PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS Overclocking

CaiNaM
03-01-07, 09:52 PM
using atitool, i found my memory is stable up to 1050Mhz, but didn't feel necessary to go beyond that, however the overclock doesn't seem to hold using either atitool or rivatuner. regardless of the setting, the hardware monitor in rt shows 792mhz...

anyone tell me what's going on? thanks!

john19055
03-02-07, 11:44 AM
Are you sure that it is even overclocking the memory at all.I would just use one of them at a time ,and uninstall the other.I don't know what windows you are useing ,Is it Windows XP ,Vista 32bit or vista 64bit.In windows XP ,RivaTuner works good and with vista32bit ATiTOOL seems to work the best,

swaaye
03-02-07, 02:14 PM
I can't overclock my RAM with the 97.72 drivers. With ATITool I can run 3000 MHz RAM (LOL!). That's 6000 MHz DDR, btw. Doesn't seem likely, heh.

Rivatuner doesn't work either. nTune might be working, but it's upper limit is pathetic. And nTune just is awful in general, IMO. No profiles = no go.

SLippe
03-02-07, 02:30 PM
Rivatuner works fine for me on my GTS in WinXP 32bit. I'm sitting pretty at 600/900 at the moment. That 650/1000 didn't work out to well. Haven't messed with it much, hell, the card is fast enough.

gulizard
03-02-07, 03:01 PM
I use to be limited to what I could do. I manage to get 620 Core, and 1020 Memory with this new board. My old nforce4 board wouldn't let me go past 580 core and 1000 memory.

methimpikehoses
03-02-07, 10:51 PM
I was getting it to 650/1050 w/o problems. I get artifacts at 1100 or so.

CaiNaM
03-03-07, 12:18 AM
apparently there's overclocking issues with the 97.92 drivers (rivatuner can't read them properly). there's a "workaround", but i really didn't understand it, and couldn't seem to get it to work. ntune is a PoS for me; it either just doesn't work, or it causes reboots, so i just re-wrote the bios to boot with the overclocked settings (no o/c issues w/ vista this way).

since it's hard-coded, i went a little conservative. here's how it's looking now:

http://www.cet.com/~maniac/pix/ntune.JPG

much nicer; no overclocking hassles as it's not the "factory shipped" clocks :D

john19055
03-03-07, 02:48 AM
I am useing the 97.92 drivers with my 8800GTS SLI and it works fine with Rivatuner ,it will even hold my clocks after a reboot or after the system has been turned off,with a profile set-up..Plus the fan control works with it too,I just use ATITOOL to find my max overclocks with SLI ,660/1967,all my games will run at that speed and I notice no artifacts in my games ,but with ATITOOL at 900 I have one pin size or about the size of this dot ( . ) that blinks in one spot and nothing else but that one dot in the same place.games look fine ,ever game I have played so far ,HL2,HLepisodes,Doom3FarCryROE ,Prey,NFSMW,NFSC,NFSPU,PK,SIN,and Sinepisodes,COD2,UnReal,Quake4Juiced,SS,SSII.MP,MP 2,Fear,FEP and Flatout2 and a few others it will go to 988 on the memory before I start getting a secound artifact and I have it set all the way left I have'not made up my mind where I want to keep it at ,I am thinking 643/1800 since my shaders will go to the next step of 1512 and I can't get it to 665 to get the next step of 1566 and besides it is very stable at 643/1800,I wish it had 1.1ns memory on it so I could hit 2000 or a mod that shows me how to raise the voltage just a little ,like you could with the 7900GT ,but I think that was just the core on the 7900GT but it was simple and worked great.

Maverickman
03-04-07, 09:38 AM
He's using Windows XP. You can get it to look a lot like Vista with a special program. Unfortunately, you can't use DX10 with it. Eventually, you'll have to upgrade to use DX10 games.

CaiNaM
03-05-07, 08:12 PM
He's using Windows XP. You can get it to look a lot like Vista with a special program. Unfortunately, you can't use DX10 with it. Eventually, you'll have to upgrade to use DX10 games.

yes, it's xp with windowblinds (among a few other utilities).

and well, you can't really use dx10 in vista either :P

at least until we see what, if any real advantages there will actually be in dx10, there are far more reasons NOT to get vista than there are to get it. the only reason i'm running it at all is i need to know the tech..

SLippe
03-06-07, 12:41 AM
Rivatuner works fine for me on my GTS in WinXP 32bit. I'm sitting pretty at 600/900 at the moment. That 650/1000 didn't work out to well. Haven't messed with it much, hell, the card is fast enough.
My fan control works with Rivatuner and NTune as well. I have it at 100% all the time. Also, I forgot to mention, that this is with the 97.92 drivers. Works after reboot and after system has been shut-down. I'm back at stock speeds for now. Might overclock again soon, we'll see.

CaiNaM
03-06-07, 01:02 AM
My fan control works with Rivatuner and NTune as well. I have it at 100% all the time. Also, I forgot to mention, that this is with the 97.92 drivers. Works after reboot and after system has been shut-down. I'm back at stock speeds for now. Might overclock again soon, we'll see.

i haven't tried the fan (they are at stock settings), but my gpu overclock would come back up after the system restarted, as well as the overclocked memory setting.. the problem was, the memory was NOT running at what it was set to (according to rivatuner's hardware monitor).

I do believe i found the issue within the 97.92 changelog tho:

Changelog/Release Notes

Single GPU Mode:

*Memory clock changes cannot be performed in multi-monitor mode.
This issue does not apply to single-display mode.

i'm running dual monitors; the 320mb card was running single monitor (and the mem clocks changed as i stated earlier).

SLippe
03-06-07, 01:23 AM
i haven't tried the fan (they are at stock settings), but my gpu overclock would come back up after the system restarted, as well as the overclocked memory setting.. the problem was, the memory was NOT running at what it was set to (according to rivatuner's hardware monitor).

I do believe i found the issue within the 97.92 changelog tho:

Changelog/Release Notes

Single GPU Mode:

*Memory clock changes cannot be performed in multi-monitor mode.
This issue does not apply to single-display mode.

i'm running dual monitors; the 320mb card was running single monitor (and the mem clocks changed as i stated earlier).
Ah, cool, glad you found the problem. I'm running single monitor. Maybe they'll have that fixed in the next driver release, whenever the hell that may be! :rolleyes:

Blackwhite
03-14-07, 05:20 PM
Hi
I have problem with memory O/C my card.
Even when I set on 850 MHz in Hardware monitoring it's still 837 MHz max.
I have 97.92 drivers.

john19055
03-14-07, 10:54 PM
Ther is a easy way to overclock your Evga 640mb 8800GTS and 8800GTX without useing a third party program.

SLippe
03-14-07, 11:01 PM
Ther is a easy way to overclock your Evga 640mb 8800GTS and 8800GTX without useing a third party program.
And that would be? How 'bout elaborating on it instead of just making a comment about it.

Rivatuner works for me. I'm using the 97.92 set with WinXP 32bit. ATITool is the suck. ATITool showed mine okay at 650/2000, but when it came to game time, that was a no go. I'm thinkin' the 650 was okay, but the memory didn't like it that high. I've just been sittin' at 600/900 (1800) since. Hell, not like you're goin' to tell the difference between a few mhz anyways.

john19055
03-14-07, 11:48 PM
Not how the Evga update is supposed to be used. Useing Nibitor and changeing clocks

Vagabond
03-15-07, 02:54 PM
A BIOS OC is the best choice...been doing it forever, no problems :)