PDA

View Full Version : will hard drives in raid show up in the bios as one drive?

hokeyplyr48
02-25-07, 08:01 AM
I'm looking to buy to wd raptors and put them in raid 0. Then transfer my current vista image to these raptors. If i do this, within the bios will it show up as one drive that i can boot from? or will it show both of them and i have to choose between the two? never done raid before, so i wanted to know before i drop 300 bucks...

thanks!

nmdelrio
02-25-07, 02:13 PM
After creating your RAID array in BIOS, the arrayed drives will show as 1 drive.

Well, it's just like when installing Windows XP (or any other OS) on a completely new empty PC with RAID arrays, the RAID drives will show as 1 drive.

hokeyplyr48
02-25-07, 02:15 PM
awesome thanks!
is the evga 680i board good with RAID? or are some boards better than others?
any reccomendations? (SLI support necessary) i know the badaxe2 is crossfire only

hokeyplyr48
02-25-07, 10:17 PM
if you setup a raid array (2 raptors per say) can you copy a current disk image to them? because i want to transfer my vista drive to the raid array. or can you not do this because of all the striping and stuff? so would i have to reinstall?

einstein_314
02-26-07, 03:44 PM
if you setup a raid array (2 raptors per say) can you copy a current disk image to them? because i want to transfer my vista drive to the raid array. or can you not do this because of all the striping and stuff? so would i have to reinstall?
Hmmmm...you may run into problems with drivers. Depending on whether Vista has the drivers for the RAID controller installed or not...

I think that as long as you do the RAID on the nVidia controller you will be fine....I know that Vista has the drivers for that built in...

And worse case scenario is that you have to reinstall....I say it's worth a shot :thumbsup: