PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic foam for silencing a PC

Rakeesh
02-25-07, 10:33 AM
My PC is sitting inside of a cabinet that has ventilation holes, and I am thinking about buying some acoustic foam to line the inside of it to further eliminate noise. I can get some at the local music store for like $1.50 per square foot, and I would only need about 10 square feet to do this.

Has anybody ever tried this before?

shaker718
02-25-07, 11:03 AM
You might want to visit http://Silentpcreview.com. Those guys have tried everything in the book to make PC's as silent as possible.

grey_1
02-25-07, 11:42 AM
I use paxmate to cover the large areas. It's not totally silent as I left a couple 120m holes open for cooling, but the difference is noticable.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akpanorekit.html

XDanger
02-25-07, 02:40 PM
Surely theres something cheaper, Its just foam !
Its like a thick packing material no?

Zelda_fan
02-25-07, 03:17 PM
My PC is sitting inside of a cabinet that has ventilation holes, and I am thinking about buying some acoustic foam to line the inside of it to further eliminate noise. I can get some at the local music store for like $1.50 per square foot, and I would only need about 10 square feet to do this.

Has anybody ever tried this before?

I've actually done a decent bit of research in learning to silence a PC.

There are three things you basically need for a silent PC:

-Silent Hard Drive (I recommend the Samsung Spinpoint T series. Simply the quietest drive made apart from solid state HDs). As far as an optical drive I recommend ASUS Quiet Track series of drives.

-Silent cooling. I've opted for silent watercooling in my system, but you can get some extremely silent fans as well. Even with watercooling, I have one or two 120mm fans moving air in my case. Noctua and Nexus make the quietest 120mm fans.

-Silent PSU. One word. Corsair. They make the best silent PSUs bar none. I personally run a Corsair 620HX. Corsair PSUs are actually made by seasonic (which makes the second best PSUs in my opinion), but only Corsair has them made to higher specs so they are better overall PSUs.

lightman
02-25-07, 03:40 PM
Surely theres something cheaper, Its just foam !
Its like a thick packing material no?

No. Acoustic foam is specifically designed to absorb noise. That said, usually the so-called "acoustic foam" sold for PCs is just some normal foam, and not real acoustic one like the one you use in recording studios (where, by the way, there is not only the foam, but usually rigid fiberglass, diffuser panels, etc)...

Clay
02-25-07, 04:18 PM
Depending on the materials used, keep in mind that it might cause your case temps to rise.

ynnek
02-25-07, 09:50 PM
Moving the computer away and out of the room, preferably behind a wall, silences things up really well, relative to your "computing position". You just need cables. :)

Rakeesh
02-25-07, 10:54 PM
Well, I am planning on using studio'ish materials to surround but not encase the computer, so there will not be any temperature issue. Surrounding is all that is necessary since the sound has nowhere to deflect from.

Rakeesh
02-25-07, 10:57 PM
I've actually done a decent bit of research in learning to silence a PC.

There are three things you basically need for a silent PC:

-Silent Hard Drive (I recommend the Samsung Spinpoint T series. Simply the quietest drive made apart from solid state HDs). As far as an optical drive I recommend ASUS Quiet Track series of drives.

-Silent cooling. I've opted for silent watercooling in my system, but you can get some extremely silent fans as well. Even with watercooling, I have one or two 120mm fans moving air in my case. Noctua and Nexus make the quietest 120mm fans.

-Silent PSU. One word. Corsair. They make the best silent PSUs bar none. I personally run a Corsair 620HX. Corsair PSUs are actually made by seasonic (which makes the second best PSUs in my opinion), but only Corsair has them made to higher specs so they are better overall PSUs.

Well, I don't really need to go that far (plus doing this is beyond my price range.) It is already about at the noise level I want, in fact my tivo makes more noise than my PC does now. But my main concern is that during the summer the fans are going to get kicked into full gear which is where the noise will begin to come into play. I am thinking that quiet fans combined with acoustic material will solve my issues.

buffbiff21
02-25-07, 11:05 PM
Noctua and Nexus make the quietest 120mm fans.

Add Yate Loon to that list.

DS12SL are the most quiet fans I have EVER heard. Add a fan controller to the equation and youve got reasonable airflow with sub zero noise. :)

As far as the case padding goes, I would not want that Akasa crap in my case because it has a big brand name stickey on it. You could just buy a bunch of thin black rubber gasket and velcro it to the walls of your case?

XDanger
03-03-07, 10:33 AM
Since I started using a p180 case my computer is so quiet I can hear the voices in my head again.

Pain is the cleanser.