PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Commander CTDs

ArrowMk84
02-25-07, 03:36 PM
Is anyone here experiencing CTDs in Supreme Commander? I am, and they appear to be related to the number of units on the screen. It looks like a lot of others are as well, if the GPG forums are anything to go by.

LycosV
02-25-07, 05:16 PM
I have them sometimes when playing multiplayer but I haven't been paying enough attention to know any correlation.

Dr@Home
02-26-07, 12:11 AM
CTD = crash to desktop? I have yet to get a crash from the demo or retail game.

My brother's Core2Duo rig crashed out of a lan game today though, and usually has some stuttering (likely from loading when rotating the view).
It happened right when a big attack was just starting, as all the gunships open fire.
My game locks up for like 5 seconds (i'm host, if that matters) then resumes with a slaughter going on, and his game crashes. :( :(

nekrosoft13
02-26-07, 12:22 AM
if you mean crash to desktop

i haven't had a single one in Beta, Demo or Final Retail

ArrowMk84
02-26-07, 09:38 AM
Yes, I mean crash to desktop. Mine happened in a 8 player skirmish, and the bots and I had a whole load of units on the screen. I can load from a save and play past the point were the game crashed, only to have it crash again a few minutes later. But I haven't seen any crashes on in the Campaign, but I'm not that far into it.

The crash behavior really reminds me of what I went experience with TA on my old machines. Gotta be a mem leak or the like.

Lfctony
02-26-07, 10:00 AM
There's a fix in the GPG forums. The game just runs out of memory.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=267

It modifies the game exe, allowing more than 2GB of ram to be used, thus eliminating the crashes. Anyone with up to 2FB of ram will just be using the swap file. Extra modifications are required for non-64bit systems as they don't address more than 2GB by default. I only had to modify the exe myself. Others might have to do more.

ArrowMk84
02-26-07, 11:14 AM
There's a fix in the GPG forums. The game just runs out of memory.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=267

It modifies the game exe, allowing more than 2GB of ram to be used, thus eliminating the crashes. Anyone with up to 2FB of ram will just be using the swap file. Extra modifications are required for non-64bit systems as they don't address more than 2GB by default. I only had to modify the exe myself. Others might have to do more.

Sweet! I missed this when I went looking for information on the crash. And I'm going to 4GB of Ram tomorrow, so I'll be abuse in a real-world application!

fugu_fish
02-27-07, 09:14 AM
if you mean crash to desktop

i haven't had a single one in Beta, Demo or Final Retail

Me either and I've finished all 3 campaigns and have been playing a lot of multiplayer.

ArrowMk84
02-27-07, 09:37 AM
The above fix appears to fixed my issue. I started a big ol' Skirmish battle last night, and played for almost two hours without issue.

Dazz
02-27-07, 09:51 AM
I get CTD but only when i had the processor overclocked or memory timings too tight nothing to do with the game really. But chances are it's the overclocked equipment you are using.

Namrok
02-27-07, 10:00 AM
I had my game just freeze up once. It didn't lock up. I could still bring up the menu, and scroll around the map. But everything stopped moving. Missiles and artillery shells were frozen in mid air. I figured "Oops, I must have accidentally paused it", found the pause button, hit it, nothing changed. Later when I was just dicking around I discovered that you can't miss it when you do pause since a window pops up.

A restart fixed it up, and it's only ever happened once, but wow was that odd.

Dazz
02-27-07, 10:36 AM
Are you sure you did get the game speed to -10 or something.