PDA

View Full Version : Do the 7-Series support HDCP?

Pixelsmack
02-28-07, 01:04 PM
Was this enabled at the driver level for the 7-Series or is this an 8-Series only thing?

Lite-On's sites specs for their Blur-Ray drive seems to think 6 and 7 series will work.

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=197&Itemid=191&limit=1&limitstart=1

Ancient
02-28-07, 01:43 PM
A few of the 7 series have HDCP but not many. It's not something that can just be enabled by a driver either. It's implemented in hardware on the card itself.

Zelda_fan
02-28-07, 02:25 PM
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1071342

you can thank me later

Ruined
02-28-07, 03:21 PM
Was this enabled at the driver level for the 7-Series or is this an 8-Series only thing?

Lite-On's sites specs for their Blur-Ray drive seems to think 6 and 7 series will work.

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=197&Itemid=191&limit=1&limitstart=1

Specific 7 series cards support HDCP, you are best going to NewEgg and searching for:
GeForce HDCP
to get a listing of HDCP-enabled Nvidia cards. The best one IMO is the Leadtek PX7900GS TDH, as it is not too expensive, silent, fast, and has HDCP.

Also, I'd consider HD DVD instead - you can get the XBOX 360 HD DVD drive for less than $200 and it will read HD DVDs no problem in both Windows (with PowerDVD Ultra) and on the 360. Unless, that is, you want the burning aspect (HD DVD burners won't be out for another few weeks).

Pixelsmack
02-28-07, 10:58 PM
Cool! I have a 7900GT. Does the HD DVD driver work in Vista?

Ruined
02-28-07, 11:04 PM
Cool! I have a 7900GT. Does the HD DVD driver work in Vista?

Yes, in fact it is bundled with Vista (or downloads automatically from Windows Update, I forget which). Very easy install, just plug in the 360 HD DVD Drive's USB cable to your computer, let Windows find the drivers and you are done! Just head over to Cyberlink's website and get PowerDVD Ultra to start playing back down HD DVDs; you can check using their BD/HD advisor to see if your current setup has HDCP and other requirements (for DVI output to work, both the video card AND the monitor need to support HDCP, such as in my signature - if both don't have HDCP, you will need to run VGA instead).

Cyberlink HD DVD/BD advisor:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/support/bdhd_support/diagnosis.jsp

Another reason you might want to consider HD DVD instead (aside the cheaper price) is because it doesn't support Blu-Ray's BD+ Advanced Countermeasure - a particularly nasty DRM mechanism found in Blu-Ray that allows the studio to execute code of their choosing on your computer if they believe you are attempting to bypass security in some way. Wayyyy too similar to Sony's CD Rootkit, certainly a security risk I don't want to open my computer up to.

glObalist
03-01-07, 02:16 AM
I don't think the G70 series or current Radeons fully support HDCP:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

Pixelsmack
03-01-07, 02:29 AM
Crap, according to the advisor my card isn't supported. The 7900GTX and 7950GX2 are but not the 7900GT. I find that very odd. Maybe Vista is tripping it up?

Ruined
03-01-07, 02:36 AM
Crap, according to the advisor my card isn't supported. The 7900GTX and 7950GX2 are but not the 7900GT. I find that very odd. Maybe Vista is tripping it up?

No, I don't think there are many (if any) 7900GT cards with HDCP. Most 7-series HDCP cards were 7600GS, 7900GS, 7950GT, or 7900GX2. Although, since it is not built into the GPU I believe HDCP is optional on all 7-series cards.

All is not lost, however. If you are running DVI, simply use a DVI->VGA plug and run it to the VGA input to your monitor.

Pixelsmack
03-01-07, 02:40 AM
Will it still be full HD? Wait...my PRJ only has HDMI and DVI and Component inputs.

I guess a $280 8800GTS(320mb) is in my future. :\

Ruined
03-01-07, 07:33 AM
Will it still be full HD? Wait...my PRJ only has HDMI and DVI and Component inputs.

I guess a $280 8800GTS(320mb) is in my future. :\

If you don't want to spend that much money, this $155 7900GS will do the job, too and be similar in speed to your current card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122010

its a near-silent card, too.

DarkJedi664
03-01-07, 08:40 AM
That Lite-On drive may be the cheapest one out there, but it CAN'T read BD-50 discs. So Black Hawk Down, and countless others, can't be used on this drive. That's why I bought the Sony instead.

nekrosoft13
03-01-07, 08:45 AM
also if i remember correctly it can only burn BD-R, not the re-writable version

Princess_Frosty
03-01-07, 11:16 AM
This is hardware feature and cannot be implimented simply in drivers alone, the 7950GX2 cards were the first to have HDCP support which are still technically the 7xxx range. Some of the later cards which came after the 7950GX2 MAY support HDCP but it's largely up to the partners who make the board, it can differ between manufacturers.

Most of the 7xxx range dont support HDCP, and remember that both the monitor AND the graphics card have to support HDCP to play content through the DVI connection, and there's not a massive amount of HDCP monitors around either.

Pixelsmack
03-01-07, 10:20 PM
Does the 7400GO support HDCP? I ask because HP's top end notebook comes with a HDDVD drive and uses a 7600GO. So I was wondering if the lessor 7400Go did. Since it came out AFTER the 7600GO. If so, I could run the HDDVD drive off my notebook. It has the min needed CPU, a Core 2 Duo 1.83ghz.

UPDATE....Advisor doesn't know what to make of the card. But lots of other tech posts seem to say it does. Guess I will find out Saturday. Be nice not to have to buy a new vid card just yet.

Princess_Frosty
03-02-07, 12:30 PM
Does the 7400GO support HDCP? I ask because HP's top end notebook comes with a HDDVD drive and uses a 7600GO. So I was wondering if the lessor 7400Go did. Since it came out AFTER the 7600GO. If so, I could run the HDDVD drive off my notebook. It has the min needed CPU, a Core 2 Duo 1.83ghz.

UPDATE....Advisor doesn't know what to make of the card. But lots of other tech posts seem to say it does. Guess I will find out Saturday. Be nice not to have to buy a new vid card just yet.

Entirely depends on the manufacturer, it maybe on the reference board but certain manufacturers might decide to leave off that from their own product, and vice versa, certain manufacturers might add on HDCP to a card which traditionally didn't support it.

Vista the manufacturers website for details, and if they don't have it then email their support.