PDA

View Full Version : Dogfights

glennalan
02-26-07, 03:37 AM
I've been watching Dogfights on the History Channel and they say it is computer animation. The graphics look really good. The sky and the ocean, the Bismark ship and the planes really looked advanced. What kind of hardware do you think that is. Is something like that $100,000- $1000,000 hardware or what?

Capt. Picard
02-26-07, 04:01 AM
Good question. I've been wondering alot what kind of graphic design hardware, design studios use to create the special effects that we commonly see in big budget movies.

CaptNKILL
02-26-07, 04:06 AM
I think pretty much everything you see these days is developed with Maya or 3d Studio Max and then rendered frame by frame with bunch of rendering systems (or a render farm in the case of a big budget movie).

I don't think anything is ever done real time except for games... there really isnt any need for it.

Subtestube
02-26-07, 04:10 AM
I strongly doubt that 'hardware' rendering in the sense that you mean is being done - instead they'll be using a 'renderwall' or 'renderfarm', of a vast number of computers of varying speed, where a centralised server just sends them parts of the frames to render, offline. To cost that, you've got to figure out how many machines they're using (which could be any number, depending on the size of the studio), and what the spec of each machine is. As this is massively parallel, and as the task is also parallel, the machines don't need the same spec, so the costing of each machine also depends on how old it is.

To give you some idea, this article (just googled) claims that Weta has 2000 processors. Of course, I doubt those are all being used on one scene at one time, but you get the point. http://slashdot.org/articles/03/06/15/2119249.shtml

Edit: CaptNKILL beat me to it :P.

rudedog
02-26-07, 07:11 AM
Not sure of the hardware specs but they are using lightwave.

dandod
Ignore Member

Re: CGI Camera Shake
Posted: Dec 26, 2006 7:35 PM (6 of 10)

We don't use any flight sim for our CG, but a 3D program called LightWave 3D.

6th post down
http://boards.historychannel.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700006634&tstart=0&mod=1172462852021

nekrosoft13
02-26-07, 07:59 AM
in industry lightwave, softimage, maya and 3d max are probably the most used programs