PDA

View Full Version : Question About 8800 GTX Power Connectors..

Bowen
02-27-07, 08:01 AM
What type of power connectors do the GeForce 8800 GTX take? Do they take 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors? I have a Enermax 535 watt PSU that has 2 of these. I just want to make sure my PSU has enough juice also and enough connectors.

I know no one can for certain but does anyone know if the GeForce 8900 GTX will have the same connectors as the 8800 GTX's do?

Thanx!

agentkay
02-27-07, 08:09 AM
Two 6-pins, thats correct but they included two Y cables which you can use to connect regular 4 pin cables.

Bowen
02-27-07, 09:26 AM
Two 6-pins, thats correct but they included two Y cables which you can use to connect regular 4 pin cables.

Thanks, my PSU should have enough power for it don't you think? BTW, the rig I have in my sig is what I have now. I'm upgrading to a C2D E6600 Asus P5B-E Mobo 2-4 GB of DDR2 667 Corsair XMS RAM and of course a GeForce 8800 GTX to be followed by a 8900 GTX through eVGA's Step Up program. According to this PSU calculator, I will use 397 watts with a GeForce 8800 GTX and the C2D system. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

SlieTheSecond
02-27-07, 10:05 AM
If you have a 30A combined with your PSU. Your good to go.

Note: You don't combine dual rail amps.

Bowen
02-27-07, 10:18 AM
If you have a 30A combined with your PSU. Your good to go.

Note: You don't combine dual rail amps.

Right I know, that wouldn't get you anywhere good! I know this will likely be the last upgrade I'll be able to do with this PSU but I was hoping as much. I can't believe ATi's R600 needs 240 watts just for it's PSU! The 8900 GTX will likely be just as fast if not faster and I don't think it will require any more wattage than the 8800 GTX uses, so the question is, why does the R600? Hmmm...but I digress...sorry. Just ticked about the R600 since I was planning on buying one, but since I need to buy a new PSU with it and wait AGAIN, I'm done with ATi this year. I got screwed with the R520 and waited 3 months and ended up getting a 7800 GTX which then I used eVGA's Step Up program and then got what I have now, the 7800 GTX 512 (Which I'm happy with). I just hope Nvidia fixes their driver problems.

Cyant
02-27-07, 10:35 AM
I have an Enermax 535 Watt PSU too and my GTX run No problem using both 6 pin connectors.

Bowen
02-27-07, 10:44 AM
I have an Enermax 535 Watt PSU too and my GTX run No problem using both 6 pin connectors.

Cool thanx, now I have a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Seriously....thanx that makes me feel allot better to know someone else has the same PSU as I do and it runs fine! Now I REALLY hope the GeForce 8900 GTX is released before June!!!

*EDIT*
I emailed Enermax and see what their take on it was and this how they responded:

"Dear Customer,

You can use the EG535PVE PSU on one single 8800GTX video but remember that the 8800GTX card can consume up to 225W so depending on your system setup, it might not be able to do the job if your system is loaded with components. Rail 2 of the +12V has a max limits of 22A which equals 264W total for your video card and peripherals. So even though there’s two PCI E on your power supply it will only work with the 8800GTX card if you have minimum hardware in your system. We don’t recommend using it for an 8800GTX, maybe 8800GTS."

Best Regards,

Enermax Subsidiary in U.S.A.
Coolergiant Computers, Inc.
Tel: 510-324-0688
Fax: 510-324-0788
www.coolergiant.com

I don't get it, the PSU calculator said I only need a 397 watt PSU. Now Enermax is saying that the 8800 GTX needs almost as much as a R600?? Am I wrong here or is Enermax just trying to sell me another PSU? From everything I've read and from what you've said it sounds like I have plenty of wattage left. If you don't mind, what your system specs?

*EDIT*
Well I put in the PSU calc with the specs I have now and I'm actually using more wattage with my current setup than I am with my new setup... So I guess I'm fine...heh

Cyant
02-27-07, 01:55 PM
I run:
5x Hard drives all 7200 RPM
(1x 2MB cache 2x 8MB Cache and 2x 16MB cache)

6x 120mm fans

2x Sound cards (X-FI + Audigy 1)

An Opteron 165 (Dual Core)

4x 512MB PC3200

The 8800GTX + a Slotfan right below it really help with the temperature, drop to 59C Idle/69C Load from like 73C Idle/88C Load without it.

No CD/DVD drives they are external.

And like I said it run perfectly. Later when I upgrade to a new CPU/ SLI motherboard and second 8800GTX I will just add a second PSU (I have extra 365W Enermax's around). I will just rig it to power the second card while the 565W one power the rest of the system. Thx 12v relay! ehehe.

RussianHAXOR
02-27-07, 06:43 PM
Bowen... i have no idea how you are able to run that system on 535watts. You have like 4 sticks of mem, a 4400+ processor, a buttload of drives. I think you are cutting it very closely on power. But i mean if it works, it works. Just consider yourself warned.

SlieTheSecond
02-27-07, 08:07 PM
Well run some benchmarks. And if you get low scores compared to other people with the same setup, your video card is most likely not getting enough juice.

If it starts crashing or going funky well it's probably not getting enough juice.

I know for such an expensive high end video card. I wouldn't be willing to cross my fingers and hope nothing goes wrong with a psu not recommended for it.

Bowen
02-28-07, 06:41 AM
Bowen... i have no idea how you are able to run that system on 535watts. You have like 4 sticks of mem, a 4400+ processor, a buttload of drives. I think you are cutting it very closely on power. But i mean if it works, it works. Just consider yourself warned.

My computer runs very stable and I get a Windows crash every time there's peace in the Middle East...heh. So it's very stable and my benchmark scores like 3DMark06 are very good...sorry I can't remember what they are, but they are in the top scores with people with my specs. With the PSU calculator is said I use something like 415....sorry can't remember what it says exactly, I believe I posted it earlier. Anyway my upgrade is actually going to use less wattage 397 watts and I have a 535 watt PSU so I'm well under. That said, I know with my next upgrade in a couple years I'll have to upgrade my PSU to something like a 1K since I'll be moving to a 4 or 8-core system by then.

I just want to keep my PSU if I can and with the 8800 and 8900 GTX cards I know I will fortunately.