PDA

View Full Version : 8800gtx still will NOT overclock (Fixed!)

3DBrad
02-27-07, 11:48 AM
Fixed:
Had to run the splitter instread of mistakenly running it off two different rails! Fixed now! :D

Fixed:
I cannot figure it out, this is annoying.

Every other card I have used with this setup has overclocked fine, even the power hungry 7950gx2.

So anyone have any idea?

My linkwidth on the PCIex16 is currently 16x, so it's not the 1x linkwidth issue (though that does happen to me if I just reboot without letting it sit a minute or so unplugged).

I have tried overclocking it at different ranges, just a little, or more, etc. Usually the game will start, then everything will freeze then it'll throw out another frame or two and everything looks all mest up, colors warped, textures, dropped.

Anyone else have a problem like this? This is the non-OCd card, BTW.

methimpikehoses
02-27-07, 11:58 AM
So it works fine until you OC?

3DBrad
02-27-07, 12:10 PM
Yes, as long as the mobo doesn't reset to 1x link width instread of 16x. If it does that, performance goes really down hill.

agentkay
02-27-07, 12:15 PM
What BIOS version do you have? I personally still use the 0804 BIOS and never had the 1x link problem, it always stayed at 16x even if I overclocked the card to 600/1000.

Make sure you check out this thread of mine regarding latest BIOS versions for the P5B:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86610

Xion X2
02-27-07, 12:17 PM
If your PSU has only two PCI-E adapters, try running a y-adapter to one of the PCI-E connectors on the card, instead. If it has four, try running one PCI-E from each set and see if that helps.

3DBrad
02-27-07, 12:30 PM
If your PSU has only two PCI-E adapters, try running a y-adapter to one of the PCI-E connectors on the card, instead. If it has four, try running one PCI-E from each set and see if that helps.

Yeah, that just fixed it.

After I posted this thread, I clicked on a thread about 8800gtx and someone said not to run them off two separate rails, so I ran the little splitter and woot, it fixed it. Time for the 'nana dance

(nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2)