PDA

View Full Version : Formula One Championship Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3

|MaguS|
02-26-07, 08:52 PM
Wow... Just played the demo... I never liked F1 racing before but im hooked. This is a must buy for me. Its so fun, not only does it play fast but the learning curve in the game isn't horrible with the assitance on. I usually suck at these type of games so I started with it at max and then lowered it to only 3 of the 7 options even on. Basically Im stoping myself from locking my breaks, the weakest steering assistance and brake assistance.

This game looks amazing aswell, Now I know tons of purist hate Sony for making the F1 Series exclusive to them but they gotta give this version a shot. With all the options disabled it plays too realistically for me but it might be perfect for the ones that like that.

One more thing... **** YOU MONTOYA! I don't know how this guy is but he keeps beating me... Closest I got was 3rd place... he's always first... you ****er!

OWA
02-26-07, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely picking this one up, hopefully on Wednesday.

MUYA
02-26-07, 10:18 PM
Any screens?

|MaguS|
02-26-07, 10:20 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/f1/screenindex.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs

Make sure to watch the vids, game is awsome in motion.

Marvel_us
02-26-07, 10:26 PM
IGN scored it a 7.2.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/767/767126p2.html

Seems like they just sucked at the game.

|MaguS|
02-26-07, 10:28 PM
I dont think they are fans of the type of game... they sound very bias against F1 more then acouple of times through the review.

OWA
02-26-07, 10:36 PM
Sounds more like they're just not a fan of F1 racing. They keep saying things like it's a good F1 game if you like that sort of thing.

Kind of like this quote:

As for the racing itself, there's a fair bit to like here, at least if you're a fan of technical racing.

Edit: Heh, guess |MaguS| agrees...and he beat me to the punch.

whiskeychaser
02-26-07, 11:53 PM
I just downloaded it, thanks for the heads up. I was surprised at how much better the graphics are on the PS3 over GTR2 for the PC. Monza looked great. I can't wait to check out the weather effects, they looked sweet in those videos. Does anyone know if F1 is compatible with a G25?

|MaguS|
02-27-07, 12:32 AM
The review says it is...

Formula One Championship Edition features support for a number of Logitech racing wheels, like the Driving Force Pro and its premiere G25 racing wheel.

MUYA
02-27-07, 12:54 AM
F1, Killzone, Fight night? (was it) anyway, these games had me seriously considering the PS3.... still have to wait for more games :) Any word on a Dragon ball Z budokan style game?

Bad_Boy
02-27-07, 04:35 AM
F1, Killzone, Fight night? (was it) anyway, these games had me seriously considering the PS3.... still have to wait for more games :) Any word on a Dragon ball Z budokan style game?
I'm sure they have one in the making, they would be stupid not too. Though no official word on one yet.

MustangSVT
02-27-07, 09:31 AM
I was considering a PS3 for this game maybe this summer. But after reading on IGN that it doesn't have force feedback with either DFP or G25, I'm going to stay away from this game and the PS3. Shame on you Sony and game developer.

OWA
02-27-07, 09:37 AM
Is there a list somewhere of wheels that are supported on the PS3 even if it's unofficially? Also, how do you use a wheel with a console? That is, the only thing I think I could attach it to is maybe the coffee table.

saturnotaku
02-27-07, 09:58 AM
MS has a wireless wheel for the 360. There might be a way for the G25 to work since it's a simple USB connection.

Far as this game goes, the reviews on Gamerankings are all over the place. I'll definitely check out the demo, though.

MustangSVT
02-27-07, 12:23 PM
Well according to IGN article, the G25 and the Logitech DFP work with this game, except it doesn't have force feedback. These two wheels do not work with the 360, even though they both use USB and 360 has USB as well. In Microsoft's ignorance, they were reluctant to include support for the most popular wheels out there at the moment, the DFP and the G25 and instead make a new wheel which is a piece of crap compared to the DFP, let alone the G25.

LurkerLito
02-27-07, 02:29 PM
I never got around to buying a wheel for the PS2 but always wanted one. Now that it seems that the PS3 won't support force feedback on any of the games I have no incentive at all to buy one.

The F1 demo was ok. I wasn't left with a must buy the game state of mind after playing it but I have always preferred the GT type games than the pure F1 type racing games.

IIRC didn't MS say no 3rd party controllers would work without their permission or a license on the 360 or was that only in the case of wireless controllers?

OWA
02-27-07, 02:52 PM
If I get a wheel, I'm pretty sure I want it to be wireless. I bought a joystick for the XBL games but never use it b/c it ended up being wired. I have a feeling I'd be the same way about a wheel. I may try my old MS wheel (usb version for the PC) just to see if it'll work though.

Burner_Tbird2
02-27-07, 03:22 PM
No Force Feedback? That's archaic, does anyone know if this has to do with the rumble pack legal dispute. Anyone know if this is just bad developing or a new PS3 requirement for future games?

|MaguS|
02-27-07, 04:11 PM
No PS3 game will be coded with Force Feedback by default since the PS3 does not support it. If a developer wants to include it in the game so that 3rd party controllers work with Force Feedback then nothing is to stop them.

I for one don't miss Force Feedback, not because the motion capabilities are so superior but because I just get thrown into the game so much that its not something I think about. The only thing I miss really is the weight.

Knot3D
02-27-07, 05:31 PM
Good to see you like it. F1 would one of the major reasons for me to get a PS3. Until now, Sony games has done a pretty good job on the F1 games imo ; whereas, i hated EA's F1 games.

Your description about the assistance options sound alike F1 05 on PS2 ; i usually play F1 05 with all assistance turned off.
Does the game retain sense of speed in all views ?

Still, imho, the best console F1 games were F1 WGP 1&2 on N64.

|MaguS|
02-27-07, 06:05 PM
Good to see you like it. F1 would one of the major reasons for me to get a PS3. Until now, Sony games has done a pretty good job on the F1 games imo ; whereas, i hated EA's F1 games.

Your description about the assistance options sound alike F1 05 on PS2 ; i usually play F1 05 with all assistance turned off.

Still, imho, the best console F1 games were F1 WGP 1&2 on N64.

If you mean by me going... oh **** wall coming up and I still hit it rather then turning because my reaction time is worse then my grandmothers then yes... the sense of speed is there...

OWA
02-27-07, 06:09 PM

That's impressive. I have to have a little bit of assistance or I struggle to compete.

MustangSVT
02-27-07, 08:33 PM
A bit off topic, but for those interested, there is a game called rFactor on PC, and there's a mod called CDTP F1 2005 mod (or it might be 2006 now too). Anyway, it is pretty amazing. It's got nice graphics, and superb physics. And you can imagine it's really nice with a wheel and has the really nice force feedback effects.

There's also some nice mods for Grand Prix 4 but most people don't have that game.

OWA
02-27-07, 08:42 PM

Heh, I tried it with everything turned off (all the assistance, that is) and didn't make it around the first curve. Wish I could take a screenshot to show you the mess I caused. :o I got completely turned around facing the incoming cars and only the first few cars escaped the logjam.

|MaguS|
02-27-07, 08:50 PM
A bit off topic, but for those interested, there is a game called rFactor on PC, and there's a mod called CDTP F1 2005 mod (or it might be 2006 now too). Anyway, it is pretty amazing. It's got nice graphics, and superb physics. And you can imagine it's really nice with a wheel and has the really nice force feedback effects.

There's also some nice mods for Grand Prix 4 but most people don't have that game.

Does Rfactor offer the assistance that F1 does? I will give it a go if it does but the only reason im liking F1 is because the learning curve can be eased.