PDA

View Full Version : What graphical effect would you like to see?

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
02-26-07, 12:28 AM
What would you like to see in future games? Graphically wise?

For me, I would really like to see water effects with physics applied to them, for example, like the cascades tech demo, or some of the Ageia demos that have been released... I have wanted to see that running in real time on a real game for a long time (lee63)

In addition to that, I would like to see some higher texture resolutions than we have now... Max Payne 2 had some incredible textures, but we haven't seem to progressed much past that, even with todays cards with over 512MB of texture data.

nekrosoft13
02-26-07, 12:39 AM
i would want totally destructive enviroments in all games

crainger
02-26-07, 12:43 AM
Realistic Fire!

jAkUp
02-26-07, 12:46 AM
Realistic Fire!

I saw a techdemo for Project Offset that had some incredible Fire effects running in real-time on the 8800GTX... wish I could dig that up somewhere...

Marvel_us
02-26-07, 12:50 AM
Real time ray tracing at a good frame rate.:)

crainger
02-26-07, 12:52 AM
Dig Dig!

Realistic Fire plus the Destructible environments Nekro mentioned would be amazing. Make some interesting levels. Maybe even a Lord of the Flies style finale.

SH64
02-26-07, 01:05 AM
- High Quality Realtime SoftShadows & Self SoftShadows for everything.
- RT Displacement Mapping
- RT Raytracing
- Light Subsurface Scattering
- Object-based Motion Blur

Redeemed
02-26-07, 02:07 AM
I think I'm happy with the graphics I've seen for the future titles. What'd I'd like to see more of a focus on is overall environment detail. Remember the Toy Shop tech demo for the X1800? Notice how the rain looked on the window? And how the bricks in the side of the building and sidewalk looked? I'd like to see more of that sort of detail in games. And significantly improved physics- and I mean significantly improved. Better AI would also be something I'd ask for.

Not completely graphics-related, but it's what I would want to see.

WeReWoLf
02-26-07, 02:18 AM
I would love to see full transperancy antialiasing, combined with slight distance blurring. Also more See through tops on women with large breasts, and more use of bump mapping on said women. More polygons spent creating them too.

SH64
02-26-07, 02:20 AM
I would love to see full transperancy antialiasing, combined with slight distance blurring. Also more See through tops on women with large breasts, and more use of bump mapping on said women. More polygons spent creating them too.
Bump-mapped cleavage :drooling:

WeReWoLf
02-26-07, 02:28 AM
My reaction exactly. But it should be a general rule for developers. If there is 50k polys for a face, 100k should be spent on making their tits, then making a decent see through top, and getting a hold of decent bump mapping software.

jAkUp
02-26-07, 02:41 AM
Real time Ray Tracing sure is impressive as a tech demo... but I really wonder how much it can add to the overall lighting in a game compared to the performance hit that it would likely create.

Really, except in extremely limited scenarios, or water refraction, I don't think that it would really be that much more impressive opposed to standard per-pixel lighting... except as I mentioned, in certain situations.

Also, are there any games that use subsurface scattering?

SH64
02-26-07, 02:49 AM
I think Crysis & Project Offset will be using it .. not sure about current games though.

Capt. Picard
02-26-07, 03:01 AM
Thinking back to Far Cry I want to repeat what Jakup said about water physics. I really would liked to have seen some surf, I mean like 6 foot waves, and maybe also some swell while riding in the speed boat. That can't be too difficult to program in, or is it.

jAkUp
02-26-07, 03:02 AM
Thinking back to Far Cry I want to repeat what Jakup said. I really would liked to have seen some surf, I mean like 6 foot waves, and maybe also some swell while riding in the speed boat. That can't be too difficult to program in, or is it.

For real-time waves in a small body of water, not too difficult; has been done in games like F.E.A.R.

However, for such a large body of water like an ocean, it is likely very difficult with today's technology.

For extremely lifelike water; like those done in the Ageia demos, I imagine it would be impossible with today's technology. (every water particle would need to be independent)

SH64
02-26-07, 03:07 AM
My reaction exactly. But it should be a general rule for developers. If there is 50k polys for a face, 100k should be spent on making their tits, then making a decent see through top, and getting a hold of decent bump mapping software.
Dream Stripper is a step into the right direction.
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1865/copyofdreamstripperprodyd0.jpg

jAkUp
02-26-07, 03:08 AM
Except in the case of Dream Stripper, it seems they spent more time and effort on her upper regions, rather than her face :o

WeReWoLf
02-26-07, 03:39 AM
Imagine if they combined the work of Adrianne Tech Demo with Dream Stripper...

CaptNKILL
02-26-07, 03:43 AM
I think just about everything is being taken care of with games like Crysis.

One thing that stands out to me though is that we need some kind of technology that "blends" edges of polygons or textures to get rid of all the sharp, hard lines we see in every game. Better use of art would help to alleviate this problem but someone somewhere should be able to program some shader to do it automatically where needed. :p

Xion X2
02-26-07, 03:52 AM
The most important thing to me right now is 3d-textures. I'm past sick of drawn-on textures on rocks and mountains. I want them completely 3D so that they're physically jutting out at you like rocks in real life tend to do. The same with sidewalks, roads, etc.

I'd also like better HDR effects. I don't think HDR has been taken real advantage of yet. Also, better water effects w/ better physics to make it more lifelike.

WeReWoLf
02-26-07, 03:54 AM
I think just about everything is being taken care of with games like Crysis.

One thing that stands out to me though is that we need some kind of technology that "blends" edges of polygons or textures to get rid of all the sharp, hard lines we see in every game. Better use of art would help to alleviate this problem but someone somewhere should be able to program some shader to do it automatically where needed. :p

Perhaps something like a very faint bloom effect with a small radius which makes the object seem smooth?

CaptNKILL
02-26-07, 04:01 AM
Perhaps something like a very faint bloom effect with a small radius which makes the object seem smooth?
Na I think it has to be a more complex effect.

I guess as more games start using dense grass like Crysis though, we probably won't see this problem as much.

I can't really find any screenshots to show exactly what I'm talking about, but its most common at (for example) the edge of a house where it meets the ground. The artists most likely don't have time to make dozens of different house textures that have dirt, gravel or grass creeping up at the bottom, so it almost always ends up having a hard, sharp edge where they meet.

If some effect could be applied to blend or smudge the edge a bit then it would make a scene look much more believable.

SH64
02-26-07, 04:04 AM
One thing that stands out to me though is that we need some kind of technology that "blends" edges of polygons or textures to get rid of all the sharp, hard lines we see in every game.
Dosen't Mega-Texturing technology supposed to do that at some degree ?

WeReWoLf
02-26-07, 04:13 AM
Watching through UT3 tech demos and things atm, and Virtual Displacement Mapping certainly catches my eye. I know it's been used before in games, but UT3 certainly looks the nicest.

jlippo
02-26-07, 05:35 AM
Watching through UT3 tech demos and things atm, and Virtual Displacement Mapping certainly catches my eye. I know it's been used before in games, but UT3 certainly looks the nicest.
UT3 seems to be using standard offset/parallax mapping so it really has been used in many games.
Too bad that it actually can make surface a lot worse than without it.

I wouldn't mind seeing proper pixelshader based displacement map effect in game, but it really would need to have next properties.
Self occlusion, multi-layer, no scaling or aliasing in steep angles and a proper silhuette.

Shadows with proper umbra/penumbra with no limitation on sharpness or blurryness and with no crawling or dithering artifacts.
I liked much more the look of old good object based shadows than the current one shadowmap for everything.

Good ambient/non-direct lighting which takes account a surface normals and also specular component.
Currently I would like just a high quality PRT method (lightmap?) for static stuff and perhaps fast hack for moving lights.
PRT non-direct effects on moving hero objects, including self-transfer.

High quality art direction and execution with proper balance of art and techniques in large scale.
Like in Final Fantasy XII, the game has some incredible looking ingame cinematics.