PDA

View Full Version : RAM suggestions

Cujo91
03-01-07, 03:58 AM
Yo, what ddr2 2gb (2x1gb) sticks do you guys reccomend for medium to high quality/price.

Xion X2
03-01-07, 04:30 AM
G.Skill, Crucial Ballistix, Corsair, OCZ, etc.

Look for fast speed and good timings.

buffbiff21
03-01-07, 04:48 AM
AHaha come on Xion you can do better than that ;)

What you want are sticks that use Micron D9 IC

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90973

Look for the ones highlighted in red. I say spend no more than 350 for a 2GB pair, because anything over that will likely just be a waste of potential bandwidth. (unless you plan on using FSB speeds of 600 and up!) :p

Xion X2
03-01-07, 05:28 AM
Some guys go all orgasmic over a set of good Microns. I'm not one of those guys, and the reason is because I believe memory is by far the least significant factor when it comes to real-world performance. All you need is a good, reliable brand with good timings/speed. Even if you find a pair that overclock well, you can usually only tell by a few tenths of a second on a SuperPi run or maybe 1fps in your games. That's not nearly enough for the extra hundreds of dollars some will spend or the trouble they go through to find the perfect sticks.

Don't get me wrong. When I look for memory, I read a decent amount of reviews and do my research, check timings carefully, and look for a good speed. But I keep a level head about it and realize the cost/benefit factor is pretty poor compared to the rest of your computer components. For the money one may spend on a set of 400-500$ sticks of RAM, they could have a kickass water cooling system to help them overclock their CPU/GPU by 10-20% and more than make up the difference.

The #1 factor is almost always how well your motherboard will sync with whatever brand of RAM you buy. Some are better with some brands than others. I had a set of DDR500 OCZ Platinum sticks on my last system that people were raving about, but when I switched to an Asus board it vomited them out at every overclocking venture. Meanwhile, my buddy was using low-level Crucial 400 on the same setup I was and running the same speeds I was since I had to underclock mine to keep it stable.

So to be blunt, I think those who go trapsing about looking for the perfect set of RAM sticks that will increase their overall performance by maybe .01% either need something better to spend their time/money on or are completely oblivious. That may sound kind of harsh, but that's my take on it.

buffbiff21
03-01-07, 06:02 PM
the reason is because I believe memory is by far the least significant factor when it comes to real-world performance.

I agree.

But if you want to hit FSB speeds of over 400 with reasonable latency timings then you will need Microns.

I see he ^ has an e6600, so you actually dont need Microns all that badly unless you have a great chip. But still, Micron IC are not all that hard to find, and DDR2 prices are really dropping recently.

Cujo91
03-01-07, 11:49 PM
I have a kingston 1gig stick currently and the sucker is at 60 percent when I'm just on the internet. I'm just getting into computers but I have never heard of that brand name before this I bought this computer, and I read somewhere that no name brand rams perform horribly. Maybe I am looking at 2gigs because my one is performing so horribly. Does the Microns work well with the Asus p5 premium and what specs are the usual norm that I should look for. Thanks for the replies.

john19055
03-02-07, 12:01 AM
Not all D9 Micron IC chips overclock great ,most do ,but not all ,I still think the Corsair PC6400C4 Dominator is good memory even if it does have promo IC.the four sticks I had would do there rated output of 800mhz with 4-4-4-12-2T AT 2.1V and the four stick I had would overclock to 1000mhz at 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.2v and they look good.I just got the PC8500C5 Dominators because I got them cheap with the trade in from corsair.there are lots of ram out there that is good no manner what brand and some that is just junk ,look for good timming with high speed and the lowest voltage.

buffbiff21
03-02-07, 12:04 AM
the four stick I had would overclock to 1000mhz at 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.2v and they look good.

You must have version 1.1 or 1.2 then, the ones that actually used the microns.

I, too, had a pair of those but figured it would be better to spend a little more and trade them in with their promotion thingey like you did :p

Rytr
03-02-07, 12:11 AM
Kingston is a brand name and they usually produce some quality memory sticks. I really have not used any of their hi perf sticks but I have used their standard ram sticks in several pc's built for average daily use and results have been consistent stable, reliable systems.

I have some Micron D9 in my present gaming rig rated at PC8500. Total overkill for that system as I would have been better off getting some good PC6400 that would run 800MHz. Performance would have been equally as good for a lot less cost...you live and learn. :D

Zelda_fan
03-02-07, 12:57 AM
Some guys go all orgasmic over a set of good Microns. I'm not one of those guys, and the reason is because I believe memory is by far the least significant factor when it comes to real-world performance. All you need is a good, reliable brand with good timings/speed. Even if you find a pair that overclock well, you can usually only tell by a few tenths of a second on a SuperPi run or maybe 1fps in your games. That's not nearly enough for the extra hundreds of dollars some will spend or the trouble they go through to find the perfect sticks.

You won't be hitting a good overclock unless you have good memory. Going from 266MHZ to 400MHZ memory speed won't do too much, but when you consider the fact that an E6600 at that FSB would be running at 3.6 GHZ, that's quite a bit faster than what you normally have.

buffbiff21
03-02-07, 01:37 AM
when you consider the fact that an E6600 at that FSB would be running at 3.6 GHZ, that's quite a bit faster than what you normally have.

DDR2 800? :|

The memory will not be overclocked if you keep your bus speeds running at a 1:1 ratio with the memory. Remember DDR2 is double data rate, Conroes are quad thus 400x2=800 and 400x9=3600.

If you run @ 3.6 you will not need good memory. If you have an e6400 or 6300 and want a huge OC, then you will.

Xion X2
03-05-07, 05:56 PM
You won't be hitting a good overclock unless you have good memory. Going from 266MHZ to 400MHZ memory speed won't do too much, but when you consider the fact that an E6600 at that FSB would be running at 3.6 GHZ, that's quite a bit faster than what you normally have.

That's why I said "good timings" and "good speed" in every one of my replies on this topic, Zelda.

I never said don't go with "good memory." I just implied one shouldn't get all hot and bothered over a set of microns. All that is really needed is to take your desired FSB into consideration and find a pair of sticks that can hang. This obviously means that you wouldn't pick up a set of DDR533 sticks if you wanted to run a 1:1 ratio with an 1800FSB.

Many just make too much out of memory and spend more time/money than is really needed. Going that extra mile with memory just doesn't pay off as well as many other components.

stevemedes
03-05-07, 06:04 PM
DDR2 800? :|

The memory will not be overclocked if you keep your bus speeds running at a 1:1 ratio with the memory. Remember DDR2 is double data rate, Conroes are quad thus 400x2=800 and 400x9=3600.

If you run @ 3.6 you will not need good memory. If you have an e6400 or 6300 and want a huge OC, then you will.

That's why I got some D9's that are rated at 1000mhz =)

Slammin
03-05-07, 08:42 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227159

$204 after rebate.

Cujo91
03-16-07, 12:15 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227078

What do you guys think of these?

john19055
03-16-07, 06:16 PM
No the four sticks of PC2 6400C4 Dominators that I had was not micron they were promo IC's and they did do 1000mhz at 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.1v ,not all the PC2 6400C4 Dominators that had promo IC's were bad ,If I had not heard all the fuss about them being Promo IC's I would have thought they were good ,but in my case they were not bad,I had the 2.1 version which had the promo IC's and looking at newegg reviews ,I was not the only one that could do a 1000mhz with them ,It just like everthing else ,some overclock decent and others just sucks.But since I was able to trade up and it was just going to cost me around $70 to update all four sticks of my PC2 6400C4D to
PC2 8500C5 dominators,I thought I might as well since it was a good deal,and they overclock better ,One set will do 1200mhz at 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.3v plus I have the Dominator fan and the other set will do around 1160mhz.I run them at 800mhz anyway so that I can run it at 1:1 ratio,but I can run them with a little better timeing at 4-3-3-8-2T at 2.1v