PDA

View Full Version : cooling solutions for 8800gtx

kevJ420
02-28-07, 04:10 PM
Why did all of the board manufacturers choose aluminum fins and pipes instead of copper ones?

How much of a difference do you think copper would have made as opposed to aluminum?

winton
02-28-07, 04:16 PM
aluminum is cheaper. In terms of cooling, copper is better since it conducts heat faster, not sure about temperature diiferences.

J-Mag
02-28-07, 04:26 PM
Also when you get to the size HSF are becoming these days a full copper system can put too much stress on the board due to increased weight.

swaaye
02-28-07, 04:52 PM
Ya, Al w/ heatpipes is very efficient, cheap, and much lighter than Cu. It's a popular combination with CPU coolers, as well. They use Cu in the base, where the concentration of heat is highest, and then Al for the rest. Heatpipe magic aids heat transfer to the Al fins. It's a good balance. Heatpipes, btw, are vastly more efficient than even solid copper.

If the 8800 cooler was solid copper it would weigh several times more than it does.

kevJ420
02-28-07, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

buffbiff21
02-28-07, 08:21 PM
If the 8800 cooler was solid copper it would weigh several times more than it does.

QFT

I have EK fullcover waterblocks on my cards, they are about 2 1/2 lbs each I would say. That is quite a bit of weight.

The Hip
03-01-07, 07:58 AM
Copper absorbs heat faster than alu, but don't release it as fast - so I think that's the cause for the copper base + alu fins.. and of course as mentioned already, weight is also a growing concern. ;)

swaaye
03-01-07, 01:36 PM
Copper absorbs heat faster than alu, but don't release it as fast - so I think that's the cause for the copper base + alu fins.. and of course as mentioned already, weight is also a growing concern. ;)

No, that's a myth. Cu is better than Al in every way for heat transfer. But it's very heavy because of its density, and more expensive, so its use is not preferred.
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909585&m=6280913492

The best coolers out there are Cu + Heatpipes. But they are also expensive and super heavy.