PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to clean a GPU?

Iron1384
03-14-03, 03:13 PM
I bought a ThermalTake G4-VGA Copper Cooler to replace the dead HSF on my GeForce4 Ti4400. After I pry the old Heatsink from the GPU, what's a good, non-damaging way to remove the leftover thermal interface material?

ricercar
03-14-03, 03:32 PM
Goo Gone is what I use. It's a commercial product for removing that crap that's left when you peel off a sticker. Works like a champ for thermal pads that won't let go.

When I noticed that Goo Gone had a citrus content, I tried lemon juice. That works amazingly well, too.

saturnotaku
03-14-03, 03:36 PM
When I use Goo Gone to get rid of most of the sticky junk, I also make sure to use 92% rubbing alcohol to clean off remnants of the Goo Gone. That method worked perfectly when I changed the GPU cooler of my GeForce3. :D

DaveW
03-14-03, 03:36 PM
If its the brittle stuff you can shave it with a razor blade or edge of a straight flat knife. Just to be save I would cover the surrounding board with a few layers of tough duct tape during the procedure, just incase your hand slips.

digitalwanderer
03-14-03, 03:37 PM
Any naptha based lighter fluid will usually make short work of it, it's what I always use. (Zippo lighter fluid is me prefered brand.)