Pages : [1] 2

stevemedes
03-01-07, 04:23 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2939

Looks pretty fekkin sweet.

stevemedes
03-01-07, 06:59 PM
Here's an interesting quote.

"We estimate the number of non-cache transistors in a dual-core Athlon 64 X2 to be approximately 94M, and the Barcelona core is around 247M"

Mr_LoL
03-01-07, 07:17 PM
Zomg. Looking very good for AMD.

Sazar
03-01-07, 07:18 PM
Product is currently sampling for signal integrity testing at various locations.

We should see more info forthcoming. Unfortunately bios' are pretty borked right now :(

|MaguS|
03-01-07, 07:19 PM
blah blah blah

I want to see real performance numbers before even thinking about getting it. Core 2 is out and has proven itself... time for AMD to step up or shut up.

methimpikehoses
03-01-07, 08:24 PM
Maybe it's time to buy some of that discount AMD stock.:clever:

J-Mag
03-01-07, 09:30 PM
Maybe it's time to buy some of that discount AMD stock.:clever:

Same thought crossed my mind today, but it is still a gamble. Anyway, the money is in Mobile and Servers. Intel is smoking AMD in the mobile sector.

a12ctic
03-01-07, 09:40 PM
Same thought crossed my mind today, but it is still a gamble. Anyway, the money is in Mobile and Servers. Intel is smoking AMD in the mobile sector.
Yeah, mabye, but AMD completly dominates the server market, the opterons are still better than the c2d based Xeons. The mobile market will pick up with the new chips too.

J-Mag
03-01-07, 09:44 PM
Yeah, mabye, but AMD completly dominates the server market, the opterons are still better than the c2d based Xeons. The mobile market will pick up with the new chips too.

If AMD can leverage their chipset division (ATI), then they definitely have a chance of gaining more market share in the mobile market.

Are there any competing strategies to Centrino?

a12ctic
03-01-07, 09:56 PM
If AMD can leverage their chipset division (ATI), then they definitely have a chance of gaining more market share in the mobile market.

Just the turion series right now, which was pretty competative with the last gen mobile chips. Hopefully the 65nm+other changes will help that sector out.

Redeemed
03-01-07, 09:56 PM
Sounds awesome. Maybe I should hold off on that quad-core Core2 rig. Then again, if I'm understanding that article correctly neither AMD nor Intel intend to have a specific architecture for very long. Meaning sockets could be changing more rapidly as well.

Alaa
03-02-07, 04:56 AM
No!
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6293
When asked if AMD has plans to launch an Intel Centrino-like mobile platform, Polster denied such plans. “There is no such plan. In fact, a Centrino-like platform is not a very good strategy for AMD. If we limit our business partners to develop along the lines of a platform we set, then all PC products will eventually develop into similar solutions, which in the end would lead to a price war and minimize profits for all our partners,” said Polster. “We believe in a open platform so our business partners can build and develop products that build on their strengths.”

CaptNKILL
03-02-07, 05:54 AM
Sounds interesting... I think...

Heh, architecture doesn't really mean anything to me. If its faster than Core 2, stable, runs cool, and is well priced, I'll buy one.

shadow001
03-02-07, 09:46 AM

Heh, architecture doesn't really mean anything to me. If its faster than Core 2, stable, runs cool, and is well priced, I'll buy one.

Or 2 Quad core barcelonas since my board supports them right off the bat....:D

nekrosoft13
03-02-07, 10:32 AM

your amd fanboyism is so pathethic

The Woodcrest platform performed very well, exceeding our initial expectations. It is the fastest in all of the tests and completely dominates our benchmarks. The new Xeon 5100 series helps Intel to get back on track, providing class-leading server/workstation processors. The now older 5000-series (Dempsey) Xeon, based on the Netburst architecture, is often last in the competition and merely serves as a point of reference in our tests.

Intel has retaken the throne from AMD in the server/workstation sector and sent AMD back to the drawing board. Next month Intel will release the quad core Clovertown CPU with 2 combined Woodcrest cores. AMD is ready for this threat with the introduction of their X4 Opteron, which is reported to have a L3 cache. Servers will benefit more from these quad core processors than desktop users due to the limited deployment of multithreaded-capable applications in the desktop sector in comparison to the server sector.

In mid-2007 AMD is expected to answer Intel's new threat with a line of faster Opterons utilizing the new Socket F, as well as support for DDR2 memory.

The Intel Xeon 5160, a.k.a. Woodcrest, will simply be the most powerful server CPU this year (though it's not yet available for purchase of course). As our extrapolated calculations show, even a 2.6 GHz Woodcrest will outperform the current Opteron 285 with a 5 to 55% margin, nothing short of impressive.

On average, the new Xeon offers the best performance per Watt: it is almost 93% more than the Netburst-based Dempsey, 43% more than the AMD Opteron, and 74% more than the Sun UltraSparc T1. Although these figures are not representative for all the various servers and applications, we can conclude hat Woodcrest is quite an efficient chip, which seems to be hardly bothered by its external memory controller and warmer FB-DIMM modules at the system level. The average performance gains of 23% to 31% above the competition further add to the good impression that the CPU makes

Here, too, things do not look too bright for AMD. For every Opteron one can find a similarly or lower priced Woodcrest, that is faster and/or more energy efficient.

do you want more?

ViN86
03-02-07, 10:32 AM
blah blah blah

I want to see real performance numbers before even thinking about getting it. Core 2 is out and has proven itself... time for AMD to step up or shut up.
you have a problem with ****ing on everything AMD does.

two years ago, i bet you had your tongue up their ass, now you just trash them. they will rise again, and they will fall again. its just how the industry works. theres no need to take a giant dump on everything they try to do.

Sounds awesome. Maybe I should hold off on that quad-core Core2 rig. Then again, if I'm understanding that article correctly neither AMD nor Intel intend to have a specific architecture for very long. Meaning sockets could be changing more rapidly as well.
me too. but if it doesnt pan out so well, my C2D rig will become a reality.

yes, this is how it should be. but its funny to watch the hypocrisy of the ex-AMD fanboys that jumped ship. i dont care about the company name, so im not going to crap on them before i see results.

on a different note, i am excited to see how this turns out. the SSE128 execution looks awesome. also interested to see how their bottleneck cuts will payoff (if they payoff).

stevemedes
03-02-07, 01:17 PM
Bah, no need to argue. This is actually my first Intel rig I've EVER built. I've had Cyrix 333, K6-2 400, K6-2 450, Duron 600, Duron 800, Tbird 1.0, Tbird 1.2, Athlon XP 2800, Athlon 64 2800, Athlon 64 X2 3800 and now C2D. If I see that AMD regains the upper hand, guess what I'll buy? in the meantime I hope AMD the best, as I'll always have a special place in my heart for them :)

J-Mag
03-02-07, 01:45 PM
No!
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6293

Well thats bad news for AMD. Even if they want it to be "open" they should create a branding that signifies this open standard. I don't have any hope for AMD to pull any significant gains in the mobile sector.

Alaa
03-02-07, 03:23 PM
Well thats bad news for AMD. Even if they want it to be "open" they should create a branding that signifies this open standard. I don't have any hope for AMD to pull any significant gains in the mobile sector.
Yes, this is exactly what I thought about! I hope they revise their plans in the future.

Subtestube
03-02-07, 03:38 PM
Just a note - yes, Barcelona looks awesome, but for those of you holding off, AMD plan to launch Barcelona based Opteron's first, so if you're looking for Consumer level chips, you'll be waiting until some time in Q3. I guess it depends on how satisfied you are with your current system if you can wait that long, but being realistic, you've probably got almost half a year to wait for "Athlon" level chips (I wonder if they'll change branding?)

Redeemed
03-02-07, 05:27 PM
I just got this Opty185 based rig up and running. On an ASUS A8N32 SLi Dlx, 2GB DDR500 (soon to be 4GB :naughty: ) with dual GTSs. I think I could wait. :cool: :p

But, I was wanting to build what will become my primary rig in a few months. This current rig (Opty185) would become my secondary rig. I was originally gonna' go with a Q6600- but maybe I should wait and see if Barcelona will tromp the C2D or not. It wouldn't be much longer of a wait. I guess I'll just have to "cross that bridge when I get there". :p

shadow001
03-02-07, 05:57 PM
I've been running this AMD QuadFX setup with 2 dual core athlons at 2.6 ghz a piece,4 gigs of DDR 800 ram and a 7950 GX2 card,backed up by 4 10 000 RPM Maxtor atlas scsi hard drives using an adaptec 29320 scsi card,so i'm cool for the time being to say the least....

Fact is,for all practical purposes,the only thing i see changing anytime soon is the video card,since the system will only perform faster as time goes on and more software becomes more multithreaded.....Never mind the fact that i can put 2 Quad core barcelonas later on when they get relatively cheap,as it likely won't be because i need the extra speed anytime soon....:D

Though even if the barcelonas only match the performance of the C2D at the same clock speed,the system will really be nuts with 8 cores under the hood no matter what....:D

walterman
03-02-07, 08:50 PM
I hope it overclocks well too, cause those c2d chips are very good overclockers.

shadow001
03-02-07, 09:52 PM
I hope it overclocks well too, cause those c2d chips are very good overclockers.

Honestly,and this is just my opinion of course,with 4 CPU cores in one Die,and given all the changes in the architecture,to make the barcelona chips much better performers,when operating at the same clocks that current athlon chips work at,you'll get a hell of a lot of CPU power under the hood,so the need to overclock a 4 processor system kinda escapes me,as even at stock clocks,the system is waiting for the user most of the time,not the other way around...:p.

CaptNKILL
03-03-07, 09:01 AM
Honestly,and this is just my opinion of course,with 4 CPU cores in one Die,and given all the changes in the architecture,to make the barcelona chips much better performers,when operating at the same clocks that current athlon chips work at,you'll get a hell of a lot of CPU power under the hood,so the need to overclock a 4 processor system kinda escapes me,as even at stock clocks,the system is waiting for the user most of the time,not the other way around...:p.
Waiting for the user? :p

How about games? There are still massively CPU limited portions of games and its only going to get worse as polygon counts increase and physics are improved. The more CPU power the better. Overclocking is a no brainer for most people who buy high end hardware.