PDA

View Full Version : My 360 nightmare - a story in three acts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

saturnotaku
02-27-07, 08:30 AM
Prologue

As you may or may not know, I had to send my Xbox 360 in for replacement as it fell victim to the three flashing red lights of death. The following is my tale of trying to receive that replacement and the subsequent issues.

Act I - The Coming Storm

Our hero has received the necessary materials and instructions for sending his launch Xbox 360 in for replacement. The console was sent and received by the repair center. While our hero is waiting for his replacement, he orders his loving fiance a Valentine's Day gift, an autographed picture of her favorite athlete.

The photograph is sent by UPS and requires a signature for delivery. Our hero leaves a note on his front door instructing that UPS please leave the picture at his door or else he will personally pick up the package at the distribution hub. Little did he know that on the same day that the picture was to be delivered, the replacement console also was to arrive. The following day, the UPS driver heeded his request to leave the picture, but did not leave the replacement console. Further, the UPS driver did not leave an official note saying that he attempted to deliver the Xbox - he simply returned it to the distribution center, awaiting my pickup. As our hero was not aware that UPS had done this, and he was lax about checking his repair status, the console was sent back to the Microsoft repair center after the required 5 business days that UPS will hold a package awaiting customer pickup.

In the meantime, our hero was curious as to why it was taking so long for his replacement console to arrive. When he had sent his original Xbox in to Microsoft for service, it was turned around with 10 calendar days. It was now getting on three weeks. Although he stupidly did not write down the return tracking number, he was able to track his package via the reference number provided by Microsoft.

Holy hell, he thought! The package was returned to Microsoft, and the repair center had been sitting on the package for eight days. There were no e-mails, no phone calls, nothing at all from Microsoft inquiring as to why their package was sent back to them. Our hero quickly got on the phone to Microsoft and calmly but firmly explained the situation, citing how there was a breakdown among himself, UPS, and Microsoft. He needed his 360 for a LAN party he was attending the weekend of February 23 (this was February 20). He inquired about sending the console back to him via next day air, at his own expense, since he needed it for said party. He was informed that they would try but couldn't guarantee it.

Sure enough, someone at Microsoft took pity on our hero and the console was indeed shipped next day air. Though he had to pick it up at the UPS distribution center on February 23, he was very happy that he and his friends could partake in the greatness that is Gears of War.

Alas, this our hero's tale is far from over. The next post is Act II of this saga.

saturnotaku
02-27-07, 08:43 AM
Act II - The Rockford Files

February 23, 2007 - Rockford, Illinois. The weekend LAN party has begun. There has been Wii Virtual Console gaming, salty treats are being enjoyed, and the attendees are engaging in the greatness that is Gears of War co-op on our hero's rejuvinated Xbox 360. As the players reach the next checkpoint in the story, the game completely freezes. Odd, but thinking it a fluke, the console is rebooted. Within 30 minutes of playing, the system freezes again. Our hero pops in Burnout Revenge - same problem, frozen this time within 15 minutes.

A check of the knowledgebase reveals that this could be an issue with the hard drive. To the local electronics retailer do our hero and his friends venture to pick up a memory unit on which to copy the savegame before leaving the hard drive detached. The memory unit is acquired, the data is copied, Gears of War is again played. Success after three straight hours of play. Our hero determines that he will call Microsoft on February 26 to arrange replacement of his hard drive. As he plans to call after 9 p.m. that night since it will be free on his cell phone, he fires up Crackdown for some third-person enemy stomping action.

To his shock and dismay, the console again freezes. Thus, our hero has determined that it is indeed not a defective hard drive and when he speaks to Microsoft after 9 p.m., he will inform them of this and request that his console be replaced yet again. He makes that call and explains his situation to the representative. The representative proceeds to inform our hero that a repair cannot be authorized on this unit as its serial number has not been attached to his account. The serial number of the first defective unit is still there, and that change will not be made for 3 to 7 business days. He is advised to call again on March 6. Though he wanted to bite off the head of this representative, our hero was too taken aback to do anything.

After he has slept it off, he has just sent a sterm e-mail to Xbox support detailing his situation and displeasure at the service he has received. His demands of Microsoft are simple. They can do any of the following: 1) send a remanufactured replacement with a system build date of June 1, 2006, or later; 2) send a brand new, retail boxed 360 Core system (since he will use his existing hard drive); or 3) send a voucher redeemable for a brand new Core system at the retailer of Microsoft's choice.

He has no choice now but to sit and await a reply. The third act of this tale will be written when the matter has closed.

Intermission...

|MaguS|
02-27-07, 08:44 AM
But but MS is flawless! They do no wrong... I remember how many people called BS when my X360 took almost a month to get back to me... **** happens.

Glad you got yours back... why is there an Act II? Don't tell me the repaired unit died aswell...

EDIT: Bah you and your fast typing...

OWA
02-27-07, 08:46 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about the issue but hopefully it'll work out in the end. After all you've been through, hopefully they'll send a brand new one.

thor1182
02-27-07, 08:49 AM
But but MS is flawless! They do no wrong... I remember how many people called BS when my X360 took almost a month to get back to me... **** happens.

Glad you got yours back... why is there an Act II? Don't tell me the repaired unit died aswell...

horror stories happen from any company for any product. As it is you have that nice huge neon lighted easy target over your head, you sure you want to poor highly flammable liquids on yourself to make it that much easier to flame you?

saturnotaku
02-27-07, 08:55 AM

The thing is, MS did actually have the console back to me quickly. It's UPS that dropped the ball when not leaving a note when they first tried to deliver the package and my fault for not bring more vigilent in keeping up with the repair status (damn PS3 is so entertaining :p ). However, there is no reason at all that MS shouldn't have tried to contact me when they got the package back.

Mr. Hunt
02-27-07, 09:17 AM
The thing is, MS did actually have the console back to me quickly. It's UPS that dropped the ball when not leaving a note when they first tried to deliver the package and my fault for not bring more vigilent in keeping up with the repair status (damn PS3 is so entertaining :p ). However, there is no reason at all that MS shouldn't have tried to contact me when they got the package back.

Now we all know you are lying... 360 broke, TWICE? AND you call PS3 entertaining? LIES!

hazindu
02-27-07, 09:22 AM
Sorry dude, lets just hope act III is the final act in the saga.

ralinn
02-27-07, 10:10 AM
I'm on my 3rd 360 :(

My first died (kept crashing), had it 'repaired', came back in worse condition and didn't even boot. Sent it back again and now I have one that seems to be working. 3rd time lucky, eh? :)

zoomy942
02-27-07, 10:16 AM
I bet your Wii is working great though:) good ol' Wii

Lyme
02-27-07, 10:39 AM
In all fairness the first screwup was by UPS and not Microsoft. While my 360 has worked almost flawlessly since day one (a pre december 2005 built unit), I know some people have had horrible experinces with shoddy units.

NaitoSan
02-27-07, 11:00 AM
I purchased my XBOX360 last summer from BestBuy with two years replacement plan. It's been working great for me with no errors. I thought it'd save me some hassle by buying two years plan from BestBuy so I'd just turn it in to get new one in same day if my 360 died on me.

But I'm sorry to hear about that. :( Hopefully you get everything straighted out soon.

saturnotaku
02-27-07, 11:28 AM
In all fairness the first screwup was by UPS and not Microsoft.

Yes and no. It was UPS' fault for not leaving a notice that they attempted to deliver the package, however Microsoft is to blame for not attempting to contact me that the console had been sent back to them.

evilchris
02-27-07, 12:36 PM

No only Sony is flawless. Sony would have had the replacement in the same day, before you ever called them.

|MaguS|
02-27-07, 12:40 PM
No only Sony is flawless. Sony would have had the replacement in the same day, before you ever called them.

Ha! Your wrong... Sony comes to your house and fixes the unit infront of you...

saturnotaku
02-27-07, 12:52 PM
Ha! Your wrong... Sony comes to your house and fixes the unit infront of you...

Nooooo...Kutaragi personally delivers a replacement PS3, then he hooks you up with a guest pass to the Playboy mansion.

Incidentally, I was at Best Buy on my lunch hour today. I counted 33 unloved 60 GB PS3s on the floor.

zoomy942
02-27-07, 01:14 PM
actually what happens is Kutaragi takes you out to dinner to apolgize for a low quailty product, then he hands you a Wii and says "here, have some REAL FUN."

nemecb
02-27-07, 01:34 PM
Nooooo...Kutaragi personally delivers a replacement PS3, then he hooks you up with a guest pass to the Playboy mansion.
OMG! I just found a reason to buy a PS3!

Or perhaps you were being facetious. Damn fascists.:)

I've already got a Wii so zoomy's doesn't really do it for me either.;)

Lyme
02-27-07, 02:04 PM
Yes and no. It was UPS' fault for not leaving a notice that they attempted to deliver the package, however Microsoft is to blame for not attempting to contact me that the console had been sent back to them.

Nah, people send stuff to distribution centers all the time. If it isn't correctly marked the minions just leave it till they get time.

UPS on the other hand are supposed to:
1) leave a notice of delivery on the first attempt.
2) leave a notice of delivery on the second attempt.
3) If there is no contact from 1 or 2, then ship it back.
It's great to hate MS and all, but face it, UPS dropped the ball.

|MaguS|
02-27-07, 03:07 PM
actually what happens is Kutaragi takes you out to dinner to apolgize for a low quailty product, then he hands you a Wii and says "here, have some REAL FUN."

Yup the PS3 is such a low quality product that you read about hundreds of them breaking and displaying the red ring of death... oh wait thats another console...

BTW on the hardware end seems like we have heard more things breaking relating to the Wii then the PS3... how about them straps. :p

zoomy942
02-27-07, 03:09 PM
ive been pwned :):)

Imbroglio
02-27-07, 03:10 PM
yea i just had the 3 ring of death :(

.... oh wait, no i didn't just like half of all the stupid internet claims. people are just being retarded now, "i'm on my ninth 360 now". this whole 360 failure thing and people claiming to go through multiple consoles is getting out of control.

not saying that they do not break, i'm saying half of these claims are people spouting out at the mouth and not real cases. if as many broke as half the people seem to claim, ms would have a serious class-action lawsuit on their hands.

i feel sorry for saturn that he has had to go through this. but what you were saying before about all the unloved ps3s, i was talking to the local BB manager about seeing how long it will take for them to get 360s manufactured after 12/13 we got talking about console sales. my local BB gets 3 ps3s every other week based on the sales drive of the product, while he typically gets between 7 and 10 360s per week. kind of had a chuckle out of that one.

Serath
02-27-07, 03:18 PM
All I can say is that I'm feeling it with ya. I'm on my second 360 (first one died after 2 months) and this one is now JUST past the extended 1 year warranty... What happened? Frezzes and then after a good solid run of gameplay, I turn it back on and kaput... no video. green dots and lines with perfect sound... System still works, but video is shot.

Imbroglio
02-27-07, 03:21 PM
if you are past your warrenty just take it apart and put some good thermal compound on the gpu and cpu. get some as5 and cleaner, apparently the thermal compound ms was using was pure crap (as if that wasn't obvious), seen a lot of people at xboxscene.com have pretty amazing results by just changing the thermal grease.:D

cause to me it sound like your gpu is overheating.

thor1182
02-27-07, 03:23 PM
the people who have problems are always louder than the ones that don't.