PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about a rather large upgrade

aeolus24
02-27-07, 10:34 AM
Ok so im looking to upgrade my oh 4 year old computer it just dosn't cut it anymore. This will be my frist upgrade when I am going alittle above and beyond what I usally spend. I have a few decisions made but a few i need help with. So im going to buy a e6300 knowing that they OC very well. For mobo im looking at ABIT AB9 Pro i read around it easy to OC with and supports all I need. Now iv always just bought cheap memory in the past, im not looking to buy super expensive memory by any means but id like some suggestions on what to get at a somwhat low budget price, I need 2 gigs. Im going to buy the 320MB 8800 GTS. Now after all this i dont think my little thermaltake 420 PSU will be enough. I see people around here with 650-800w PSU in there sigs. Im just looking for alittle advice to maximize the performace with the money i want to spend about $1000 canadian. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

methimpikehoses
02-27-07, 12:24 PM
-Check the QVL for you mobo on the Abit site for recommended RAM, you should be able to get 2 decent sticks for <$200

-Make sure your new power supply has plenty of juice on the 12V rails, and a pci-e 6-pin connector. DON'T SKIMP ON THE POWER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT TO OC!! You want at least a 450W from a good company: FSP, Enermax, OCZ, Antec.

Here's a link that helped me out:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PSU-Reference-List-ftopict222154.html

I personally had a 500W nmediapc that worked with my components at stock speed, but died when OCd. My OCZ is rock solid, but it costs twice as much... well worth it tho.