like 30.82. But if I change it to Application I lose a considerable number of marks - about 3200 instead of 4000.

But since this slider wasn't available in older drivers, I assumed it was equivalent to being set to Application, which does proper trilinear filtering. So how come I lose hundreds of marks by using Application now and can only retain my old score by running on Balanced?

StealthHawk
03-14-03, 07:59 PM
you can see some effects on Application/Balanced/Aggressive on gf3 and gf4 cards in this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7245

Myrmecophagavir
03-15-03, 05:50 PM
So previous drivers work similar to Balanced mode? That doesn't make sense considering HardOCP's analysis - does that mean they've never been doing proper trilinear filtering?

StealthHawk
03-15-03, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Myrmecophagavir
So previous drivers work similar to Balanced mode? That doesn't make sense considering HardOCP's analysis - does that mean they've never been doing proper trilinear filtering?

yes, previous drivers worked similar to balanced mode.

yes, previous and current drivers do proper trilinear filtering if you do not use NV3x cards. just look at the screenshots in the thread i posted.

yes, it does make sense. Application/Balanced/Aggressive only changes the level of filtering on NV3x cards. it works totally differently on gf3/4 cards. you can see from the screenshots and benchmark numbers how Application/Balanced/Aggressive effect IQ and benchmark numbers on gf3/4 cards.

as you can see Aggressive gains almost nothing over Balanced on a gf3/gf4. this is in stark contrast as to what's happening on NV31/34.

Myrmecophagavir
03-19-03, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the info. How confusing of Nvidia to do totally different things with the same option name on different cards!