PDA

View Full Version : Best PC brand for laptops?

Pages : [1] 2

Kain
03-14-03, 04:47 PM
Which is the best PC brand for laptops? Dell? Compaq?

The Baron
03-14-03, 04:55 PM
Well, whatcha looking for?

And anything with Centrino is probably fan-friggin-tastic.

UDawg
03-14-03, 04:55 PM
Open Forum --------------> General Hardware.

UDawg
03-14-03, 04:59 PM
Bahhhh

Baron beat me by 1-59 seconds.

The Baron
03-14-03, 05:48 PM
Snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshopper.

jAkUp
03-14-03, 06:03 PM
alienware.

Kain
03-15-03, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
alienware. Really?

I heard that their laptops aren't that good.

The Baron
03-15-03, 09:40 AM
Alienware makes laptops that use normal P4s (or at least they did) so their battery life is somewhere in the range of zero.

Seriously, though, get Centrino and you'll be fine.

Kain
03-15-03, 10:42 AM
Sorry, but what the heck in Centrino?

The Baron
03-15-03, 11:44 AM
Centrino--brand new Intel mobile "architecture" (Pentium Mobile, integrated wireless, 6 hour battery life).

Yes, 6 hour battery life. :D

FastM
03-15-03, 06:09 PM
Dell for their screen's, Toshiba for the high quality (extremly durable) plastic.

GlowStick
03-15-03, 06:34 PM
Dell with a Geforce 4 GO....

and with Centro it is pritty cool those Pentium-M's are very nice on power too.

if alienware would use the Geforce4 GO they would be better, but they dont.

saturnotaku
03-16-03, 09:14 AM
I would wait until laptops start shipping with the mobile GeForce FX or Radeon Mobility 9600 chipset if you want to have a mobile gaming machine. If that's the case, I would get Dell because I have one and the screen is awesome for gaming.

Hyper_Snyper
03-16-03, 01:37 PM
I heard Sony VAIOs are pretty good. Not good for gaming though, then again I wouldn't use a laptop for gaming.

GlowStick
03-16-03, 01:40 PM
Well, with a Dell and a Geforce4 GO gameing is quite possible, of course you have to add a mouse. The screen isnt that bad and the keyboard is ok for fps.

nin_fragile14
03-16-03, 01:43 PM
I've heard Powernotebooks (http://www.powernotebooks.com/index.php3) make some great laptops.

gravioli
03-16-03, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
if alienware would use the Geforce4 GO they would be better, but they dont.

What makes the Geforce4 Go so much better than the Mobility Radeon 9000? (http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1692&p=15)

The 4200 Go was a decent product (power consumption aside), but Nvidia is phasing it out rather quickly....

GlowStick
03-16-03, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by gravioli
What makes the Geforce4 Go so much better than the Mobility Radeon 9000? (http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1692&p=15)

The 4200 Go was a decent product (power consumption aside), but Nvidia is phasing it out rather quickly....

the gf4 go oute preforms the radeon 9000 mobility very well.

That guy from HardOCP even gives it all his props.

gravioli
03-16-03, 04:02 PM
That guy from HardOCP even gives it all his props.

Really? (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzQ5LDE=)

HardOCP is happy to award the TOP PICK seal of approval to the Mobility Radeon 9000. Kudos to ATi for pushing forward in a hypercompetitive industry while keeping a level of dignity in their marketing and allowing their products to do the talking for them.

GlowStick
03-16-03, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by gravioli
Really? (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzQ5LDE=)

"Thursday, August 29, 2002 Date"
Yes, That is pritty old, the Mobility 9000 has been around for a while, while the GO was intorduced for a few months.

The best place to see and hear him talk about it is the Yamaha convention. From memroy he said something like this

A new product is the Geforce 4 GO, I saw it and it was just amazeing, it has Geforce 4200 preformance in a lap top.

They put the video of the convention, pritty boreing really, Anand and the guy from Hardocp (i forget his name) talk and answer dumb peoples questions.

BTW, i do have a Laptop with a Mobility Radeon 9000 in it.

Its a compaq 1.2ghz p3 with it in it. Pritty impressive but it struggles on Serious Sam:The Second Encounter. I cant get it to play any thing better than that. But again, its a laptop and not ment for gameing so i still give the M Radeon9000 a top noch score. Just if you wanted a gameming lap top the Geforce4 GO is the better solution :O

gravioli
03-16-03, 04:48 PM
The 4200 Go just started showing up in Dell notebooks. It performs very well, but you sacrifice battery life for gaming performance.

Here are a few comments from Anand:

With the release of two new NVIDIA mobile graphics processors we were left wondering what would become of the GeForce4 4200 Go chip. Initially announced in November of last year it was not until yesterday that we actually saw the GeForce4 4200 Go in a laptop (the Dell Latitude D800), some 4 months later than NVIDIA indicated notebooks would be shipping. It seems that the current plans call for phasing the GeForce4 4200 Go out pretty quickly, with the GeForce FX Go5600 taking over thanks to its superior thermal characteristics and significantly lower power consumption. It is possible that a few more design wins for the GeForce4 4200 Go may pop up in the next week or two, but do not count on it. It seems that the chip was more of a knee jerk reaction to the Mobility Radeon 9000 than a realistic product.

The 4200 Go looks like it might be a great LAN party computer because in that situation you wouldn't have to worry about battery life.

GlowStick
03-16-03, 05:08 PM
The only situations where i ever used my lap top for gameing was at a lan. We just wanted to play Starcraft and i didnt feeling like lugging my Monitor and Tower and keyboard and mouse around.

For StarCraft its perfect, i just broght my usb mouse and i was set. (plugged in of course).

Now if we wanted to play like UT2k3 i would of had to bring my computer, but it would be nice if my lap top did have the Power to play new games.

Now an ultimate system would be an Alienware type 3.06ghz with the Geforce4 GO or FX GO with Intel Centrino (shameless plug)

Currently the board they use only has the Radeon 9000 mobility. Amazeinly the unit has no battery life what so ever ; D yeah the 3.06 sucks all the power right away.

saturnotaku
03-16-03, 11:19 PM
Currently the board they use only has the Radeon 9000 mobility. Amazeinly the unit has no battery life what so ever ; D yeah the 3.06 sucks all the power right away.

That's because those notebooks are using the desktop Pentium 4 chips, not P4-M's. It would be nice to see an HT-ready P4-M but I don't see that happening any time in the near future. Centrino is where it's at.

Gator
03-17-03, 06:42 AM
I like Dell for their warranty and Radeon9000. Toshiba I hear are the BEST laptop you can buy though with the niciest display and price value.

I DONOT like Compaq because I've seen MANY Compaq laptops come to my tech lab for repairs, they are a pain in the neck

GlowStick
03-17-03, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
That's because those notebooks are using the desktop Pentium 4 chips, not P4-M's. It would be nice to see an HT-ready P4-M but I don't see that happening any time in the near future. Centrino is where it's at.

duh