PDA

View Full Version : The "new" Warhawk.

Bad_Boy
03-02-07, 08:54 PM
http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vids_1.html
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/TTPGAF/ignweekly_episode38_qthighw.gif

IGN weekly is up with details on the new warhawk.

Summary taken from gaf
- PSN Downloadable Title, Online Only.
- 32 Players are confirmed, they might increase it, but definitely won't decrease it.
- Maps are HUGE! Maybe bigger than Resistance Maps.
- All the match types are there: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Zone/Territory, etc etc...
- Deep Character and Vehicle Customization
- Dedicated Servers
- Voice IP Support.
- Will feature alot of Downloadable content
- Controls configurations are great. You can turn SIXAXIS On or Off for Vehicles, Planes, or both...
- Stat tracking (2500 statistics that get recorded for you to view in this game), medals/badges/ranks/ribbons

and oh yeah, the graphics look a lot better, even the ground parts look way more polished.

30 dollars would be perfect for it.

IGN editor on warkhaw
http://blogs.ign.com/Greggy-IGN/2007/03/02/48288/

Hey--

Since the PS3's debut, I've been waiting for a title that would make me so crazed that I'd buy the $600 machine just to get a taste of the drop-dead awesome gaming experience.

Today, I played Warhawk.

Awesome weapons, customizable characters, phenomenal multiplayer and some sweet graphics.

Ring up the PS3, shopkeeper. I'm sold.
Greg

Best downloadable console title ever. Can't wait. :D

|MaguS|
03-02-07, 09:05 PM
I bet they went downloadable because well Warhawk doesn't have that great of a story background... so why not just make it about fighting. Atleast they didn't just scrap the project like many other developers do... just take what works and release it! :D

Bad_Boy
03-02-07, 09:11 PM
I bet they went downloadable because well Warhawk doesn't have that great of a story background... so why not just make it about fighting. Atleast they didn't just scrap the project like many other developers do... just take what works and release it! :D
Couldn't agree more. Indirectly, I think its also a way for sony to start differentiating in the online marketplace. Offering full fledged games that could sell on retail shelves, but instead putting them as online only on the PS Store for a cheaper price. Download content will probably be pretty big for this game as well looking at all the customization stuff in the video. Looks damn cool. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw other games that took this route.

Shadowrun for example on the 360, basically a online based game with little to no story just like warhawk, I could see people buying that on the 360 marketplace.

Edge
03-02-07, 09:12 PM
Ugh, online only? What a disappointment, so all those presentations we saw before where they showed you fighting against an armada of flying ships and enemy planes amounted to nothing? Well, that sucks, I should've assumed something was wrong when they added the ground vehicle combat to the game. No arial combat game that's had ground combat added to it has ever come out unscathed...

Bad_Boy
03-02-07, 09:15 PM
No arial combat game that's had ground combat added to it has ever come out unscathed...
How many games have done that specifically?

I mean looking at the video, the ground combat looks way more polished than it did before. Gives me a battlefield vibe. And more importantly the people (press) playing this at incog have said it's fun. Which at the end of the day all that matters.

Edge
03-02-07, 09:49 PM
How many games have done that specifically?
Star Fox and Rogue Leader come to mind. Not that there were many aerial combat games to begin with, I was looking forward to Warhawk being the first good one since Crimson Skies on the Xbox. Maybe it will still turn out OK, but with what looks like a bigger emphasis on ground vehicles and land battles, and planes looking to take on a supporting role more than anything since it looks like much of the game is now based on urban environments, it kinda seems to abandon the things that made the original Warhawk so good.

Actually, why WAS there such a shift to multiplayer? All the previous showings of it were strictly single-player. It isn't even going to have the single-player portions we saw at E3 2006?

|MaguS|
03-02-07, 09:54 PM
Actually, why WAS there such a shift to multiplayer? All the previous showings of it were strictly single-player. It isn't even going to have the single-player portions we saw at E3 2006?

From the developers... they basically said that it wasn't that good and they didn't feel that they should lie to the public and release a crappy SP game with great MP. So they scrapped SP and are fully focused on the MP.

The videos of it look great, very fast and lots of action. The planes dont look like they took a back seat at all, theres alot of room to use them, the levels look HUGE!

Bad_Boy
03-02-07, 09:58 PM
Star Fox and Rogue Leader come to mind. Not that there were many aerial combat games to begin with, I was looking forward to Warhawk being the first good one since Crimson Skies on the Xbox. Maybe it will still turn out OK, but with what looks like a bigger emphasis on ground vehicles and land battles, and planes looking to take on a supporting role more than anything since it looks like much of the game is now based on urban environments, it kinda seems to abandon the things that made the original Warhawk so good.Fair enough, thats a valid complaint.

Actually, why WAS there such a shift to multiplayer? All the previous showings of it were strictly single-player. It isn't even going to have the single-player portions we saw at E3 2006?Well I guess they decided there wasnt really much you could do in single player, the multiplayer already looks way more in depth than many games I've seen. But they did show multiplayer only at TGS. Maybe they got a positive reception and decided to go that route.

OWA
03-03-07, 11:39 AM
Hmm, that's kind of disappointing to me since I'm mostly interested in SP (although I have been playing MP a little recently).

LiquidX
03-03-07, 05:27 PM
I would rather it be single player also with missions but atleast they didn't totally abandon it. I would really like to know what went so wrong though being that it looked promising.

Bad_Boy
03-10-07, 05:30 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/Forsete/warhawksol.gif
volumetric lighting ftw. :)

NaitoSan
03-10-07, 05:39 AM
I have to admit it does look better than E3 build. The physics of Warhawk feels like original Warhawk for PSX... which is just so awesome. I'll buy it even if it's online only. Disappointed but glad it's not cancelled completely.