PDA

View Full Version : PS3 System Update 1.54 Available

OWA
02-28-07, 06:20 PM
Just got on the PS3 and was informed system update 1.54 is available. Not sure of the changes yet.

This is all I found for the 1.54 changes:

New for 1.54: [Screen Mode] has been added as an option in the options menu for video chat. The image of the person you are chatting with during video chat can now be changed to match the screen size.

New for 1.54: You can now use a compatible USB camera compliant with USB video class (UVC) for video chat.

hoop
02-28-07, 06:37 PM
sweet

saturnotaku
02-28-07, 08:09 PM
I'm probably just retarded, but is there any setting I can configure that will allow the system to boot into anything other than the Games menu? It's annoying to have it go there by default and then I'm assaulted by the music of whatever demos I've downloaded.

Slash310
02-28-07, 09:30 PM
this is the only thing that is new...

# Friends

* New for 1.54: [Screen Mode] has been added as an option in the options menu for video chat. The image of the person you are chatting with during video chat can now be changed to match the screen size.
* New for 1.54: You can now use a compatible USB camera compliant with USB video class (UVC) for video chat.
* For information on supported models and usage instructions, contact the retailer where the cameras are sold.
* The method for saving your password / signing in automatically under PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork has been changed. There are now two separate options.

saturnotaku
02-28-07, 10:54 PM
The easy fix is to stop leaving your discs in the drive. Wingding. :p

Slash310
03-01-07, 12:45 AM
The easy fix is to stop leaving your discs in the drive. Wingding. :p
my disc is always in the drive

Bad_Boy
03-01-07, 03:58 AM
Something is rumored to come along with the March update that is supposedly going to help out HDTV owners.

I’ve got a few interesting details regarding upcoming PS3 features - some of which will make it to Sony’s keynote at GDC next week. Let’s just say that Sony has some good news for the Sony faithful, especially HDTV owners.

I’ll leave it at that. Come back Thursday kiddos.http://www.rumorreporter.com/

edit:

Its been updated already
http://www.rumorreporter.com/?p=202
Rumor Reporter Exclusive: Sony To Release PS3 Emulator/Firmware For ‘Software Playback’; PS3’s Built-In HD Scaler To Eventually Upscale Existing PS2/PSOne Games To 1080i/720p
though not coming in march the site says (sometime around summer), this is pretty good news if true. phil harrison should be talking about it during gdc.

Mr. Hunt
03-01-07, 07:22 AM
Awesome... sounds like US and Japan PS3 owners get the best of both Hardware and software emulation if this turns out to be true...

EDIT: And I just saw this (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23148).

Marvel_us
03-01-07, 01:29 PM
Awesome... sounds like US and Japan PS3 owners get the best of both Hardware and software emulation if this turns out to be true...

EDIT: And I just saw this (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23148).

Heh, I bet people will still complain. Remember just a couple of days ago it was a "handful" of titles. Wonder how these losers will spin it now.

thor1182
03-01-07, 01:51 PM
I think if Sony hadn't made a stink about the 360's software emulation, and saying that their method was better, then turn around and do the same thing, there wouldn't have been an issue.

Marvel_us
03-01-07, 03:20 PM
I think if Sony hadn't made a stink about the 360's software emulation, and saying that their method was better, then turn around and do the same thing, there wouldn't have been an issue.

There method is still better. They have PS3's in both US and Japan playing about 98% of their back catalog. While have the UK PS3's playing all PS1 and according to the latest news, a little over 1000 PS2 games. You have to admit that is not a bad number at all. Especially after everyone was bad mouthing them last week, making it seem like they'd barely even have over 100 BC titles.

thor1182
03-01-07, 04:01 PM
I could see the emulation software that hits the US and Japan being buggier, or the whole thing being a mess. You have a team of software writers writing software that has different hardware environments/platforms to run on (assuming that both versions will use the same code base), then add in all the exceptions and rules for different games to throw in.

i.e. this game uses the built in hardware, this games uses the emulator except under these conditions... When you start going down paths like that, things get ugly.

Marvel_us
03-01-07, 09:21 PM
I could see the emulation software that hits the US and Japan being buggier, or the whole thing being a mess. You have a team of software writers writing software that has different hardware environments/platforms to run on (assuming that both versions will use the same code base), then add in all the exceptions and rules for different games to throw in.

i.e. this game uses the built in hardware, this games uses the emulator except under these conditions... When you start going down paths like that, things get ugly.

You're assuming that they won't disable the current EE+GS chip in the PS3's though. I understand why people in the UK were upset but it's not just the UK that are going to get those PS3s. They will soon hit US and Japan rendering the EE+GS chip obsolete.

|MaguS|
03-01-07, 09:28 PM
The removal of the EE (the GS has not been removed which is why BC is still pretty operational in the UK PS3) in the UK PS3 will not hinder BC as much as everyone thinks, Sony is already stating that they will have acouple thousand games backwards compatible at the UK Launch.

One thing people might want to keep an eye out is that there is a rumor that with the UK Version of the PS3 they will get upscaling with their PS2 games... since they are relying on alot more software support then the current systems require.

Marvel_us
03-01-07, 09:33 PM
Don't shoot me if this doesn't turn out to be true but....:headexplode:
Details from Phil Harrison- Sony Computer Worldwide Studios
Keynote at GDC March 7th 2007:

Anouncements:

Firmware update available on the 8th for North America/Japan and Asia. European PS3's will be preloaded with this latest update.

Features of this latest firmware include:

More refined PS Store frontend
Playstation Network integrity enhanced
Wallpapers from pictures
Ability to change background colours
Sony Connect Store for music and movies added to the PS Store. Hundreds of trailers/full films/song videos and mps3's available for download.
Playstation Card option in PS Store enabled.
Playstation Lifestyle- Similar to my space/youtube. User generated content and experiences are the key.
+ more.

Removal of Emotion Engine chips in PS3's in NA and Japan to follow in April. Reason for this is to reduce costs and focus on enhanced opportunities via software. Benefits include the ability to upscale selected PSone/PS2 games to 1080i/720p.

Lots of development talk.
Release dates for key games. Warhawk in June/July 2007. Heavenly Sword delayed. Killzone and MGS4 in late 2007.

New content on PS Store available on the 8th:

Tekken 6 trailer
Lair demo & trailer
Rainbow Six Vegas demo
EA: Skate trailer
Battlefield Bad Company trailer
Warhawk demo
Virtua Fighter 5 demo
Virtua Tennis 3 demo & trailer
GRAW 2: trailer
Mortal Kombat 2 game
Killzone trailer

Killzone demo for May.

More details. Stay tuned on the 7th.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=846685

OWA
03-01-07, 09:45 PM
Wow, lots of stuff. Wonder how much is true?

|MaguS|
03-01-07, 09:49 PM
I hope more is covered... that doesn't that amazing and it is rumored that what he has to say will get alll PS3 owners happy.

OWA
03-01-07, 10:02 PM
A rumor I read said it was the "home" thing (I think called Playstation Lifestyle above) that is the big news. Some sort of social networking stuff. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Mr. Hunt
03-02-07, 08:12 AM
Damn it... Heavenly Sword delayed AGAIN?! But... MGS4 and Killzone by the end of the year? YAY!

Bad_Boy
03-02-07, 10:02 AM
I would love for that stuff to happen, but it seems like if that all happened on one day, it would break the PSN servers. Thats a lot of great stuff, but damn in one day could cripple the network I'd imagine. I'll believe it when I see it. :P

Marvel_us
03-02-07, 10:45 AM
I would love for that stuff to happen, but it seems like if that all happened on one day, it would break the PSN servers. Thats a lot of great stuff, but damn in one day could cripple the network I'd imagine. I'll believe it when I see it. :P

Depends on how good their servers are. If they really are thinking up that stuff for PS Home and are going to implement it soon then I'd expect this to be the first test for their network.

OWA
03-02-07, 10:59 AM
I don't know, it sounds like it would be a major stress on the network. My downloads over PSN aren't blazing fast as it is so I just don't see how they could handle all this extra load.

Marvel_us
03-02-07, 11:15 AM
BELIEVE!